• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Total Existing Copies of AF #15
2 2

Guesstimated total existing copies of Amazing Fantasy #15  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Guesstimated total existing copies of Amazing Fantasy #15

485 posts in this topic

Jaydog, I was just making sure it was clear that my perspective had changed to feeling better about the 7-10K zone in terms of total copies. I personally believe that's closer to the real number than 20K, but just wanted to make sure it was clear.

One thing for sure - the group seems to have coalesced around a reasonably narrow range estimate range for something so esoteric.

I've heard varying guesstimates over the years as to the total number of copies of AF #15 that still exist.

The CGC census currently shows a total of 2,279 CGC graded AF #15s (across Universal, Qualified, Sig Series, and Restored). Due to the CPR game, the actual number of unique copies graded is obviously less than 2,279; perhaps the unique count is 1,750 or 2,000?

I was curious to see what others would guesstimate to be the total number of copies of AF #15 that still exist (Note: I plan to post similar polls for Action #1 and Hulk #181 in the Gold and Bronze forums respectively).

Studies have shown that people tend to be guided by the options in a poll such as this, generally assuming that the lowest option is too low and that the highest option is too high. Thus you will see often that people go for the middle.

But, here, the highest option starts at about 15% of printed copies, which is the estimated rate of attrition by analysts such as the folks behind the Gerber photojournal, and others. So an argument could be made that the choices in the poll should have as many numbers above that figure, as below it. But instead that figure is the starting point for the highest possible selection.

The highest option may encompass all figures above it, but to place it at the end as the highest option subtly implies that any numbers above it are clearly so high that they're not worth presenting as options. And that makes it an imperfect set of options for a survey.

Edited by bluechip

I've heard varying guesstimates over the years as to the total number of copies of AF #15 that still exist.

The CGC census currently shows a total of 2,279 CGC graded AF #15s (across Universal, Qualified, Sig Series, and Restored). Due to the CPR game, the actual number of unique copies graded is obviously less than 2,279; perhaps the unique count is 1,750 or 2,000?

I was curious to see what others would guesstimate to be the total number of copies of AF #15 that still exist (Note: I plan to post similar polls for Action #1 and Hulk #181 in the Gold and Bronze forums respectively).

Studies have shown that people tend to be guided by the options in a poll such as this, generally assuming that the lowest option is too low and that the highest option is too high. Thus you will see often that people go for the middle.

But, here, the highest option starts at about 15% of printed copies, which is the estimated rate of attrition by analysts such as the folks behind the Gerber photojournal, and others. So an argument could be made that the choices in the poll should have as many numbers above that figure, as below it. But instead that figure is the starting point for the highest possible selection.

The highest option may encompass all figures above it, but to place it at the end as the highest option subtly implies that any numbers above it are clearly so high that they're not worth presenting as options. And that makes it an imperfect set of options for a survey.

You say that an argument could be made that the AF #15 poll should have as many options above the 15% of printed copies option as below, however another argument could be made that it should have as many options above Gator's guesstimate as below :grin: in which case this poll actually has more options above Gator's estimate than it does below.

That said in hindsight I agree that I should have added more higher count options to this poll (and to my Hulk #181 and Action #1 polls) to get better data from those that were guesstimating higher counts...

You say that an argument could be made that the AF #15 poll should have as many options above the 15% of printed copies option as below, however another argument could be made that it should have as many options above Gator's guesstimate as below :grin: in which case this poll actually has more options above Gator's estimate than it does below.

That said in hindsight I agree that I should have added more higher count options to this poll (and to my Hulk #181 and Action #1 polls) to get better data from those that were guesstimating higher counts...

I suppose on the extreme low end there could have been a choice to say there are only the number of copies on CGC's census + only any additional copies that can be strictly verified individually. And on the high end it would be the number of copies printed, minus only the copies known to be verifiably destroyed.

Yes, that is true.

It might be fun to take a new poll in 5 to 10 years, at which time I can expand the poll options...

You'd probably get a different result with a new thread/poll now. 2c

How many people do you think read the first post and then went:

"Hmmm, what an interesting question since I'm not totally sure where I stand on this, I'm going to wait a few days, follow the thread and see what others have to say about this before I vote"

:D

You certainly have your finger on the pulse of the collecting community more than I do, but I just feel it's difficult to reconcile that there would only be roughly 5% of the print run left in existence for a 1960s book. Collecting was ramping up at that point. Just doesn't feel right logically, but that's just my "gut" feeling.

there certainly could be 20K....I'm just reporting what every major dealer I've spoken to seem to think (myself included)...

Joe V told me , at one point, sparkle city had, what must have been 500 copies of af15 in their inventory (must have been in the 70's?)...

so 10% could be out there...but keep in mind, collecting really surged around 1965 or so, so there was a small window where comics might have been lost/disposed of at a higher rate....

but, who knows...about the only conclusion that can be drawn is that there are a "lot" of af15's in the wild....but how many, we will never know with any real confidence...

Good post, and I`ll add by 1967 the cat was out of the bag with Spider-Man as mainstream discovered him with the TV series.

MV5BODgzNTMyNDY5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTk3NzUyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg.

Yes, that is true.

It might be fun to take a new poll in 5 to 10 years, at which time I can expand the poll options...

You'd probably get a different result with a new thread/poll now. 2c

How many people do you think read the first post and then went:

"Hmmm, what an interesting question since I'm not totally sure where I stand on this, I'm going to wait a few days, follow the thread and see what others have to say about this before I vote"

:D

Personally, when a poll is offered at the start of a thread, I always vote before reading everyone else's comments, but I'm sure you're right that not everyone rolls that way...

You certainly have your finger on the pulse of the collecting community more than I do, but I just feel it's difficult to reconcile that there would only be roughly 5% of the print run left in existence for a 1960s book. Collecting was ramping up at that point. Just doesn't feel right logically, but that's just my "gut" feeling.

there certainly could be 20K....I'm just reporting what every major dealer I've spoken to seem to think (myself included)...

Joe V told me , at one point, sparkle city had, what must have been 500 copies of af15 in their inventory (must have been in the 70's?)...

so 10% could be out there...but keep in mind, collecting really surged around 1965 or so, so there was a small window where comics might have been lost/disposed of at a higher rate....

but, who knows...about the only conclusion that can be drawn is that there are a "lot" of af15's in the wild....but how many, we will never know with any real confidence...

Good post, and I`ll add by 1967 the cat was out of the bag with Spider-Man as mainstream KIDS and TEENS discovered him with the TV series SATURDAY MORNING CARTOON.

MV5BODgzNTMyNDY5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTk3NzUyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg.

Fixed.

Whereas Batmans's TV SERIES gave his comic a jolt (Nearly doubling it's paid circulation to 850,000!), the Spider-man SATURDAY MORNING CARTOON barely had much effect on the comic book sales.

It wasn't 'mainstream'. It wasn't a blockbuster movie or TV show. But it was a highly influential Saturday Morning Cartoon that would stay with a generation for the rest of their lives.

No one knew that THEN. It was seen as no big deal. Heck, Marvel practically gave away the rights to have it done.

It had NONE of the hysteria that surrounded the Batman TV show. It was, at the time, just another cartoon to the 'mainstream'.

As kids, we knew better, but mainstream still saw comics and cartoons as kid stuff.

In 1967, it was the COMIC that was going mainstream, connecting with college kids across the country as the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN was becoming Marvel's best selling book (but still not a top ten seller, almost exclusively dominated by DC, who's Batman TV SERIES obviously DID go mainstream.)

ASM (the comic) may have only sold in the 350,000 paid circulation range, but that wasn't it's power - it's power was in that it WASN'T written as disposable entertainment - it WASN'T written in a dumbed down tone for the audience, but rather for a higher level of reader - It was a consistently good read and a continuing monthly drama. It is, to this day, I believe, the best selling 100 issue run of any comic ever printed (rivaled only by the FF 1-100).

The influence of that would be felt in comics forever forward.

ASM didn't break the top ten until 1969, but by that point it had as much to do with declining DC numbers as anything. But for many of the people who did read it, it was the bees knees, and had no equal.

Spider-man's place in cultural history was embedded in people's mind's through the COMIC BOOK. This is one time when your 'comic-books-are-nothing-all-other-meida-is-better' mindset is completely wrong.

Good post, and I`ll add by 1967 the cat was out of the bag with Spider-Man as mainstream KIDS and TEENS discovered him with the TV series SATURDAY MORNING CARTOON.

Fixed.

Whereas Batmans's TV SERIES gave his comic a jolt (Nearly doubling it's paid circulation to 850,000!), the Spider-man SATURDAY MORNING CARTOON barely had much effect on the comic book sales.

It wasn't 'mainstream'. It wasn't a blockbuster movie or TV show. But it was a highly influential Saturday Morning Cartoon that would stay with a generation for the rest of their lives.

No one knew that THEN. It was seen as no big deal. Heck, Marvel practically gave away the rights to have it done.

It had NONE of the hysteria that surrounded the Batman TV show. It was, at the time, just another cartoon to the 'mainstream'.

As kids, we knew better, but mainstream still saw comics and cartoons as kid stuff.

In 1967, it was the COMIC that was going mainstream, connecting with college kids across the country as the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN was becoming Marvel's best selling book (but still not a top ten seller, almost exclusively dominated by DC, who's Batman TV SERIES obviously DID go mainstream.)

ASM (the comic) may have only sold in the 350,000 paid circulation range, but that wasn't it's power - it's power was in that it WASN'T written as disposable entertainment - it WASN'T written in a dumbed down tone for the audience, but rather for a higher level of reader - It was a consistently good read and a continuing monthly drama. It is, to this day, I believe, the best selling 100 issue run of any comic ever printed (rivaled only by the FF 1-100).

ASM didn't break the top ten until 1969, but by that point it had as much to do with declining DC numbers as anything. But for many of the people who did read it, it was the bees knees, and had no equal.

Spider-man's place in cultural history was embedded in people's mind's through the COMIC BOOK. This is one time when your 'comic-books-are-nothing-all-other-meida-is-better' mindset is completely wrong.

I beg to disagree.

A big reason why Superman,Batman and Spider-Man are the icons they are is because they conquered other media. Millions of fans discovered them in other media.

More people got turned on to Spider-Man

with this.

Same with Batman with this.

Superman

Superfriends

Getting on TV was huge. This is were the majority of the fans discovered them!

See the show,then go buy the comic or other merchandise.

To blow off the importance of the 1967 Spiderman cartoon having an impact on Spider-Man`s popularity is a disingenuous viewpoint.

Who doesn`t know the Spider-Man theme?

Also take a peak and you will see not many superheroes got on TV between the years 1950 to 1980.

So it was quite a feat for Spider-Man to have his own show 5 years after his debut in 1962.

Same with Fantastic Four and the Marvel Heroes.

Stan Lee pulled it off way back in the 1960s to get mainstream exposure.

Even then Stan knew the importance of getting the Marvel characters in front of a bigger audience.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Fixed.

I beg to disagree.

A big reason why Superman,Batman and Spider-Man are the icons they are is because they conquered other medias. Millions of fans discovered them in other medias.

That's not what you said.

You said the mainstream discovered him in 1967 through the (cartoon series)

I countered with 'kids' discovered him through the cartoon series.

'Cartoons' were not 'mainstream' in 1967.

There was no 'spider' hysteria surrounding the show like their was for Batman who was shown during prime time.

And realistically the Spider-man cartoon only lasted a season and a half before it was turned over to Ralph Bakshi to make some silly looking psychedelic episodes and paste Spidey's image over cells from another cartoon.

It WAS NOT a success at THE TIME.

It's LASTING appeal has been amazing. But it did NOT break through into the mainstream in 1967.

And the sales of Spidey's comic, compared to what we can see for Batman, prove it.

More people got turned on to Spider-Man

with this,

Over the years, many people got turned on to Spider-man through the re-airing of that classic cartoon and other cartoons made.

BUT you forget, the COMIC BOOK has been published EVERY MONTH for over 50 YEARS, most in MULTIPLE books a month.

That's close to half a BILLION copies of the comics put out there.

Getting on TV was huge. This is were the majority of the fans discovered them!

You can't prove that, and it's just a silly thing to say.

The comic has been in print every month for 50+ years, yet a cartoon series came along 20 years apart?

See the show,then go buy the comic or other merchandise.

In 1967, 1968, 1969, and 1970 the numbers don't back that up. Sorry.

With Batman, you can see it's impact immediately on the sales of his Comic Books.

To blow off the importance of the 1967 Spiderman cartoon having an impact on Spider-Man`s popularity is a disingenuous viewpoint.

I didn't. I said in 1967 it wasn't mainstream. It had a lasting impact on people over the years. In 1967, kids saw it. They'd remember it. It paid off down the line.

Who doesn`t know the Spider-Man theme?

Who doesn't know Spider-man?

Also take a peak and you will see not many superheroes got on TV between the years 1950 to 1980.

You mean besides Batman (TV and Catoon), Superman (TV and Cartoon), Wonder Woman (TV and Cartoon) , Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern, Sub Mariner, Captain America, Hulk (TV and Cartoon), Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, the Thing, Human Torch, Iron Man, Green Hornet, Superboy, Shazam, Isis, Electra Woman and Dyna Girl?

So it was quite a feat for Spider-Man to have his own show 5 years after his debut in 1962.

Same with Fantastic Four and the Marvel Heroes.

Stan Lee pulled it off way back in the 1960s to get mainstream exposure.

Actually Marvel was approached to put it on the air, not the other way around. If you know the history proper, you know that Marvel didn't really believe these characters had much of a life outside of comics and so any deals that were made (and Stan didn't own Spider-man, so I doubt he was actually the one putting them together) were in hindsight, painfully under valued on Marvel's end. Their bumbling in regards to realizing what they had led to many of the problems that ended up being a part of Sony owning the eventual film rights.

Stan Lee and Marvel were NOT visionary in this regard.

Even then Stan knew the importance of getting the Marvel characters in front of a bigger audience.

No. No he actually didn't at the time. When did the next cartoon air? Almost 20 years later?

No. No he actually didn't at the time. When did the next cartoon air? Almost 20 years later?

I thought once Stan was off scripting books that his role was in Hollywood exploring other media - but I believed everything I read in Stan's Soapbox or Shooter's Bullpen Bulletins :angel: - "almost 20 years" is way too long.

Spider-man and his Amazing Friends came out in '81, the Nicholas Hammond TV show & Hulk TV show were in '77/78 - so those can't be ignored.

Jack Kirby pleaded with Stan to get the comics on TV. Especially his greatest creation Spider-Man!

(Chuck ---I just couldn't resist! We were going there soon anyway.)

: )

...Bad, BAD, thing (tsk) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

In '67 I was 11years old, and the bolded parts express exactly how I felt about Spidey since I discovered him (and the FF) 3 years earlier. :applause:

Super hero comics were pretty popular with young boys at the time, most kids had a stack of tattered comics in their room, but the majority of my classmates were still reading Superman and Batman.

I remember my friend Mickey and I arguing with a group of classmates how much better Marvels were than DC's.

In '67 I was 11years old, and the bolded parts express exactly how I felt about Spidey since I discovered him (and the FF) 3 years earlier. :applause:

Super hero comics were pretty popular with young boys at the time, most kids had a stack of tattered comics in their room, but the majority of my classmates were still reading Superman and Batman.

I remember my friend Mickey and I arguing with a group of classmates how much better Marvels were than DC's.

....this is kind of why some of the younger chaps don't understand the dynamic of the older collector....the "raw" guy. Back in those days the only motive for collecting was fascination...... and we loved these things so much that we'd spend ten bucks for a comic we needed even though new ones were available for a hundredth of that price. There was no real market.... no investment, no speculation..... most people thought we were fools. But I was a HAPPY fool. I remember one afternoon when I was 16 and had just walked in after school, my Mom was sitting around with some of her lady friends..... They started making conversation, and as I was almost a man and not too bad looking then, they were trying to casually sneak peaks at my hips and shoulders until one asked what my hobbies were....... I said "Comic Books"..... and their eyebrows all raised in chorus as if I'd just my diaper..... I'll never forget that lol ..... but those comics, back then, really were cooler than anything else around.... cooler than TV, the Movies, anything..... and it was like our own secret world and Stan was the ringleader of it. It was a magical time to collect and that's why there are 65 year old men who still have a raw copy in a Mylar..... because there STILL isn't anything better. It's hard to really put it in words....and I don't by any means wish to suggest that their motives are more pure....it's just that the monetary, asset factor just wasn't a part of the mentality. GOD BLESS...

....this is kind of why some of the younger chaps don't understand the dynamic of the older collector....the "raw" guy. Back in those days the only motive for collecting was fascination...... and we loved these things so much that we'd spend ten bucks for a comic we needed even though new ones were available for a hundredth of that price. There was no real market.... no investment, no speculation..... most people thought we were fools. But I was a HAPPY fool. I remember one afternoon when I was 16 and had just walked in after school, my Mom was sitting around with some of her lady friends..... They started making conversation, and as I was almost a man and not too bad looking then, they were trying to casually sneak peaks at my hips and shoulders until one asked what my hobbies were....... I said "Comic Books"..... and their eyebrows all raised in chorus as if I'd just my diaper..... I'll never forget that lol ..... but those comics, back then, really were cooler than anything else around.... cooler than TV, the Movies, anything..... and it was like our own secret world and Stan was the ringleader of it. It was a magical time to collect and that's why there are 65 year old men who still have a raw copy in a Mylar..... because there STILL isn't anything better. It's hard to really put it in words....and I don't by any means wish to suggest that their motives are more pure....it's just that the monetary, asset factor just wasn't a part of the mentality. GOD BLESS...

:angel: And this is why Jimbo is one of my favourite posters/members here. True love,TRUE love(not that everyone else does not have it) for comics and comic fandom.The personal stories and knowledge he shares...well.I've always enjoyed them.The first book I got from Jimbo is a special one....my first Atlas horror..and he made getting it fun.

Anyways, yeah,get a room Jimmers...but,good.post sir!

(and Jimjum12 and I have another 'pet ' hobby in common...)