• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

And now something you don't see everyday, Underground artists!

I love Gilbert Shelton's Wonder Warthog stuff. This is my favorite one that he is "Superman" and he blows Lois Lane off his snout! Probably can't show it here...

And you just can't go wrong with this just beautiful Rick Griffin cover!

comzap3b_zpsmdbiytzk.jpg

comzap3a_zpsbwvjf08s.jpg

Awesome cover with the SUN/EYE chakra

19236081444_5122be2180_o.jpg

I remember owning several of these subs and playing with them in the sink or bath tub. We also had baking soda frogmen premiums but I didn't like them as much.

19236080644_6f235c2d87.jpg

Rockets were fun to own. There was more than one style if I remember correctly.

19858742685_8b3b1088c5_o.jpg

and I remember playing with several of these airplane premiums.

I don't have any of the above but do have some Lone Ranger premiums and a big bunch of Straight Arrow cards.

I remember owning several of these subs and playing with them in the sink or bath tub. We also had baking soda frogmen premiums but I didn't like them as much.

I remember those too. Kewl serial premiums; loadsa fun. :D

I don't have any of the above but do have some Lone Ranger premiums and a big bunch of Straight Arrow cards.

There were soooo many great toys back the 50's & 60's, the airplane premiums, baking soda subs, rockets, tanks, etc. Heck, at one point I had a Lionel train set with two types of rocket launchers (one hidden in a box car) & balloon target car, a working spring loaded helicopter launching car and a tension powered submarine (utilizing a rubber band motor) with it's own special flat-car. :cloud9:

Thanks for the photos BB. Those bring back memories don't they? I got the subs, PT boats and frogmen in the cereal boxes. I still have some of all of them that I picked up over the years. I also have the bigger sub in the box with the papers. This one, you had send away for with a boxtop and a dime or quarter.

I was very hot, muggy and pouring rain this weekend. We don't much weather like that out here. I really don't know how you people on the east coast and in the south deal with it. But, that is why I live here.

I did get to go to the weekly junk show though. I was going to sell but I gave away my ticket. People just don't buy on days like that. I ran into Carbo and a couple of his guys trying to sell movie programs. They were having a great time and said they were stalling to go home after San Diego. They didn't seem to mind the weather at all. I doubt they sold much...

The only guy making money was a guy that got lucky and cleaned out a garage full of comics, pulps, comic magazines ect. This stuff ran back to the early '70's. Lot of old San Diego con stuff too. I didn't get any comics because a guy was buying most of them when I walked up. I did get a whole paper box full of monster magazines and some decent pulps though. It was a real feeding frenzy. It was just too damn hot to fight over. After it was picked over, Carbo and his boys just bought him out. The guy left with an empty truck in two hours! I had a fun afternoon watching the rain and the Dodgers game with a box full of cool mags.

Edited by Robot Man

On Saturday, I couldn't go out side or ride my bike so I was looking through some pre-code horror boxes. I thought you might like to see a run of Mystery Tales because they seem to be so hot right now. I stupidly sold #1 and #19 at one time figuring I could easily replace them. Jokes on me I guess. I also need to slowly up grade a lot of them but it won't be easy. Kind of cool to see them all together. I have full runs of most pre-code horror titles and will try to shoot some more when I get the time.

My favorite one is #10 with the melting cover closely followed by #22 (Matt Fox cover) and #26 with the great whirlpool cover. What is your favorite?

commysterytalesa_zpsep5ozcoc.jpg

Hey there Robot Man....

If you ever need some cash...

Superman Comic Rack Topper Sells For 12 Times Expected Price

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/22/superman-comic-rack-topper-sells-for-12-times-expected-price/

There's a few other highlights in there too. Not that I want you to sell, not my thing, but just thought I'd share! :hi:

Mostly for the Superman stuff from the collection of Franco Toscanini, and if there are a few pieces that Dave Anderson needs it for his collection. There are a few new Buyers in the hobby that are spending big money for rare Superman collectibles and premiums.

Edited by detective35DF

Barks and Schomburg are the two that got away for me. I think I still have a Barks "file copy" that says "Property of Carl Barks" I believe. Love to see the Weird Science Fantasy and hear the back story if you met him.

Here's my meager Barks sig...I dropped in on him at his house in Goleta in '74 and asked him to sign this for me (kind of like what Sheldon did to Stan Lee in that BBT episode, but with nicer results lol ). I assume he did the cover, as he never said he didn't. He talked to my friend and I for an hour. What a gentleman...

3169fth.jpg