• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

And oh yes, there were comics as well. It rains a lot up there so I always find a decent amount of vintage comics. This time was no exception. I paid no more than $20. for any of these. Basically $2-$20 each. They come from people doing house clean outs and estate sales in the area. Best part was virtually NO competition. Nothing earth shattering like you San Diego guys got but I was real happy! I doubt if any of you guys got a Baker Diary secrets for $3. in vg, or Rulah for $5., or The Kid Colt Outlaw Kirby monster issue for $2... The Spy Smasher Hitler cover and Doc Savage #2 were cool to find as well.

portland%20704comics_zpsmfzhkii0.jpg

portlandcomics05_zpsuathnh1v.jpg

And oh yes, there were comics as well. It rains a lot up there so I always find a decent amount of vintage comics. This time was no exception. I paid no more than $20. for any of these. Basically $2-$20 each. They come from people doing house clean outs and estate sales in the area. Best part was virtually NO competition. Nothing earth shattering like you San Diego guys got but I was real happy! I doubt if any of you guys got a Baker Diary secrets for $3. in vg, or Rulah for $5., or The Kid Colt Outlaw Kirby monster issue for $2... The Spy Smasher Hitler cover and Doc Savage #2 were cool to find as well.

Who needs a trip to San Diego when you make discoveries like these?!

I am totally in awe of your collectible-hunting prowess, especially when you land a Diary Secrets #28 with a Baker cover for just $3. With only one on the CGC census with a 3.0, you might have one of the best copies around.

All this talk about San Diego Con is making me a little nostalgic... Anyone remember before it got out of hand? When you could just walk up to a creator shoot the breeze and get a few autographs without paying or thinking about "Signature Series" and putting it on ebay? When the "greats" roamed the floor and sat by the pool at the El Cortez. This week, time permitting, I will feature some books I had signed over the years at San Diego Con. If it is permitted and OK with you, I'll throw in some cool SA and Underground books as well. These are mostly "old school" signatures. Would not pass muster with the "slabbing gods" but I know they are real and very special to me.

First up is one of my favorites. A heck of a nice guy. Always, friendly and looked great. I was very surprised when he passed away because he always looked so healthy. A giant in the biz and took a few moments out for me!

comspirit22b_zpss1ox19tc.jpg

comspirit22a_zps4opmjlgd.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

Sadly, I didn't get Wood on this one as I started it after he passed away. I would like to get Jack Davis but because of his age he probably doesn't travel much to it probably won't happen...

One of my favorite books. I have a high grade example but if I had to would sell it and keep this.

commad1tripplesign2_zpsnitowmqw.jpg

commad1tripplesign3_zpsw5ye8eoj.jpg

commad1tripplesign4_zpsubndmhfr.jpg

commad1tripplesign1_zpstobmkh6m.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

Great reads is right!

I have a few French language editions,and sometimes the translations are even funnier...see my sigline.Cue is literally arse in French...not bum.behind...arse ! lol queue darn spell check!

Edited by porcupine48

Congratulations on all the cool stuff you found!

I was in Oregon last summer and bought a bunch of stuff, but I didn't find anywhere near as much as you.

Thanks for posting pics, I loved seeing it all.

Congratulations on all the cool stuff you found!

I was in Oregon last summer and bought a bunch of stuff, but I didn't find anywhere near as much as you.

Thanks for posting pics, I loved seeing it all.

You got to go to one of the Expo Antique shows. They are in May, July and Oct. Probably the best indoor antique show left in the country. We are not just talking about old lamps, paintings, pottery ect. Lots of Advertising, Toys, Sports stuff and of course, some comics. July is the best because they have a huge out door show as well. I'm surprised that none of the comic collectors in the area go. I'm one of the only ones looking for them. A couple of the dealers save them for me. Lots of malls and shops in the area as well. I've got friends in the area so I had stuff to do other than just go "junking".

A hard to get signature. I believe this gentleman made only one trip to San Diego.

comshieldwizard2_zps31vrrzh7.jpg

comshieldwizard1_zpsgezx57ho.jpg

impressive haul all around sir. This one is a bragging rights signature to have. One of the best patriotic covers of the War era IMHO (thumbs u

All this talk about San Diego Con is making me a little nostalgic... Anyone remember before it got out of hand? When you could just walk up to a creator shoot the breeze and get a few autographs without paying or thinking about "Signature Series" and putting it on ebay? When the "greats" roamed the floor and sat by the pool at the El Cortez. This week, time permitting, I will feature some books I had signed over the years at San Diego Con. If it is permitted and OK with you, I'll throw in some cool SA and Underground books as well. These are mostly "old school" signatures. Would not pass muster with the "slabbing gods" but I know they are real and very special to me.

First up is one of my favorites. A heck of a nice guy. Always, friendly and looked great. I was very surprised when he passed away because he always looked so healthy. A giant in the biz and took a few moments out for me!

comspirit22b_zpss1ox19tc.jpg

comspirit22a_zps4opmjlgd.jpg

We would always stop and say hello to Will Eisner, he even met my kids when they were in strollers 13 years ago or so. I had him sign my Warren Spirit #1 to them. He always stopped to talk and never seemed to have a crowd around him. It was great that he was so accessible; people didn't know what they were missing! Great guy, I miss seeing him at the show.

Yeah, Eisner was one of the biggest names in comics in my humble opinion. He truly appreciated his fans. Along with EC his stuff is some of the best stuff ever done for comics. His storytelling as well as just beautiful art really sets him in a class by himself. Just take a look at that splash above. It just oozes mood and you can almost feel the cold dampness. A master that I think a lot of people take for granted. His books are a real bargain considering.