• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandman V2 #1 & #8 Appreciation Thread: "Don't wake me, I'm dreaming!!!"
3 3

390 posts in this topic

On 10/28/2021 at 9:29 PM, jdandns said:

Wow, great stuff in this thread! I started reading the book around issue 3 or so after hearing some great buzz. It was still very easy at that time to go back and get the first couple of issues, which I did, and read each issue when new for the entire run. Great series for sure, with "Dream of A Thousand Cats" and "Ramadan" (among others) remaining some of my favorite single issue stories ever.

My own collection is just a full raw set and few of the original hardbacks, plus the Skybox widevision Sandman and Vertigo trading card sets. I did have an extra #8 at one time but sold it raw for about $100 a long, long time ago.

There were newsstands of this series' early issues. The single digit issues were sold at Waldenbooks and the like with a thinner-than-usual UPC sticker affixed to them, and I had the first half-dozen issues or so like that in great shape, but traded them away exactly because I didn't like those stickers on them (D'oh!). Somehow, I do still have a #12 with a regular sized UPC sticker on it. I don't remember how/where I got it.

From the Death miniseries, I have a couple of versions of the Lee Tennant Enterprises (think Dynamic Forces before Dynamic Forces) signed editions from Gaiman and Bachalo, and was also lucky to get this nifty advertising standee from my LCS shop owner way back when after he was finished using it:

sandman12upc.jpg

d6.jpg

Ramadan was such a great issue.  

So different, unique, and interesting.  Agreed, one of my all-time fav singles too.  

#9 will always hold a special place for me.  One of the only comics I "forced" my wife to read in 2 decades (and she didn't care).

Patrick

On 10/28/2021 at 10:29 PM, jdandns said:

There were newsstands of this series' early issues. The single digit issues were sold at Waldenbooks and the like with a thinner-than-usual UPC sticker affixed to them

Books with stickers aren't different editions, they're just books with stickers.

On 10/28/2021 at 7:09 PM, chrisco37 said:

The first time I read the series, I didn’t really like A Game of You.  After subsequent re-reads, it’s one of my favorites as well.  It’s the most “dreamy” of the early arcs.  
Seasons of Mist is the most “accessible” for most readers.  It’s more “traditional” of a story.  It’s great as well and was my favorite on the first go.

Also, I absolutely love #13 (Hobbs).  It’s one of my favorite single issues of any series ever.  I sold most of my comics earlier this year (including my Sandman runs), but I kept a copy of 13 for “nostalgia” sake.  Probably should’ve kept a 1 and/or an 8 too.  Oh well.  

Hob Gadling is a fave character in the series for me.
Love his character arcs and seeing what he goes through and how he feels about Morpheus and life over the years.

On 10/31/2021 at 5:06 PM, MAR1979 said:

A while back this thread topic inspired to submit some of my favorite Sandman issues, all purchased when originally on-sale, to CGC.

Delirium as she was portrayed in "Brief Lives", is right up there neck in neck with Death as my favorite of the endless.

Issue #21 Seasons Of The Mist 0 is Delirium's 1st app and one of my top 5 favorite issues in the run.

The submission  #21 was in "popped" mid last week. This book, as i felt it would, is now in a CGC 9.8 slab :)
584744486_Sandman21.thumb.jpg.f57e608357d611ab88aa8568d776adde.jpg1025291246_Sandman21b.thumb.jpg.4558d4b8eda7ab9b651e469575850648.jpg

Many congrats!
Such a cool book.
I really like Delerium. Took me a little bit to warm up to her, but she is my 3rd favorite Endless character after Dream & Death.
I'd love to see her introduced into the upcoming Sandman Netflix show, and for a bigger audience to appreciate her.
It would also be interesting to see if they would dive into her previous 'incarnation' as Delight.

On 10/28/2021 at 8:31 PM, wormboy said:

Here is my #8 Editorial variant. In 1989 I was working in a warehouse in SF. My coworker and friend had this book rolled up in his back pocket. I was out of comics for several years, but was curious and asked him about it. He said they gave it to him free at Comix Experience, and he gave it to me. I absolutely loved it and immediately picked up the earlier issues and collected it through completion. I’ve been collecting comics (again) ever since then. Thanks Mike!

F9B02698-766E-43D4-80D1-3660C1DFAB66.thumb.jpeg.ceeee9acef0939c4558c7bce8791af0c.jpeg82693C10-FB18-48CD-8FC8-BAB94A2A292C.thumb.jpeg.7da5f30c41c3146fc9bf4a19accbfd35.jpegFBEF49A6-7E81-493E-95CF-6C0BE55C9160.thumb.jpeg.7f169e486b6353b0b2319fd03a703ac4.jpegA9A08FE8-5350-435B-AC97-26EFCC0FA09E.thumb.jpeg.75334226f75f9a24c3edd4519bf62f6d.jpeg

That's an awesome story!

Just curious if the book was already signed, or if you got it signed later?

I was lucky enough to collect the series from the beginning (thanks to my LCS & her son putting #1 in my pull box with a note saying: I think you will like this).
But #3 was the first issue that really resonated with me - and then #4 was dynamite!

On 11/5/2021 at 12:51 PM, HighVoltage said:

That's an awesome story!

Just curious if the book was already signed, or if you got it signed later?

I was lucky enough to collect the series from the beginning (thanks to my LCS & her son putting #1 in my pull box with a note saying: I think you will like this).
But #3 was the first issue that really resonated with me - and then #4 was dynamite!

Thanks!

I had it signed at a later date.

That’s awesome! I’m actually kind of glad I started with #8, as the first couple issues may not have hooked me like #8 did.

Question:

Sandman #4 is 1st appearance of Nada, easily determined by reading the book.  https://sandman.fandom.com/wiki/Nada

Why is Sandman 9 being referred to as 1st appearance?  First full appearance perhaps but the way the Sandman series work for all other characters a full appearance is not denoted.  Example #22 is 1st Daniel but all we see is an infant...

Perhaps #4 as first Lucifer is already a key, so some have figured a way to "manufacture" another semi-key with issue 9?

Edited by MAR1979

When Essential Vertigo:Sandman came out in 1996 for me it was pretty much redundant as I had the originals.  My buddy who owned my LCS agreed and only placed the minimum piece order, seems other shops did the same. So not easy for me to find copies that met my then OCD-ish grading standards.

Since it has a low census population I figured let me send in my 1st issue, a mere 8 months later it returned to me.

NOT pressed

EV-Sandman1.thumb.jpg.8ecdee4974fe2336e7dcc27d820e4cef.jpgEV-Sandman1b.thumb.jpg.d751998d400401feaebf96ef52203a2e.jpg

Edited by MAR1979

Is this real of some Market Manipulation? I recall one sold on eBay in Sept 2021 for about $100:

image.thumb.png.8c8ff47c80f70487ff4473eb618a3974.png

As Non Key Modern DC issues go the 9.8 and 9.6 population seem average.

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
  Sandman 21 (12/90, D.C./Vertigo Comics)
            "Predator 2" poster included.
Universal 57 9.44     28 14 5 6   1     1 1     1                  

Opinions folks?

On 10/28/2021 at 11:29 PM, jdandns said:

Wow, great stuff in this thread! I started reading the book around issue 3 or so after hearing some great buzz. It was still very easy at that time to go back and get the first couple of issues, which I did, and read each issue when new for the entire run. Great series for sure, with "Dream of A Thousand Cats" and "Ramadan" (among others) remaining some of my favorite single issue stories ever.

My own collection is just a full raw set and few of the original hardbacks, plus the Skybox widevision Sandman and Vertigo trading card sets. I did have an extra #8 at one time but sold it raw for about $100 a long, long time ago.

There were newsstands of this series' early issues. The single digit issues were sold at Waldenbooks and the like with a thinner-than-usual UPC sticker affixed to them, and I had the first half-dozen issues or so like that in great shape, but traded them away exactly because I didn't like those stickers on them (D'oh!). Somehow, I do still have a #12 with a regular sized UPC sticker on it. I don't remember how/where I got it.

From the Death miniseries, I have a couple of versions of the Lee Tennant Enterprises (think Dynamic Forces before Dynamic Forces) signed editions from Gaiman and Bachalo, and was also lucky to get this nifty advertising standee from my LCS shop owner way back when after he was finished using it:

sandman12upc.jpg

d6.jpg

Someone in another thread here claims that the Lee Tennant Enterprises signed books were overwhelmingly forgeries: 

Yikes on the Lee Tennant stuff! I know he died some years ago...

Gaiman & Bachalo have pretty elaborate signatures, and these look good. Maybe Tennant  actually paid them for the full allotment, the pair being hot names at the time, but even if not, and some kid in a dungeon drew them, I didn't pay that much for them back when, I have no intention of selling, and at least I have a story. I'll add scans of them when I can.

On 10/29/2021 at 7:40 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 10/28/2021 at 10:29 PM, jdandns said:

There were newsstands of this series' early issues. The single digit issues were sold at Waldenbooks and the like with a thinner-than-usual UPC sticker affixed to them

Books with stickers aren't different editions, they're just books with stickers.

I have always thought that as well, but several are very collectible. Spawn stickered books are highly sought 
after.

On 3/11/2022 at 10:14 PM, MAR1979 said:

When Essential Vertigo:Sandman came out in 1996 for me it was pretty much redundant as I had the originals.  My buddy who owned my LCS agreed and only placed the minimum piece order, seems other shops did the same. So not easy for me to find copies that met my then OCD-ish grading standards.

Since it has a low census population I figured let me send in my 1st issue, a mere 8 months later it returned to me.

NOT pressed

EV-Sandman1.thumb.jpg.8ecdee4974fe2336e7dcc27d820e4cef.jpgEV-Sandman1b.thumb.jpg.d751998d400401feaebf96ef52203a2e.jpg

Ive sold a ton of 1s 4s and 8s for Essential. I bought them all for $1 each for several years. Very profitbable now and
even more as the show gets closer.

On 5/21/2022 at 1:26 PM, Evorus said:

Asking almost 8000$ for that and every picture has a reflection of his Iphone :golfclap:

On 5/22/2022 at 6:30 AM, godzilla43 said:

Asking almost 8000$ for that and every picture has a reflection of his Iphone :golfclap:

As if the seller could not be bothered and was too LAZY to do any better. Based on the lack of care (and middling feedback score) put into the auction listing I'd expect the rest of the transaction to go similar for whomever purchases it - if anyone does.

"Packing the package was disgraceful. Top of box cover destroyed."

"Item never shipped. Seller lists items not in their possession"

"seller took forever to ship item and then completely ignored me when I informed him that the CGC slab was cracked"

IMHO: DANGER! AVOID! DANGER!

P.S. In at least one of their other auction titles the seller uses the word "Minty". While I'm sure there are exceptions, I never personally met anyone who uses that word who was not a total tool :) 

Edited by MAR1979