• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Total Existing Copies of AF #15
2 2

Guesstimated total existing copies of Amazing Fantasy #15  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Guesstimated total existing copies of Amazing Fantasy #15

485 posts in this topic

I was curious to see what others would guesstimate to be the total number of copies of AF #15 that still exist (Note: I plan to post similar polls for Action #1 and Hulk #181 in the Gold and Bronze forums respectively).

It's fun to see this poll and hear all the various opinions. I'd be curious to see guesstimates of how many raw high grade copies are still out there in the wild. And just for the sake of this discussion, let's say high grade is 8.0 or better, unrestored.

I couldn't begin guess the total existing copies of AF #15 in any grade. But if it's narrowed down to unrestored high grade copies, I feel like my guess might be a bit more educated.

As a frame of reference for those that might want to opine, looking at the CGC Census, I see that there are currently 40 Blue label copies graded 8.0 or higher.

Ghost Town - How many additional raw copies do you think that there are out there that would grade out at a Blue label 8.0 or higher - or are you waiting until others have opined to share your thoughts?

As a frame of reference for those that might want to opine, looking at the CGC Census, I see that there are currently 40 Blue label copies graded 8.0 or higher.

Ghost Town - How many additional raw copies do you think that there are out there that would grade out at a Blue label 8.0 or higher - or are you waiting until others have opined to share your thoughts?

I would guess there are no more than 200-300 or so raw copies out there that are high grade (8.0 or higher.)

1962 was still the "let's read everything to death" era.

I would guess there are no more than 200-300 or so raw copies out there that are high grade (8.0 or higher.)

good question...

I know that 2 of the 60 copies from one collector/hoarder are 9.0 range...and maybe 2-3 that are 8.0 range (and this assuming no resto....the 2 that are in fortresses I didn't take out to examine)...the majority of the copies are vg or lower and a few are probably mid grade...

again, I can't "extrapolate" any info from 2 data points, but surely 5% or less is as good of a guess as any....

Somebody has 60 copies of AF15..?

They must have been laughing their off watching the value climb these last several years.

he is aware (generally) of their value... but when you have the kind of money he has, it really doesn't significantly register :o

They must have been laughing their off watching the value climb these last several years.

he is aware (generally) of their value... but when you have the kind of money he has, it really doesn't significantly register :o

Has he hoarded GA as well ?

good question...

I know that 2 of the 60 copies from one collector/hoarder are 9.0 range...and maybe 2-3 that are 8.0 range (and this assuming no resto....the 2 that are in fortresses I didn't take out to examine)...the majority of the copies are vg or lower and a few are probably mid grade...

again, I can't "extrapolate" any info from 2 data points, but surely 5% or less is as good of a guess as any....

I'm going with 2.7%- representative of the percentage of the 1434 copies graded on the census. Considering that the mean of the graded copies has only declined over the years, there is no reason to believe there is a greater percentage/ratio of high grade, unrestored raw copies remaining in the wild either. GAtor's friend notwithstanding of course. (thumbs u

-J.

Has he hoarded GA as well ?

nope, only SA keys and books of the sort...he grew up in the early 60's and that was "his" era

I was curious to see what others would guesstimate to be the total number of copies of AF #15 that still exist (Note: I plan to post similar polls for Action #1 and Hulk #181 in the Gold and Bronze forums respectively).

It's fun to see this poll and hear all the various opinions. I'd be curious to see guesstimates of how many raw high grade copies are still out there in the wild. And just for the sake of this discussion, let's say high grade is 8.0 or better, unrestored.

I couldn't begin guess the total existing copies of AF #15 in any grade. But if it's narrowed down to unrestored high grade copies, I feel like my guess might be a bit more educated.

My guess would be fewer than 150 unrestored copies still out there in 8.0 or better. And if the minimum grade jumps to 9.0, I'd say less than 50 and think I'm probably being generous.

My guess would be fewer than 150 unrestored copies still out there in 8.0 or better. And if the minimum grade jumps to 9.0, I'd say less than 50 and think I'm probably being generous.

I'll do you one better and say there are less than 100, 8.0 and up, and less than 20 that are 9.0 and up. Unrestored, of course.

-J.

Jace and Zoe (they saw a squirrel)

danes_zpscadkqs6m.jpg

Back before they had kids, my brother and his wife had 2 Great Danes in a tiny house with only one bedroom downstairs (with direct yard access) and a second cramped attic conversion bedroom upstairs. Guess which one was the Danes' room.

I'll do you one better and say there are less than 100, 8.0 and up, and less than 20 that are 9.0 and up. Unrestored, of course.

-J.

If I were placing a bet and we could somehow ask Uatu the Watcher to verify the numbers, I'd be more comfortable with your guesstimates than mine.

The value of an AF15 is such that it actually should compare with some of the most famous 20th century key coins in a decent grade , 1909 SVDB, 1916 SLQ quarter 1916D mercury etc

almost no coin collectors will risk buying a nice example of these coins ungraded as there is just too much associated risk .

the same thinking would dictate that it would be awfully risky (for a non-expert) to exchange 20K for an ungraded VG AF15

Logically most all VG- or better AF15's for sale will probably be graded within the next 20 years or so, simply to protect the buyer

then we will have a better figure on the number of available copies

The value of an AF15 is such that it actually should compare with some of the most famous 20th century key coins in a decent grade , 1909 SVDB, 1916 SLQ quarter 1916D mercury etc

almost no coin collectors will risk buying a nice example of these coins ungraded as there is just too much associated risk .

the same thinking would dictate that it would be awfully risky (for a non-expert) to exchange 20K for an ungraded VG AF15

Logically most all VG- or better AF15's for sale will probably be graded within the next 20 years or so, simply to protect the buyer

lol - it is almost as if you didn't read the thread at all! Not saying I agree or disagree with you, but I think a few people will disagree for sure...

3...2...1...pounce!

lol - it is almost as if you didn't read the thread at all! Not saying I agree or disagree with you, but I think a few people will disagree for sure...

3...2...1...pounce!

I don't know, I think the key is what I bolded, "for sale". I think most of those thinking there are a lot more raw copies out there than others believe is because those items AREN'T for sale, so people don't get them graded. Someone like me - if I was going to sell, my raw copy would almost certainly be graded beforehand.

3...2...1...pounce!

Oh I read the whole thread alright and it has been very interesting , we can only give speculative guesses, and I know my post was slightly off topic but its still about the AF15 population.

3...2...1...pounce!

Oh I read the whole thread alright and it has been very interesting , we can only give speculative guesses, and I know my post was slightly off topic but its still about the AF15 population.

I don't think your post was off topic at all. And it's cool to hear the perspective of somebody knowledgeable about another hobby with grading services.