• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HERITAGE FEB 2015 - Spam Free Edition

183 posts in this topic

I used to own The Guardians of the Galaxy pages that were up for auction. Looks like the movie hype died compared to the 13k sale late last year. These were far superior IMO especial the splash page. Not sure why Heritage split up the double page spread I think the price of the second was killed by the sale of the first half.

Did someone mention the GOTG splash page 12 going cheap? :banana::whee::banana::whee::banana:

I hope that means you won it! :wishluck:

I used to own The Guardians of the Galaxy pages that were up for auction. Looks like the movie hype died compared to the 13k sale late last year. These were far superior IMO especial the splash page. Not sure why Heritage split up the double page spread I think the price of the second was killed by the sale of the first half.

Did someone mention the GOTG splash page 12 going cheap? :banana::whee::banana::whee::banana:

Are you the winner? If so Congrats!! It is really nice in person. I couldn't justify buying it back although I thought about it. I used this and the other to pages to get my MP 4 cover a couple years ago.

I was surprised HA didn't use the color Subby piece as the cover of their catalog.

Cockrum's second stint wasn't received as well but I thought that cover would have gone a bit higher. I think the buyer did well.

The Kane ASM 150 page is sweet. Congrats Ken. Kane Spidey prices are starting to creep up as folks get priced out of quality Romita Sr. pages. That page is going to look like a bargain in a year or two IMHO.

Cheers!

N.

Underbidder on the Kane ASM 150 page :sorry:

THANKS for pushing me to my limit Yoram ;)

Sorry, but its a great page and I think you still got it at a good price! :foryou:

Congrats on the page. I was the 3200 bid. I would have pushed it a bit more but got stuck on a work call and missed out.

John B.

Are you the winner? If so Congrats!! It is really nice in person. I couldn't justify buying it back although I thought about it. I used this and the other to pages to get my MP 4 cover a couple years ago.

Yes, Brian and TTH2, I won it. I have loved this book since before there was even a GOTG series, let alone a movie. Something about Colan's Sci-Fi has always been extra-special for me. With the success of the movie, I thought the pages might be out of reach, but happily the movie premium effect seems to be less than it used to be, now that we can pretty much assume that every notable Marvel character will sooner or later appear on screen.

Moving this over from the A-level panel page thread, as it's probably more relevant here:

There were a number of items yesterday I thought the bidding either petered out early on, or seemed to struggle rather low only to be revitalized (barely) and get enough additional action to hit 'range'. That Cockrum cover, 33k DKR, Chameleon ASM, three examples of this.

Let's remember there's been some public chatter about 2015 being a year where certain collectors are backing off, myself included. In general I don't move the needle on what most of you collect, but I do for my specialties (but am not this year). Those other collectors, some of them do move nostalgia/superhero needle.

I thought the McSpidey ASM cover went almost absurdly cheap, but I think the Cockrum UXM 162 cover and Miller DKR #2 pages were pretty realistic. I know the Cockrum cover seemed cheap to some, but I suspect that's because a lot of people still anchor their expectations as if we were still in 2012-13 when it seemed like everything fresh was fetching top, top dollar. I think the reality is that much of the market is more or less flattish since then and auction results have definitely been much more hit or miss of late. I thought that DD #186 cover also probably sold where it should have. I mean, look, I'm not going to kick any Miller DD cover out of bed, not even a third-tier example like this one, but who really wants to buy these at, say, $50K+? Call me crazy, but $35-$40K feels like the market-clearing level to me - I think the people who can afford to pay $50K+ would rather hold out for either a better example (even if it means paying more) or content themselves with one or more A/A+ interiors or splashes instead.

This sale definitely did not have a lot of marquee pieces in it, but, people seem to have forgotten that the November sale was also quite spotty - I unexpectedly won 11 lots in that auction, including a couple with total throwaway bids (both big name artists doing mainstream Marvel superhero art). And, I won the two lots I was going after in this auction for less than one-third of what I was willing to pay - granted, I was willing to pay above market, but I got both items for lower than in my wildest dreams. I think a lot of the market is just marking time around current levels, more and more material is definitely falling through the cracks, and there's a lot of art out there that is simply not going to fetch 2012-13 type of prices (for the time being, anyway).

That's not to say that Ditko Spidey pages aren't still hot, or that a fresh to market Kirby cover won't fetch top dollar, or that a couple of '80s guys might not go nuts over something like the ASM #238 cover. But, I think people are missing the forest for the trees by focusing on these exceptions instead of the broader reality that much/most of the market is and has been going nowhere for a while now. 2c

I was surprised HA didn't use the color Subby piece as the cover of their catalog.

The color Subby piece was the focal point of the Heritage mailer. That's the best unpublished Everett Mariner that I've ever seen.

The color Subby piece was the focal point of the Heritage mailer. That's the best unpublished Everett Mariner that I've ever seen.

It's astonishing. I just wish it didn't say "The Sub-Mariner" in rainbow-colored, bubbly letters - I'm afraid that was a dealbreaker for me. :sorry:

It's astonishing. I just wish it didn't say "The Sub-Mariner" in rainbow-colored, bubbly letters - I'm afraid that was a dealbreaker for me. :sorry:

I don't mind it too much, considering that the piece is done by the creator of the character. It reminds me of the early FF pinups. I hope it went to an appreciative collector and isn't part of an investment portfolio. It's a fantastic piece.

The Kane ASM 150 page is sweet. Congrats Ken. Kane Spidey prices are starting to creep up as folks get priced out of quality Romita Sr. pages. That page is going to look like a bargain in a year or two IMHO.

Cheers!

N.

Thanks Nelson! I went after it for exactly the reason you pointed out. I just can't hang anymore with Romita Sr. prices for comparable examples. As I have the same level of nostalgia for the period, the Kane was a no-brainer. Sort of the same reason i've picked up a couple of PMS X-men pages and no longer own any Byrne X-men. Just too damn expensive to maintain and keep adding at that level, for me anyway.

K

I had them pegged a little ways apart but not that much. The subby page had almost no subby. The cat pages had more of the signature black water element, the heroine was prominent, plus bewbs.

I figured they'd be 1000-1500 apart, but I don't think its a huge shocker. On the other hand if subby was as prominent on the subby page as the cat was on the cat pages, it would be a different story.

Kinda silly as the subby page is dynamite except for the fact that subby is barely in it, but that does impact things a lot. Does anyone really want to pay 7, 8, 10k for a subby page with no subby? I see that as being a tough sale. At $3800 they are all affordable enough to be nice examples for people but none of them have enough going for them for anyone to go to the wall IMO 2c

I had them pegged a little ways apart but not that much. The subby page had almost no subby. The cat pages had more of the signature black water element, the heroine was prominent, plus bewbs.

I figured they'd be 1000-1500 apart, but I don't think its a huge shocker. On the other hand if subby was as prominent on the subby page as the cat was on the cat pages, it would be a different story.

Kinda silly as the subby page is dynamite except for the fact that subby is barely in it, but that does impact things a lot. Does anyone really want to pay 7, 8, 10k for a subby page with no subby? I see that as being a tough sale. At $3800 they are all affordable enough to be nice examples for people but none of them have enough going for them for anyone to go to the wall IMO 2c

I think that all three are really attractive pages. I particularly like the inking on Cat #3, page 2.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/paty-greer-and-bill-everett-the-cat-3-page-2-original-art-marvel-1973-/a/7104-91127.s

I was surprised at that BWS / Layton Solar page went for about $1200 with BP. I think Layton inks BWS very well but am surprised it went over $1000. I was in until $900 but that got a little high in my opinion.