• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

http://heroichollywood.com/home-1/2015/6/23/an-inside-look-into-tom-hollands-spider-man-casting

This sounds like the most probable reason Asa wasn't cast.

The truth is whatever discussion Marvel and Sony had over the casting of Spider-Man, that deliberation ended after the screen-testing weekend back on May 30th in Atlanta’s Pinewood Studios. See, Asa Butterfield and Tom Holland were the frontrunners all along. While Marvel and Sony certainly weren’t happy with Asa Butterfield talking about the role on Reddit, that wasn’t the defining factor that made Tom Holland our new Spider-Man. The truth is that both parties of Marvel and Sony were very impressed with Holland’s audition, like Devin Faraci had reported some weeks before the screen testing, but there’s more.

Who was the actor that flew to Atlanta that same Saturday to help with the screen testings? That’s Robert Downey Jr.. As everyone knows, Downey has a reputation for his talent, charisma in his stunning portrayal of Tony Stark. However he is also known for being relatively short, standing at 5ft 8in tall to be precise. Can you picture the skinny Asa Butterfield (6’0’’) screen testing with Robert Downey Jr. (5’8’’)? Tom Holland in the other hand is shorter than Robert Downey Jr. (5'7''). While that wasn't the main reason that Holland got the role instead of Butterfield, it certainly didn't hurt Tom's case to look good next to the Marvel Cinematic Universe's main man. Back on June 3rd, when Asa Butterfield posted on twitter #6ftclub four days after the screen-testing happened, he already knew that Marvel and Sony wouldn’t need him on set back in Atlanta. This wouldn't surprise me at all, You cqn't have someone tower of the highest paid actor in your group. lol

Wow! These guys are just as bad as - well - fanboys.

WIKILEAKS: Marvel Calls Avi Arad 'Totally Nuts' In Leaked 'Spider-Man' Emails

Kevin Feige mocking Sony's Spidey reboot.

They are definitely setting up an alternate universe to the first trilogy. No doubt about it – I saw the spider bite in Sam Raimi's movie and it was totally different than the Spider bite in ASM. They have rebooted. In a million years I would not advocate rebooting the Iron Man MCU. To me it's James Bond and we can keep telling new stories for decades even with different actors.

President of Marvel Entertainment Alan Fine adds a little extra sauce to the mix.

Avi is totally nuts.

More confirmation to me that he never knew what he was doing. Question for you both: One day soon we will be rebooting the Iron Man franchise with new actors. In that reboot would you change the events of the first trilogy? E.g. Obadiah becomes a true father figure to Tony, Pepper gets jealous and she becomes the one that gets him thrown out of the company and tries to kill him for walking away from defense contracts? Pepper Potts falls in love with a Caucasian Rhodey instead of Tony? It’s almost like setting up an alternate universe to the first trilogy. You guys are not seeing this?

Even more interesting news in all that was that Feige pretty much said "we're never rebooting completely as long as I have something to say about it. We'll recast on the fly & keep going"

Wow! These guys are just as bad as - well - fanboys.

WIKILEAKS: Marvel Calls Avi Arad 'Totally Nuts' In Leaked 'Spider-Man' Emails

Kevin Feige mocking Sony's Spidey reboot.

They are definitely setting up an alternate universe to the first trilogy. No doubt about it – I saw the spider bite in Sam Raimi's movie and it was totally different than the Spider bite in ASM. They have rebooted. In a million years I would not advocate rebooting the Iron Man MCU. To me it's James Bond and we can keep telling new stories for decades even with different actors.

President of Marvel Entertainment Alan Fine adds a little extra sauce to the mix.

Avi is totally nuts.

More confirmation to me that he never knew what he was doing. Question for you both: One day soon we will be rebooting the Iron Man franchise with new actors. In that reboot would you change the events of the first trilogy? E.g. Obadiah becomes a true father figure to Tony, Pepper gets jealous and she becomes the one that gets him thrown out of the company and tries to kill him for walking away from defense contracts? Pepper Potts falls in love with a Caucasian Rhodey instead of Tony? It’s almost like setting up an alternate universe to the first trilogy. You guys are not seeing this?

I can't even imagine some of the stuff I would've said about those Garfield movies in private e-mail.

I can't even imagine some of the stuff I would've said about those Garfield movies in private e-mail.

lol

After seeing ASM2 one time, that was all I could take. So much wasted potential in that movie, and for a longer franchise.

:(

Director Ron Howard weighs in on the new Spider-Man

Howard, a veteran director and former child star himself was asked what Holland brings to the role of Spider-Man: “Tom's young, incredibly agile and fit. He's also very accessible and very relatable. He's one of us and has tremendous skills as an actor. He'll bring humanity and heart and humor and energy." He also praised his work ethic and the experience, and training he gained going back to his time working on Billy Elliot.

I like that his first appearance will be in Civil War, he was a pivotal character to the story. The current roster of heroes is rather lacking in secret identities and a big reveal is what is needed to make the story work as intended.

Additionally the casting of Holland and the surrounding comments by those involved in the process are leaving me with the impression of a more Ditko leaning Spiderman than Romita. Not that one is better than the other both good established brands like Coke and Pepsi.

I also believe that having a young actor in the role with so many veterans opens up all sorts of humorous dialogue options. It allows for organically funny moments due to the generation gap as opposed to forcing a square joke into a round plot. Cant you see iron man flying in with his trademark AC/DC playing and Spiderman says something like "...that's cool Mr. Stark, my history teacher Mr.Tanner taught us about the 80's last semester. When you have time I want to ask you about something called a DeLorean".

I still don't think Civil War is about secret identities. I think it'll be about oversight & making superheroes government employees.

Agreed, but its also about the government knowing who everyone is, taking away any secrets.

Exclusive: Kevin Feige on the Marvel-Sony Spider-Man Connection

SuperHeroHype got on the phone with Feige to talk about Marvel’s more immediate achievement, which was the fact that nine years after it was announced, they were finally rolling out the Ant-Man movie.

During our far-too-short interview, Feige talked about how that partnership with Sony has been going.

“We’re producing that movie for Sony and in partnership with Amy Pascal, so it’s been going through the same process of any other Marvel film would, and it’s been great. Tom Rothman at Sony has been very supportive in the decisions and obviously the two big ones we announced this week.”

Their previous work together helped in a major way to break down barriers.

With that in mind, we asked whether there was anything from the previous incarnations of Spider-Man directed by Sam Raimi and Marc Webb that Feige might want to carry over to the new movie, to which he diplomatically responded, “We’re going to have it be its own thing but some of those Spider-Man films… I think Spider-Man 2 is one of the best superhero movies ever, so that’s a lot to live up to.”

:applause:

Kevin Feige Reveals How New Spider-Man Will Be Different

"He'll be a Marvel Spider-Man, so that's better!"

:baiting:

“You look at the early comic books of Spider-Man and what was so great about what Stan Lee and Steve Ditko did was they said what if one of the most powerful heroes we have is a high school kid who also has to do homework and isn't a billionaire, or isn't a genius scientist, or isn't a trained assassin, or isn't another scientist who had an accident but is a kid?” Feige explained.

“The one thing that hasn't been able to be explored in the other five movies is his relationship to the broader Marvel Universe and that's something that was exciting to us. To go back to those Stan Lee, Steve Ditko origin tales of having him be younger and that dichotomy with dealing with the rest, and also in Brian Michael Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man.

“That the younger he was, the more truer he was to the original Spider-Man comic book stories and also the more unique and different he would be in comparison to the other Marvel heroes.”

Kevin Feige On SPIDER-MAN's Director And Tom Holland's Screen Test With Robert Downey Jr.

"It was myself and Amy Pascal and Tom Rothman, and also Jeremy Latchamand Louis D’Esposito at Marvel where involved in that," he revealed. "We met with a lot of people and came down to a couple of very, very, very good finals candidates. Jon just—we really liked his movie Cop Car, we met with him four, five, or six times, and each time he had more and more interesting things to say. And at Marvel, it always comes down to ultimately, “We can make a movie with this person for two years, we could spend almost every day with this person for two years. Let’s go."

Kevin Feige Reveals How New Spider-Man Will Be Different

"He'll be a Marvel Spider-Man, so that's better!"

:baiting:

“You look at the early comic books of Spider-Man and what was so great about what Stan Lee and Steve Ditko did was they said what if one of the most powerful heroes we have is a high school kid who also has to do homework and isn't a billionaire, or isn't a genius scientist, or isn't a trained assassin, or isn't another scientist who had an accident but is a kid?” Feige explained.

“The one thing that hasn't been able to be explored in the other five movies is his relationship to the broader Marvel Universe and that's something that was exciting to us. To go back to those Stan Lee, Steve Ditko origin tales of having him be younger and that dichotomy with dealing with the rest, and also in Brian Michael Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man.

“That the younger he was, the more truer he was to the original Spider-Man comic book stories and also the more unique and different he would be in comparison to the other Marvel heroes.”

I love how they always push Peter as a high schooler. They realize that in the Lee/Ditko run, Peter graduated high school within the first 3 years of the series, right? It wasn't about high school as much as being a young person with realistic struggles. They do mention that in the quote- I just wish they'd stop pushing the high school thing.

Marisa Tomei Cast As Aunt May In Marvel's Spider-Man Movie

Oscar-winner Marisa Tomei has been cast as Aunt May in Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures next Spider-Man movie, according to a report from Variety. Tomei will play opposite the new Peter Parker, Tom Holland.

Sony and Marvel did not comment on the Variety report.

The report states that the deal is still in the making, but that the studios put an offer out to the My Cousin Vinny and The Wrestler star just last week.

rs-560x415-131204134056-560-wrestler-tomei-ls-12413-143072.jpg

Huh. I wouldn't have matched those two up.