• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Yeah, Howard probably used all that money he took from us fanboys for good plastic surgery... I never really ordered much from him. Like Mitch said, he would always send something else I didn't want. I had to scrimp and save for EC's then I would get a Blackhawk? WTF? I did get a lot of stuff from Robert Bell and especially Bill Thailing. My dad would yell at me for "running up the phone bill for those stupid funny books".

I forgot running up the phone bill for those stupid books. I would talk to Gerber in the 80s and my mom would get real mad at phone bill WOW.

On tv the other day i saw Perry Mason him and Paul was driving a corvette went into a hotel and there was an old Donald Duck rack anyone see that episode

Edited by woowoo

Yeah, Howard probably used all that money he took from us fanboys for good plastic surgery... I never really ordered much from him. Like Mitch said, he would always send something else I didn't want. I had to scrimp and save for EC's then I would get a Blackhawk? WTF? I did get a lot of stuff from Robert Bell and especially Bill Thailing. My dad would yell at me for "running up the phone bill for those stupid funny books".

lol Yes siree, Howard was a real stickler for listing alternates. I rarely ordered from the others, especially after I started attending conventions and joined OAF. Since the club had monthly meetings which were little more than opportunities to buy, sell & trade, most of the mail order business became redundant. Also, with the growth of collector tradezines like RBCC, and later Alan Light's Buyer's Guide, everything was covered.

Well, before the floodgates open in your awesome thread of world class junk, here's a bit of mine.

It's a mixed assortment of old & new (reproduction), rare & not-so-rare, but kewl...

3dc6a4f7-b598-40fe-9f8a-da3cb1d646a2_zps5416ee92.jpg

3cffe89c-3f9b-46b3-ae66-bc7e24fd7d4e_zps0982c562.jpg

a00a2b16-4780-46c5-be7b-dcdc52964123_zps374706c2.jpg

b05ff4b9-b242-4392-8215-90be8dd29658_zps4660e2fc.jpg

There's more and better images, but when it comes to collectibles, I like to tease. :grin:

My name is Robot Man and I am obsessed with junk!

Well we're certainly in accord on the latter point.

So now I live in a house full of comics, toys, premiums, advertising stuff rock 'n roll items and other symbols of "Americana".

Sounds good to me! Do you take boarders?

My name is Robot Man and I am obsessed with junk!

Well we're certainly in accord on the latter point.

So now I live in a house full of comics, toys, premiums, advertising stuff rock 'n roll items and other symbols of "Americana".

Sounds good to me! Do you take boarders?

I don't think he takes in strays unless they're neutered. :baiting:

I bought from Howard but he would substitute books every time I ordered a ga book. Does anybody know what ever happened to him

Apparently he turned up at the last NYCC. I'm sorry I missed him.

Hi Gang. My name is Robot Man and I am obsessed with junk! I have lurked on these boards for a while now and thought I'd sign up for the fun.

Thank you for joining the forum and sharing your incredible collection. As diverse as it is, I don't see anything that isn't great. Congrats on being a superior hunter (and finder) of the kind of "junk" some of us can't get enough of.

OK, a couple more. First up is my meager comic load from Brimfield, MA a few years ago. If you haven't been you gotta put it on the bucket list. I go about every other May. The Spy Smasher, Marvel Mystery and Wonder Woman #2 were bought in Addamstown a few days before at Retinggers. A guy had a huge pile of paper from a house clean. Got 3 BLB's and a Capt Midnight manual as well. Everything in the pile a 10 spot a piece! The comics were at the bottom. You gotta dig. The Mickey was from a doll shop my wife dragged me to. I think the lady felt sorry for me and pulled it out of a drawer and sold it to me. The other stuff was from the fields in Brimfield. I loved the Planet and Scoop.

brim07comics_zpse8dea6db.jpg

Here's a load I bought as a lot at the Portland Expo antique show years ago. Probably the best indoor antique show left in the country for treasure hunting. I always find comics because it always frickin rains there and kids were locked in. This was fun.

comicfindrosebowl_zpsb44f71fc.jpg

Richard Love your Dell rack. I like how it folds flat. I have one similar that says: "Hey Kids! Comics!" at the top. I use it when I do the flea markets and put cheap comics for kids in it. They love to bend them just like well did. Funny story about your rack. I saw one like yours at a toy show once just as Theo Holstein was buying it. Damn! I bump into him all the time at shows here. He's a character but real cool to talk to. He, like many of us still "loves the stuff". Now don't bite my head off gang, I love everybody!

Theo, you say . . .

TheoHolstein_zpsed6dd6b7.jpg

I'll never forget the day we parked in front of Collector's Books on Wilcox (my older half-brother John C. driving) on our way (from San Diego) to Cherokee. "Am I crazy or is that little house some kind of bookstore?" Even then I could hardly afford to shop at two stores, and Leonard would always rag me as I stumbled in dazed having shot the bulk of my paper-route money wad at Burt's... I chased down a couple of Daring Mystery early issues, but the colorful second bananas couldn't break my loyalty to Supe and Bats. Thanks RM & MM for the memories - 'cause that's all I have from those days - but they are SWEET !!!

Pat

(I lie. I do have the 'tear sheets' of 'Swamp Monster' and 'Brain Bats' from one of my one-cent coverless copies... but that's it.)

img880.jpg

I was Banned from Collector's Books twice...something about wasting their time... doh! I walked into their Hollywood blvd store 10 years later and Leonard still remembered me. He said, "Didn't we ban you?" It's nice to be remembered. :roflmao:

As long as were reminiscing...what was the guy's name that ran Bond St. Books, and then another bookstore that sold comics in Burbank in the 90s? I saw him in 94 and he remembered me too. He was always sarcastic...but funny.

Edited by tricolorbrian

Hi Gang. My name is Robot Man and I am obsessed with junk! I have lurked on these boards for a while now and thought I'd sign up for the fun.

As you can see my collection is very diverse and my interests are wide.

Thank you for joining the forum and sharing your incredible collection. As diverse as it is, I don't see anything that isn't great.

Robot Man's got the right idea though. Diversity is the key, regardless of "value"!

I'm waiting for him to display some of the toys that he's acquired from his youth, which sounds like it was in the mid to late fifties just a few years before mine.

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

Wow, that boat is killer!!! Is it an old Marklin? I had one once but foolishly sold it. Show some some stuff. I love this !

No, but a Märklin steam or clockwork warship of the era would be super-cool. :cloud9:

This is a museum quality replica of the Indiana Class Battleship USS Oregon.

The Oregon was part of the Cuban campaign in the Spanish-American War (Battle of Santago).

A low freeboard, pre-drednaught design with projected bow for ramming.

The circular pill-box style gun turrets were a hold-over from the Civil War monitor designs.

cd1c2843-1dd1-4e74-a5fe-5cd5a868d706_zpsd8b93e77.jpg

Here's the link to the site... http://www.maritimereplicasamerica.com/models.html

The USS Oregon is also linked there.

[font:Times New Roman]Wow!!![/font] > I haven't visited the Maritime Replicas site in awhile! :o

Check out the USS Tin Toy design (image link below)... http://www.maritimereplicasamerica.com/us-navy.html

http://nebula.wsimg.com/d3689e321ea4e802e434eab0ba19c97d?AccessKeyId=072D6BFBFDC223AF0D80&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

That bad boy is now officially on my wish list!!! About as close to Märklin in quality as you'll find anywhere. (thumbs u

As you can see my collection is very diverse and my interests are wide.

Thank you for joining the forum and sharing your incredible collection. As diverse as it is, I don't see anything that isn't great.

Robot Man's got the right idea though. Diversity is the key, regardless of "value"!

I'm waiting for him to display some of the toys that he's acquired from his youth, which sounds like it was in the mid to late fifties just a few years before mine.

:cool:

Yep,glad you found this thread Hep!I saw it and thought of all the great stuff you posted in my Positive thread in Comics General.

This is bound to be my favourite thread all year!

Boogie down and show your stuff around Sirs and Misters and Ladies!

Mr Robot....do you have any record/music stuff more to share?

And forgive my manners...thank you for sharing and WTTBs!!!

Jimmers