• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

Has Marvel and Sony Found Their New Norman Osborn?

The YouTube channel, The Hashtag Show, is reporting that Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures are eyeing Academy-Award winner Matthew McConaughey ("Interstellar") to play Norman Osborn in the new "Spider-Man" reboot. McConaughey himself confirmed that he spoke to both Marvel Studios and Warner Bros. Pictures about working with them on some scripts for their upcoming superhero properties but wouldn't go into detail about the character.

The site says that this news is unconfirmed at the moment so take it as a rumor for now. The character of Norman Osborne has been played twice in film by actors Willem Dafoe ("Platoon") and Chris Cooper ("The Bourne Identity").

Spider-Man frontrunners are testing in Georgia…

Source: http://www.superherohype.com/news/342455-spider-man-frontrunners-screen-test-in-atlanta

Following the previously-reported frontrunners last month, The Hollywood Reporter has an update on which actors actually participated in screen tests in Atlanta today for the role of Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. According to the trade, both Asa Butterfield (Hugo, Ender’s Game) and Tom Holland (The Impossible) are still in the mix. The site adds:

The other four hopefuls included: Judah Lewis (a relative newbie who will be seen in the Jean Marc-Vallee’s fall drama Demolition), Matthew Lintz (who will be seen with Adam Sandler in this summer’s Pixels), Charlie Plummer (who had a recurring gig on Boardwalk Empire), and Charlie Rowe (a British actor who appeared on Fox’s short-lived Red Band Society).

Present for the tests were Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige, producer Amy Pascal, and Joe and Anthony Russo, the duo that is directing Captain America: Civil War, the film which is expected to feature the first appearance of the new Spidey. After the May 6, 2016 release from Marvel Studios, Spider-Man will then get his own solo film from Sony Pictures, set for release on July 28, 2017.

“There is a young kid [already] running around New York City in a homemade version of the Spider-Man costume in the MCU,” Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige previously told CraveOnline. “You just don’t know it yet… In Spider-Man’s very specific case, where there have been two retellings of that origin in the last whatever it’s been – [thirteen] years – for us we are going to take it for granted that people know that, and the specifics.”

The Reporter says that the producers have looked at over 1,500 boys from around the world. The narrowed-down list of actors tested in Atlanta because that is where “Civil War” is currently filming. A decision on the actor is expected to be made early this week.

I really like the fact that they are taking their time with this…trying to ensure they get it 100% right. Plus keeping it away from Sony is a plus!

Has Marvel and Sony Found Their New Norman Osborn?

The YouTube channel, The Hashtag Show, is reporting that Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures are eyeing Academy-Award winner Matthew McConaughey ("Interstellar") to play Norman Osborn in the new "Spider-Man" reboot. McConaughey himself confirmed that he spoke to both Marvel Studios and Warner Bros. Pictures about working with them on some scripts for their upcoming superhero properties but wouldn't go into detail about the character.

The site says that this news is unconfirmed at the moment so take it as a rumor for now. The character of Norman Osborne has been played twice in film by actors Willem Dafoe ("Platoon") and Chris Cooper ("The Bourne Identity").

Norman Osborn with a drawl? Can't be any worse than the other incarnations.

I really like the fact that they are taking their time with this…trying to ensure they get it 100% right. Plus keeping it away from Sony is a plus!

I do have to agree. I like that Marvel is really trying to get this one right out of the gate.

Spider-Man Hopefuls Screen-Test in Atlanta as Marvel Decision Nears (Exclusive)

And they are making sure all the key players are there for the decision.

The actors were flown to Atlanta for the tests; that is where Marvel is currently in production on Civil War, the movie in which the character will be introduced before going on to headline his own hopeful trilogy that will be made by Sony Pictures.

Present for the tests were Marvel head honcho Kevin Feige, former Sony head and now a Spider-Man producer Amy Pascal and Joe and Anthony Russo, the brothers who are directing Civil War.

Spider-Man Director Shortlist Includes Ted Melfi And Jonathan Levine

Leading the small lis of candidates are St. Vincent director Ted Melfi and Warm Bodies’ Jonathan Levine. However, directing duo John Francis Daley & Jonathan Goldstein, and John Watts are also in consideration. The final decision will ultimately fall on Sony heads Amy Pascal and Tom Rothmans, along with Marvel Studios’ head Kevin Feige.

As Marvel and Sony narrow down directors, they are also close to choosing their Spider-Man. Actors Asa Butterfield and Tom Holland are reportedly the lead contenders for the role of Peter Parker/ Spider-Man.

Apparently Asa Butterfield Is No Longer In The Running To Play SPIDER-MAN

Apparently it's taken so long to settle on someone because both studios are clashing over who they want to see take up the webshooters: Sony want Holland, and Marvel want Plummer. There's speculation that Butterfield might have messed up his chances by going on Reddit and discussing his potential casting.

So, if it is indeed down to 3 and no more contender emerge, it's safe to assume our new Spidey will either be Tom Holland, Charlie Plummer, or Matthew Lintz.

Ugh. "Lex Luthor" syndrome.

ENOUGH with the Green Goblin.

Spidey has so many cool villains to pick from.

I'm stocking up on ASM #172 hoping that it is the Rocket Racer ;)

Smart move (thumbs u

I'm also thinking of ASM #81…first Kangaroo! Could be BIG!!!

I agree. Spidey has SO many great villains to choose from...They should give Norman/GG a break and rehabilitate the character for a later time.

They have used quite a few villains though...We have seen GG, Doc Ock (which was pretty great), Venom, Lizard, Electro and even Rhino to a lesser extent...I think it would be interesting if Marvel would go with a villain we have not seen any incarnation of on the big screen. They could do some pretty cool effects with Mysterio.

I *can* see how they want to include Norman though in the Marvel Cinematic U...They could set him up as a big player and after Civil War maybe he could emerge to become the President or new SHIELD Director , heroes are all outlawed...Whole Dark Reign thing...

Anyway, I don't really care who they cast or who the villain is so long as they make a GOOD Spidey film...ASM 2 was like Spider-Man 3 for me...Just...So...Much...Wrong...With...It...

Why The New Spider-Man Casting Is Taking So Long

Meet The Movie Press say that the reason casting the role has been taking so long is because Marvel Studios' people and Sony's people aren't seeing eye-to-eye on the decision. As such, it's even a little unclear who the new top candidate is because the two companies like two different people. According to the podcast's sources, the folks at the comic book giant like Boardwalk Empire actor Charlie Plummer for the part, while the home of the last two wall-crawler franchises likes The Impossible's Tom Holland. Said reporter Jeff Sneider:

"Marvel is the creative lead, as we’ve heard on this - that’s why they got brought in. Sony trusts them, the marketplace trusts them… On the other hand, Sony’s footing the bill. Sony is paying for this movie, not Marvel, and when it’s your money on the line, you want your say to matter."

The reason why Marvel was brought in is because Sony wasted their "money on the line."

Marvel should have the only say. Period. Sony can let Marvel go and make their own decisions again...and lose more money.

I KNEW this deal wouldn't work.