• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2017 at 8:29 PM, jsilverjanet said:

The idea that every character in this universe has had to be reinvented in order to have some connection to Tony Stark is ridiculous 

That is the biggest gripe I have with the MU right.  Just about every hero and villain is influenced by Tony Stark's technology; so much so that some of the characters are not the characters from the comic.  This wasn't Spider-Man, so much as it was Iron Boy.

11 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Have to agree on the 'new material - fresh faces' thinking. Suicide Squad - without a China showing - is a solid example of how a mediocre film becomes a huge hit because of this.

Suicide also benefited from having a strong female lead just like Wonder Woman. Like I posted in the SS thread, my daughter and most of her friends/friends' older sisters saw SS 2 - 4 times. It resonated well with the 12 - 25 female crowd. Wonder Woman did the same. There are still females I know of that are doing WW movie nights since there is nothing else that interests them, even though they have seen it already.

3 hours ago, rjrjr said:

That is the biggest gripe I have with the MU right.  Just about every hero and villain is influenced by Tony Stark's technology; so much so that some of the characters are not the characters from the comic.  This wasn't Spider-Man, so much as it was Iron Boy.

Tony Stark = MCU's Bruce Wayne. I can understand why they are milking it as much as they are as it is an anchor that can sort of connect all of the other dots in the MCU similar to how WB/DC uses Batman.

I did not care for Spider-Man in Civil War, but since I have not seen Homecoming I can't say anything about Iron Boy. I like the name, though. lol 

Edited by kimik

FORBES.COM: Spidey Homecoming Box Office Update

Sony’s Spider-Man: Homecoming also got a holiday boost, earning a $3.7 million (+32%) Fri-Sun/$4.9m Fri-Mon weekend for a $325.3m domestic and $748m worldwide total. It may, emphasis on “may,” have enough left in the tank to get past Guardians of the Galaxy ($333m in 2014) among top-grossing MCU movies and it opens in China next weekend.

Qbb3xNQ.png

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Well it looks like I was right and Homecoming surpassed Suicide Squad's domestic box office this week, and its global box office as well (and after just 9 weeks, vs the 14 weeks that SS was in release).  :bigsmile:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

30 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Well it looks like I was right and Homecoming surpassed Suicide Squad's domestic box office this week, and its global box office as well (and after just 9 weeks, vs the 14 weeks that SS was in release).  :bigsmile:

-J.

So you got that going for you.

:baiting:

16 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

According to box office mojo, domestically, it's still a million dollars behind that juggernaut of a comic franchise, the Suicide Squad and their movie:

In it's 61st Day, Suicide Squad hit $320,857,912 (as an AUGUST release), compared to Homecoming, featuring the biggest name Superhero in the world and a character who sells twice as much merchandise as the next biggest superhero at $324,051,546, a difference of $3,193,634. A difference of only $3 Million dollars between those two franchises?

I don't care what anyone says: if you'd told me a Suicide Squad movie released in AUGUST, would only be $3 Million dollars behind a SPIDER-MAN movie released in JULY, both after 61 days, I'd have thought no way.

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 7.23.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 7.22.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 7.22.26 AM.png

It  isn't over until its over, based on the small budget(only the first Spider-Man had a lower budget).  The current all time  revenue ratios and worldwide tallies might very well put this movie at or near the top ten lists of both. Hardly a failure.  And since the quality and fun  is  back in the next movie will do well also.

Considering the decline in folks going to the movies,  If it wasn't for Superhero movies  the cinema industry would be in deep chit.

Edited by comic_memories

55 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Based on four-day weekend estimates. Japan is now at $20.7M as of 8/27 updates. And as of this Friday, China starts kicking in.

FCeiCJi.png

Remaining Release Schedule:

- China: 8 Sept 2017

Nice.  So it's now looking like an $850-$875MM worldwide earner. This move is going to make more than Wonder Woman, and be at least the second most profitable Spider-Man movie ever by the time all is said and done.  

Not bad for a solo character with 6 movies under his belt in 15 years.   :acclaim:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Those Forbes folks that hate MCU movies.

China Set To Drive 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Toward $850+ Million

Spider-Man-Homecoming-high-res-24-1200x5

Spider-Man: Homecoming is winding down at the domestic box office, as its run in current foreign territories enters the final weeks as well. But the box office race is far from over for the web-head, as the latest MCU offering swings into China on September 8 with strong odds of putting up the second-highest box office tally of the franchise's 16 year history.

Homecoming looks to add another $7+/- million in North America plus around $3-4+/- million in existing foreign markets, for a pre-China cume in the neighborhood of $760 million. That would already be good enough to surpass the final global receipts of the previous two Amazing Spider-Man movies. And an absurdly weak $25 million run in China would push Homecoming past Spider-Man 2 for third place on the franchise all-time box office list. But there's plenty of indication this latest entry in the Spider-Man series, with the inclusion of Iron Man and official MCU status, will push Homecoming far higher.

A lower-end result is highly unlikely, though. Since 2012, only two of the nine films from Marvel Studios have grossed south of the $100 million mark in China -- Thor: The Dark World in 2013 (with $55 million) and Guardians of the Galaxy in 2014 (with $86 million). Since Spider-Man was hitting in the $50 million ballpark back in 2012, I think it's fair to say a result similar to The Dark World is highly unlikely nowadays for Homecoming. I'd bet $75-85 million is the more plausible low-end prediction for the film at this point, with $120+ million the higher-end plausible prediction.

Which all means Spider-Man: Homecoming's most likely lowest-end possible worldwide box office result will be near $835 million. That's more than enough to pass Sam Raimi's original 2002 film, which took $821 million. But the interesting part is that a $100+ million result would push Homecoming to at least $860 million, creating a photo-finish against Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which stands at $863 million. Should Homecoming actually hit closer to the $120+/- million range, that would hypothetically suggest a final cume north of $880 million, and that's when it gets really interesting, because it would be in spitting distance of Spider-Man 3 for the crown as highest-grossing Spidey flick in history.

FORBES.COM: 'Spider-Man' Tops $800M Global

Dunkirk earned $550,000 (-42%) yesterday for a likely $2.063 million (-53%) weekend and $183.2M domestic cume. Meanwhile, Spider-Man: Homecoming has earned $50m in its first two days in China, for a likely $70M opening weekend, bringing its worldwide cume to $799m worldwide not counting whatever it made overseas over the last few days. So, yeah, I feel comfortable saying that the $175M comic book reboot has crossed $800m worldwide. It’ll have $327.6M domestic by tomorrow and should pass Wonder Woman (around $815M worldwide).

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Great news for Spider-Man, begrudgingly reported by Forbes' resident DC fanboys who still felt compelled to not only shoehorn Wonder Woman into the lead headline (a movie that is essentially done with its run and out of theaters), but also use a picture from the movie for the main article accompaniment.  That pretty much cements the DC fanboy rep with me.  :roflmao:Also love the token aside near the end of the article that Homecoming will pass WW's global totals this week as well (and not mention the fact that Homecoming made the same worldwide tally about 4 weeks sooner than WW).  

I "wonder" if they will still be fawning over Homecoming when it is sitting in discount dollar theaters, and making  $160,000.  hm

-J.

12 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Great news for Spider-Man, begrudgingly reported by Forbes' resident DC fanboys who still felt compelled to not only shoehorn Wonder Woman into the lead headline (a movie that is essentially done with its run and out of theaters), but also use a picture from the movie for the main article accompaniment.  That pretty much cements the DC fanboy rep with me.  :roflmao:Also love the token aside near the end of the article that Homecoming will pass WW's global totals this week as well (and not mention the fact that Homecoming made the same worldwide tally about 4 weeks sooner than WW).  

I "wonder" if they will still be fawning over Homecoming when it is sitting in discount dollar theaters, and making  $160,000.  hm

-J.

Like has been pointed out a few times, Wonder Woman had a few international inhibitors keeping it from surging to $800M (+). Multiple countries banning the film due to Gal Gadot being from Israel or countries which are strongly male-dominated making it less of a success like Russia (Deadpool @ $26M, Doctor Strange @ $22.3M, Wonder Woman @ $8.5M). So to many news outlets, it was quite impressive to see this film break not only the domestic record, but also female-led movie records.

Disney/Marvel, though, didn't have such roadblocks. If anything, they play it fairly safe. Look at what was done to Doctor Strange to ensure they did not offend the Chinese audience by having The Ancient One coming from Tibet. Even the co-writer admitted this publicly. And by adding Spider-Man to the wider MCU starting with Civil War, it wasn't like this movie wasn't going to be a success. Again - a safe bet by buddying up Spider-Man with Iron Man along with Captain America spots.

Don't get so offended that finally a DCEU movie gets some strong positive attention. It's a big market out there to cover both.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Like has been pointed out a few times, Wonder Woman had a few international inhibitors keeping it from surging to $800M (+). Multiple countries banning the film due to Gal Gadot being from Israel or countries which are strongly male-dominated making it less of a success like Russia (Deadpool @ $26M, Doctor Strange @ $22.3M, Wonder Woman @ $8.5M). So to many news outlets, it was quite impressive to see this film break not only the domestic record, but also female-led movie records.

Disney/Marvel, though, didn't have such roadblocks. If anything, they play it fairly safe. Look at what was done to Doctor Strange to ensure they did not offend the Chinese audience by having The Ancient One coming from Tibet. Even the co-writer admitted this publicly. And by adding Spider-Man to the wider MCU starting with Civil War, it wasn't like this movie wasn't going to be a success. Again - a safe bet by buddying up Spider-Man with Iron Man along with Captain America spots.

Don't get so offended that finally a DCEU movie gets some strong positive attention. It's a big market out there to cover both.

Bosco- My comment was aimed solely and squarely at the Forbes' coverage, mainly because that seems to be the most oft-cited article around these parts.  

But your response brought up some larger issues that I have had with the excessive, gushing coverage for WW in general.  I saw the movie.  I thought it was OK.  I thought is was basically a combination of the first Captain America movie with some Thor mixed in.  So DC finally made a "good" movie by making their movie more like a Marvel movie.   Good for them.  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all and what-not.  

But for the folks who want to blame sexism, racism, religious-ism, or whatever other perceived "ism" for the movie's very real shortcomings and shortfalls, but while also touting it as the "highest female led, directed, grossing"- whatever - is trying to have your cake and eat it too.  And none of that has ever been a stat I have ever heard anyone in the media mention before until with WW, by the way, so I don't think it's really a "thing". Whatever additional minimal grosses WW "might" have lost out on by not being released in a few countries were more than made up for by the relentless coverage and SJW preening the film received state side.  Also, the movie just didn't do that great in some larger territories, and not just Russia, but also Japan.  Maybe that doesn't have anything to do with anything other than the fact that the movie just wasn't as well liked, or did not translate well there.   Maybe it's just that simple. 

Meantime, nobody is making, or needs to make, these kinds of excuses about Homecoming, even though the Planet of the Apes movie coming out one week after Homecoming might have taken $25-$30MM out of its domestic coffers.  That was a dumb move by Fox, and was more to their detriment in the end than Sony's, but it happened.  When Homecoming had that "big" second weekend drop, Forbes was the first to point it out, and started re-adjusting its forecasts for the movie's final numbers.  Marvel didn't panic.  Sony didn't panic.  At least not publicly.  Homecoming also released during the most competitive point in the summer movie season.  Sure it had Iron Man and some other MCU cameos, but again, that was the point of the partnership with Sony.  That's called good business, and it has paid off handsomely for both studios. 

At the end of the day, you're right, the marketplace is large enough  (for now, at least) to sustain two decent-good movies.  These two, along with GOTG2 propped up the entire summer movie calendar. But blaming "isms" on why WW didnt make a billion dollars makes just about as much sense as blaming the hurricanes on why Homecoming won't.   2c

-J.