• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Total Existing Copies of AF #15
2 2

Guesstimated total existing copies of Amazing Fantasy #15  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Guesstimated total existing copies of Amazing Fantasy #15

485 posts in this topic

Indiana Comic Con on Friday.

A raw AF15

AF15_zpshdopfaiw.jpg

Likely a former SS that somebody cracked out?

Either way it would never be a blue label now so it's pretty obvious why it's being sold raw.

-J.

Why wouldn't it be a blue label? CGC will downgrade for the sig and slab it blue if there's no resto or other issues. Sure, they could qualify it. But doubtful the seller would want that.

Hard to tell from the pics, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's PLOD.

....it would certainly pay to look it over VERY closely. The dealer may have it marked as restored if it is..... I've heard from more than one dealer that restored sells quicker as a raw.... where a prospective buyer can actually gauge the degree of work for themselves. Some work is so slight that you have to remind yourself that you're "supposed" to be bothered by it. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

A raw AF15

AF15_zpshdopfaiw.jpg

Either way it would never be a blue label now so it's pretty obvious why it's being sold raw.

-J.

Except it's not for sale. It's for display.

And I asked.

No. It's never been graded by CGC or anyone else.

....Judy and I got a few books signed by Stan in 2011 and kept them raw.....we were so awed by him that we forgot to specify splash only and the Hulk 6 got the cover treatment before we could stop him. There were hundreds of people in line and I only saw a few of them doing it for SS..... not that there's anything wrong with that. GOD BLESS...

+1

That's also a modern looking Stan sig. It's placement looks very "CGC Signature Series-ish" to me. I'd wager it's a signed PLOD as well. Definitely one that's probably best kept raw at this point. Still a nice looking book though.

-J.

+1

That's also a modern looking Stan sig. It's placement looks very "CGC Signature Series-ish" to me. I'd wager it's a signed PLOD as well.

-J.

...it's how he's signed everything for the last several years....unless you request otherwise. GOD BLESS....

+1

That's also a modern looking Stan sig. It's placement looks very "CGC Signature Series-ish" to me. I'd wager it's a signed PLOD as well. Definitely one that's probably best kept raw at this point. Still a nice looking book though.

-J.

Have to admit, that URC looks unnaturally sharp... Wonder if this has had the ole razor treatment.

A raw AF15

AF15_zpshdopfaiw.jpg

-J.

Except it's not for sale. It's for display.

And I asked.

No. It's never been graded by CGC or anyone else.

fairly obvious the right top edge and parts of the right edge have resto ...nice looking none the less

something else we haven't discussed "that" much in this thread is that based on sampling Ive seen, the majority of the raw copies are lower grade or restored....

not as many really sweet untouched high grade copies out there in the wild that I have seen or know about (a few, but not many)

something else we haven't discussed "that" much in this thread is that based on sampling Ive seen, the majority of the raw copies are lower grade or restored....

not as many really sweet untouched high grade copies out there in the wild that I have seen or know about (a few, but not many)

*Ahem*....I discussed it. lol:baiting:

-J.

*Ahem*....I discussed it. lol:baiting:

-J.

I said "that" much hehe

That seems like a pretty obvious fact. The vast majority of any book from that time frame are going to be low grade, and the census is going to be skewed in grade distribution, showing a larger percentage of high grade copies, since the financial incentive to slab increases as the grade goes up.

They are still copies though. The idea that a book has to be high grade or unrestored to "count" is in itself a pretty narrowly held belief once you start looking at the wider collecting community.

There are only slabbed copies for sale on the boards, ergo there is no such thing as a copy that is unslabbed that is unrestored. All raw copies in the wild have color touch and most are trimmed. It's science.

:shrug:

Side note - I despise AF 15s signed by Stan. :pullhair:

FYI - I asked a Girl Scout selling cookies today at the local grocery store if she trusts Internet chat board self-proclaimed experts and she said it was the only way she learns anything. (thumbs u

That seems like a pretty obvious fact. The vast majority of any book from that time frame are going to be low grade, and the census is going to be skewed in grade distribution, showing a larger percentage of high grade copies, since the financial incentive to slab increases as the grade goes up.

They are still copies though. The idea that a book has to be high grade or unrestored to "count" is in itself a pretty narrowly held belief once you start looking at the wider collecting community.

This is actually not correct. The vast majority of copies already on the census now are lower grade. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the average grade for all blue labels as of now is 3.67, and that average has steadily gone down as more blue labels have been added over the years. The highest it ever was when the first copies started hitting 15 years ago was just 5.11. Meaning, obviously, that people are submitting lower and lower graded books on average as time goes on.

-J.

hm

I wonder if you'll actually find anyone here proclaiming themselves to be an expert on anything, outside of the usual smartassery.

hm

I wonder if you'll actually find anyone here not proclaiming themselves to be an expert on everything, especially smartassery.

lol

hm

I wonder if you'll actually find anyone here proclaiming themselves to be an expert on anything, outside of the usual smartassery.

hm

I wonder if you'll actually find anyone here not proclaiming themselves to be an expert on everything.

lol

As an expert on that allow me to ponder an expert answer. hm