• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Last one and one of my favorites. Kelly Freas. He was at San Diego several times. Every time, I would bring a pile of MADs for him to sign. Mingo gets all the credit for the most classic MAD covers but my vote goes to Freas. Everyone a masterpiece. This is probably my favorite although it is a very hard choice. Great color and placement of his sig. My biggest regret is I didn't get a drawing from him of Alfred...

mad59_zps6u3ny6dc.jpg

Mais oiu,,c'est mon plaisir mon amis,merci beaucoup! lol

Unfortunately most Parisians think my French Canadian language is archaic and inferior....true story..as a waiter I served many tourists and they openly mocked my French,even though most would find me fairly fluent here(I am RIGHT beside Hull Quebec,can see it from my back window).

How rude.

Something a little different today. More pinbacks. This time in sets. The OCD that makes me a comic book collector also transfers over into pinbacks. Once you get a couple, you want to complete the set... I like finding beanies and hats to put them on. This is the way kids did it in the '30's and '40's. The "Jughead" hats were all the rage. These are all "second" dupe sets.

Speaking of Jughead, here is a cool cereal premium one. I just decided to put my spare vintage Archie one on it.

hatarchie_zpsx3s9atyt.jpg

I like this Schmoo hat a lot. This is a very mysterious set of pinbacks. I don't know who issued them but they are late 1940's. There is no info that I can find that tells how many in the set or what they are called. I have 17 different and am still missing one that I know of. Maybe that's it. Sets usually come in even numbers. The "Super Schmoo" is my favorite...

hatschmoo_zps0p4f4idt.jpg

And of course no subset of pinbacks would be complete with out a complete set of all 86 Kellogs Pep comic character pins on an original Pep beanie. These were issued in 3 series in 1945, 1947 and 1947. Superman is the only character that appeared in all 3 sets. The last year one are some of the more obscure characters but hardest to get. I assume, that like baseball cards, the end of a promotion is when the interest dies down and less are produced. I think the last one I had to find was Winnie's Twins. They used to be real common but they seem to be a little more challenging these days to complete a whole set. They sure look impressive on the beanie.

hatpeppins2_zpsksraeryb.jpg

hatpeppins1_zpsiutxnmu4.jpg

Great concept for displaying your collection! :applause:

Something a little different today. More pinbacks. This time in sets. The OCD that makes me a comic book collector also transfers over into pinbacks. Once you get a couple, you want to complete the set... I like finding beanies and hats to put them on. This is the way kids did it in the '30's and '40's. The "Jughead" hats were all the rage. These are all "second" dupe sets.

Speaking of Jughead, here is a cool cereal premium one. I just decided to put my spare vintage Archie one on it.

hatarchie_zpsx3s9atyt.jpg

I was unable to eat more than three or four boxes of PEP...it wasn't really very good!

mm

I remember someone who I won't mention by name tell me that he and his friends would go into the store and slit the bottom of the boxes with a razor blade and swipe the pins. Apparently, they would "settle" at the bottom of the box during shipment. (He didn't like the cereal either).

Those promotions worked pretty good. I remember begging my mom to buy some cereal to get those baking powder frogmen in the early '60's.

Here is a late '40's Capt. Marvel beanie. This is a complete set of all Fawcett issued pinbacks. I had them all, found a few more and just added to this set until I completed it and put them on this beanie.

hatcaptmarvel_zpsvxy24cgf.jpg

Great junk as usual, RM :applause:

Could this beanie have been a premium/promotion associated with the rather strange "The Good Humor Man" film of 1950?

I seem to recall the kids in it had beanies that resemble this one.

Here is a late '40's Capt. Marvel beanie. This is a complete set of all Fawcett issued pinbacks. I had them all, found a few more and just added to this set until I completed it and put them on this beanie.

hatcaptmarvel_zpsvxy24cgf.jpg

Great junk as usual, RM :applause:

Could this beanie have been a premium/promotion associated with the rather strange "The Good Humor Man" film of 1950?

I seem to recall the kids in it had beanies that resemble this one.

That could be true but they were offered to any kid with a quarter as well as other "nifty" stuff. The Capt. Marvel Statue is exceedingly rare especially if not broken at the legs.

fawcettpremiumlist_zpsftakiogo.jpg

<a  href=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7412/9682216374_3f6b8c4dfb_z.jpg' alt='9682216374_3f6b8c4dfb_z.jpg'>IMG PEP & COMIC BUTTONS

mm

Thanks Marty! It amazes me still that there is someone on these boards who could have gotton these when they came out.

Sometimes it amazes me!

mm