• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

I know, not GA but a cool one anyway. Funny story here. I got all three on the same day. I got Nodel to sign first. When I approached Kane he was pissed that Nodel signed "his" creation and wouldn't sign it. But Schwartz convinced him to do it. Kind of a cool 3 way autograph I think.

comshowcase22b_zps3bp3wuvf.jpg

comshowcase22a_zpsrw7esydv.jpg

No thread on signatures would be right without the "King". I got this as well as all the number ones of Mr Miracle, New Gods, Omac, Kamandi and most of his Jimmy Olsens signed at one time. I was the only one talking to him! A funny side note, I thing one of the Jimmy Olsen's still has a spot of ash from his cigar inside the front cover where he signed it! Whatta ya think? Worth less now?

comforeverpeople1b_zpsbasn3pzl.jpg

comforeverpeople1a_zpspes21opt.jpg

No thread on signatures would be right without the "King". I got this as well as all the number ones of Mr Miracle, New Gods, Omac, Kamandi and most of his Jimmy Olsens signed at one time. I was the only one talking to him! A funny side note, I thing one of the Jimmy Olsen's still has a spot of ash from his cigar inside the front cover where he signed it! Whatta ya think? Worth less now?

comforeverpeople1b_zpsbasn3pzl.jpg

comforeverpeople1a_zpspes21opt.jpg

Worthless.Better send it here before it sulies your other books....

That's epic! Did you get it yourself? Barks and Schomburg are the two that got away for me. I think I still have a Barks "file copy" that says "Property of Carl Barks" I believe. Love to see the Weird Science Fantasy and hear the back story if you met him.

That's epic! Did you get it yourself? Barks and Schomburg are the two that got away for me. I think I still have a Barks "file copy" that says "Property of Carl Barks" I believe. Love to see the Weird Science Fantasy and hear the back story if you met him.

Alas, no - would have loved to, but geography dictated otherwise. My wife tracked down that copy for me (provenance is pretty good) for a birthday years ago. The Feldstein one was another second hand win - from a boardie who forgot it was there and graciously told me to keep it when i pointed it out to him and offered it back.

I know, not GA but a cool one anyway. Funny story here. I got all three on the same day. I got Nodel to sign first. When I approached Kane he was pissed that Nodel signed "his" creation and wouldn't sign it. But Schwartz convinced him to do it. Kind of a cool 3 way autograph I think.

comshowcase22b_zps3bp3wuvf.jpg

comshowcase22a_zpsrw7esydv.jpg

Ha! Ha! Great Gil Kane story. I met him a couple times and found him to be quite the pretentious egotist!

Just wanted to say a big thank you for taking the time to post pictures and the stories behind them in this thread. My wife and I are in are mid 20's and started collecting comics 3 years ago. It started by watching American Pickers. We love all the same stuff you do but seeing the pictures you post and the stories that go with them make me want to get out there more and more. I'm hoping to get out to Brimfield on Thursday for a day this week. Thanks for what you do! :)

-Tim

My pleasure Tim. It's great to see the younger crowd picking up the torch. Junking and picking in the wild is what gets me up early in the morning. Thursday Brimfield, you lucky dog! My favorite show that day is May's field. I believe it opens at 8:00. The great thing about this one is that the dealers are not allowed to set up until they blow the whistle and the gates open to the buyers. Always a stampede. The show is not picked over and everyone has a fair shot. I can't tell you how many great things I have gotten there. Not really that heavy comic wise although it has happened. But, if you look you will go home happy. JJ on Friday is good too but the dealers and their friends usually get the best picks before the public gets in.

I usually go in May. I hear July is a lot smaller and the weather is a little oppressive. There are a ton of other fields to look through so go REAL early and stay all day. Good luck and come back here with a report for me!

Yesterday, I did a lot of DC autographed books. Today will be a real mixed bag of stuff.

Everett Raymond Kinstler. Did a ton of great work for Avon in the '50's. What most people don't know is that he is a very talented fine artist who has even painted presidents. Very cool guy and probably his only San Diego Con appearance. Oh, this book has a nice Frazetta story as well!

comchiefvictorio2_zpsfygz61dv.jpg

comchiefvictorio1_zpsldi9uanz.jpg

The great Wallace Wood! One of my "top 5" favorite artists. Nuff said. I met him at the old San Diego Convention Center about 4 months before he tragically took his own life. He seemed very tired but very friendly and was surprised at my choices of books for him to sign. At the time I was very into Avons and finished up what I wanted at that show I believe.

commaskfumanchu2_zpsh1ubxkjg.jpg

commaskfumanchu1_zpspoh6bfyf.jpg

And now something you don't see everyday, Underground artists!

I love Gilbert Shelton's Wonder Warthog stuff. This is my favorite one that he is "Superman" and he blows Lois Lane off his snout! Probably can't show it here...

And you just can't go wrong with this just beautiful Rick Griffin cover!

comzap3b_zpsmdbiytzk.jpg

comzap3a_zpsbwvjf08s.jpg