• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,498 posts in this topic

Identity Of Mystery Alien Villain In AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR Promo Art Has Seemingly Been Confirmed

A couple of days ago, some new Avengers: Infinity War promo art surfaced revealing a mystery bad guy who will be joining Thanos in the highly anticipated Marvel movie. Speculation started running rampant in regards to who that might be, with some fans theorizing it could be Supergiant, a member of Thanos' Black Order who wasn't displayed at last year's Comic-Con with the rest of the group.

Well, as CBM's own Mark Cassidy mentioned on Sunday, this mystery character is, in fact, the leader of Thanos' Outriders. In the comic books, the Outriders are genetically engineered parasite-assassins that serve the Mad Titan Thanos and this hulking brute is clearly going to be in charge of them when they attack Wakanda.

I don't think I have ever been this anxious for a movie before. The build up to this film has been absolutely brilliant and there has really never been anything like it before in the entire history of Hollywood. 10 years, 18 films, over 13 billion grossed just off of ticket sales alone. All from a company that was declaring bankruptcy in 1996. The most impressive thing for me has been Marvel's casting. There hasn't been a single character to date that I didn't like. I was actually really disappointed when I heard they had cast Chris Evans as Captain America (one of my least favorite comic characters on the comic side) as all I really knew him from were the Fantastic Four movies and I really didn't care for either of those films or his performance in them, but he would up being an absolutely perfect choice for the role. IMO, Winter Solider is the best super hero movie I have seen to date. That Super Bowl trailer for Infinity War actually gave me goosebumps when I first saw it. And what a perfect ending to a trailer. Thor and his "who the h*ll are you guys" comment to the Guardians of the Galaxy" was just classic.

The sheer number of quality actors and actresses in this film is just insane. Even Peter Dinklage from Game of Thrones is getting in on the action. 

Ant-Man / Scott Lang - Paul Rudd
Black Panther - Chadwick Boseman
Black Widow / Natasha Romanoff - Scarlett Johansson
Captain America / Steve Rogers - Chris Evans
Doctor Strange - Benedict Cumberbatch
Drax the Destroyer - Dave Bautista
Eitri - Peter Dinklage
Falcon / Sam Wilson - Anthony Mackie
Gamora - Zoe Saldana
Groot - Voiced by Vin Diesel
Happy Hogan - Jon Favreau
Hawkeye / Clint Barton - Jeremy Renner
Hulk / Bruce Banner - Mark Ruffalo
Iron Man / Tony Stark - Robert Downey Jr.
Iron Patriot / James Rhodes - Don Cheadle
Loki - Tom Hiddleston
Mantis - Pom Klementieff
M'Baku - Winston Duke
Maria Hill - Cobie Smulders
Nebula - Karen Gillan
Nick Fury - Samuel L. Jackson
Okoye - Danai Gurira
Pepper Potts - Gwyneth Paltrow
Ramonda - Angela Bassett
Rocket Raccoon - voiced by Bradley Cooper
Scarlet Witch / Wanda Maximoff - Elizabeth Olsen
Shuri - Letitia Wright
Spider-Man / Peter Parker - Tom Holland
Star-Lord / Peter Quill - Chris Pratt
Thanos - Josh Brolin
The Collector - Benicio Del Toro
The Vision - Paul Bettany
The Winter Soldier / Bucky Barnes - Sebastian Stan
Thor - Chris Hemsworth
Valkyrie - Tessa Thompson
Wong - Benedict Wong
Rhomann Dey - John C. Reilly

And looking back over the last 18 films, its pretty impressive the big name actors and actresses Marvel has cast in their films. The MCU is like a black hole in Hollywood, slowely but surely sucking in more and more big name actors and actresses as time goes on. The list is pretty impressive. 

Alice Krige - Eir (Thor 2)
Andy Serkis - Ulysses Klaue (Black Panther)
Anthony Hopkins - Odin (Thor Trilogy)
Ben Kingsley - Trevor Slattery (Iron-Man 3)
Cate Blanchett - Hela Goddess of Death (Thor Ragnarok)
Djimon Hounsou - Korath (GotG)
Edward Norton - Bruce Banner (Hulk)
Evangeline Lilly - The Wasp / Hope van Dyne (Ant-Man)
Forest Whitaker - Zuri (Black Panther)
Glenn Close - Nova Prime (GotG)
Guy Pearce - Aldrich Killian (Iron Man 3)
Hayley Atwell - Peggy Carter (Captain America)
Hugo Weaving - Red Skull / Johann Schmidt (Captain America)
Idris Elba - Heimdall (Thor Trilogy)
Jaimie Alexander - Lady Sif (Thor, Thor 2)
Jeff Bridges - Obadiah Stane (Iron-Man)
Jeff Goldblum - Grandmaster (Thor Ragnarok)
John C. Reilly - Corpsman Dey (GotG)
Karl Urban - Skurge (Thor Ragnarok)
Kat Dennings - Darcy Lewis (Thor 1 & 2)
Kurt Russell (GotG 2)
Liv Tyler - Betty Ross (Hulk)
Mads Mikkelsen - (Doctor Strange)
Marisa Tomei - Mary Parker (Spider-Man & Civil War)
Michael Douglas - Dr. Hank Pym (Ant-Man)
Michael Keaton - Vulture / Adrian Toomes (Spider-Man HC)
Michael Rooker - Yondu Udonta (GotG 1 & 2)
Mickey Rourke - Ivan Vanko (Iron-Man 2)
Natalie Portman - Jane Foster (Thor 1 & 2)
Rachel McAdams - Christine Palmer (Doctor Strange)
Rene Russo - Frigga (Thor 1 & 2)
Robert Redford - Alexander Pierce (CA - Winter Soldier)
Sam Rockwell - Justin Hammer (Iron-Man 2)
Stellan Skarsgard - (Thor, Thor 2, Avengers)
Sylvester Stallone - (GotG 2)
Terrence Howard - Rhodey (Iron-Man)
Tilda Swinton - The Ancient One (Doctor Strange)
Tim Roth - Emil Blonsky (Hulk)
Toby Jones - Dr. Arnim Zola (Captain America)
Tommy Lee Jones - Colonel Chester Phillips (Captain America)
William Hurt - Secretary of State Thaddeus Ross (Many)
Zachary Levi - Fandral (Thor 2)
Stan Lee (Cameo in every film to date)

The big question at this point is just who is and isn't going to make it out of this film alive. We know Steve Rogers has put down the shield and is going Nomad. Black Widow and Spider-Man both have upcoming individual films so those 2 are safe. Same with Ant-Man. And I don't think Marvel would have put that scene of Vision getting the mind stone sucked out of his head in the trailer if he were really going to die in this film so I think that's a bit of misdirection by Marvel. Some of the characters are definitely going to wind up biting it in this film tho. Thanos is just too powerful, especially when he is wielding some of the infinity stones/gems, to not have at least a couple of super-heroes die in this film. I will be really bummed no matter who it winds up being as I have come to really enjoy all of these characters, especially the big 4 (Iron Man, Captain America, Thor & Hulk).

11 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

He's like Mr. Mxy and Bat-Mite...stupid characters with zero useful purpose. 

I was introduced to him in the '80s Silver Surfer run.

He's just as ridiculous (and therefore awesome) as Howard the Duck -- so I wouldn't put it past Disney to introduce him with a cameo at some point.

It looking like this Infinity War Prelude Comic helps lay the groundwork for answering questions.

'Avengers: Infinity War' Prelude Reveals What Doctor Strange Knows About the Infinity Stones

infinity-stones-1086929.jpeg

While fans have known about what these stones do, and we've seen Thanos talking about chasing them down, they were mainly used as plot devices in the various films. However, in the second issue of Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War Prelude comic, which was released today, one character finally learned the history and truth of each stone, and that happens if they all come together.

The comic issue, which is official MCU canon, shows Wong and Doctor Strange in the Sanctum Santorum, not long before Strange appears in Thor: Ragnarok. Wong brings up the Eye of Agamotto, the Time Stone, and reveals to Strange that more is going on than he thinks.

Over the rest of the comic, Wong explains what Infinity Stones are, and where five of them have ended up to this point. He starts at the beginning of the MCU with the Tesseract, the Space Stone, and how it ended up on Asgard. As we know from Thor: Ragnarok, Loki now possesses that device.

Wong then gets into the stories behind Loki's Staff (Mind Stone) and the Aether (Reality Stone), which unfolded throughout the previous Avengers and Thor films. The fifth stone, the Power Stone hidden within the Orb in Guardians of the Galaxy, Wong doesn't have as much information. He believes this stone is still hidden away on a remote planet, not knowing about the events of the first Guardians film. The images in the comic however, reveal what we already know about what the stone, and that it has landed in the care of Nova Prime.

On the final page of the comic, all six stones are revealed, along with who in the MCU is watching over them. In the photo below, you can see Nova Prime with the Power Stone, the Time Stone in the Sanctum Santorum, The Collecter holding the Reality Stone, Scarlet Witch standing with Vision and the Mind Stone, and Loki looking down on the Space Stone. The sixth and final stone is still a mystery, though there are a couple of theories floating around online. Some believe that the Soul Stone is hidden somewhere in Wakanda, while others believe Thanos may already possess it, seeing as how he has two of them in his Infinity Gauntlet in the movie's first trailer.

It also hints at why Doctor Strange was so worried about Thor and Loki arriving on Earth in Thor Ragnarok. It seems to be more Loki than Thor, as the former was involved with two of the Infinity Stones.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

I did not read the comic. So Marvel is basically re-writing the Infinity Gauntlet history now?

They can't make the comic version of the Infinity Gauntlet.  It had a lot of characters that the MCU currently doesn't have the rights to (i.e. Silver Surfer, X-Men).  The MCU re-wrote the history the moment the movie was made.

***Plus the comic had a stupid way of how Thanos was defeated.  That would not translate well in the movie.

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Unless you're talking about the actual gauntlet...

'Avengers: Infinity War' Prelude Comic May Hint That Red Skull is Alive

red-skull-is-alive-in-the-mcu-1087786-64

In the Avengers: Infinity War Prelude comic, we get a look at a pivotal moment in the MCU: when Captain America fought Red Skull over the Tesseract, during that climatic scene of Captain America: The First Avenger. In the film, Red Skull is seemingly vaporized by the Tesseract's power when he tries to pick it up with his hand; however, this Infinity War prelude seems to depict a different interpretation of that moment.

avengers-infinity-war-prelude-comic-red-

As Screen Rant points out, the artwork in the panel has clear motion lines toward space, and even a "Fooshhhhh" sound effect - neither of which are anywhere near standard for a comic book scene depicting a character being vaporized. There's a fair argument to be made that this is a transportation or warp effect, which is also a much more likely reaction to touching the Tesseract, now that we understand it is in fact the Space Infinity Stone.

16 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Maybe this is just me, but I thought it was fairly clear in the movie that he got whisked off to some other place rather than "vaporized." The prequel comic looks to me to just be depicting what was in the film. 

hm

Hugo Weaving is still contracted for at least one more MCU film, if he is used I would not expect to see him until the next phase of movies/characters, something along the lines of a post Chris Evans Cap solo picture.

1 hour ago, Crimebuster said:

Maybe this is just me, but I thought it was fairly clear in the movie that he got whisked off to some other place rather than "vaporized." The prequel comic looks to me to just be depicting what was in the film. 

hm

Yeah, it was pretty evident from the movie that the Red Skull was not killed. I was expecting him to have resurfaced by now, though. I guess Infinity War is as good a place as any.

Edited by kimik