• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emerald City Comic Con, April 7-10, 2016, Seattle, WA

343 posts in this topic

Having travel with Al through the border in the past, I can understand why they think he is sketchy.

Here is a typical response when the guards ask where we are going. Instead of a simple answer of comic book convention, he says something vague like pop culture extravaganza where the guard has to ask numerous follow up questions.

I asked Al why he gave this stupid answer and it was that he didn't want the guard to think that we were geeks.

Like it matters to them

Worst ECCC I've been to so far - weak comic book guest list, a stack of celebrity cancellations and just plain ol' nothing to do after having gone through the small amount of comic book dealers at the show.

Changing my flight so I'm flying back tonight - there's just no point in going to the show tomorrow.

I had a great time but I have to admit I left early this morning. Two days was more than enough and if the comic guest list doesn't improve I will most likely not be going again.

I have been to a number of ECCC in the past decade. Used to be my favorite show. I'm sad to say and I agree with others, this year was by far and away the worst. I can see it quickly turning into a WonderCon type of event. I'm sure the general public had a good enough time. It certainly was crowded. But, if you're looking for quality comics, art, and guests, this wasn't it.

On the plus side, the weather was fantastic. Spent time outside walking about and explored a bit of Seattle and surrounds. Fine city. Hopefully, this con returns back to it's 'A' game.

I disagree with disparaging the artists in attendance.

There were a lot of great ones, and I could have certainly filled a lot of time interacting with them and chasing sketches if I did the whole weekend.

+1 I spent most of my time in artist alley which is why most of the pics I put up in comics general are not of comic books. There were a lot of really good artists at this years show.

I disagree with disparaging the artists in attendance.

There were a lot of great ones, and I could have certainly filled a lot of time interacting with them and chasing sketches if I did the whole weekend.

Wasn't meant as a disparagement for the artists/creators that actually were at the show - just that, compared to previous years, there was a distinct lack of A-level creators in attendance :shrug:

Worst ECCC I've been to so far - weak comic book guest list, a stack of celebrity cancellations and just plain ol' nothing to do after having gone through the small amount of comic book dealers at the show.

Changing my flight so I'm flying back tonight - there's just no point in going to the show tomorrow.

+1

ECCC isn't what is used to be 5 years ago, them were the days....

Jerome

I noticed EBAS was there but it looked like he was trying to keep a low profile. Didn't see his name anywhere annd he was busy working on a sketch cover. Someone else mentioned they had gone to the Image retailers show and gotten a Jim Lee sketch since there was only about twenty people there.

I noticed EBAS was there but it looked like he was trying to keep a low profile. Didn't see his name anywhere annd he was busy working on a sketch cover. Someone else mentioned they had gone to the Image retailers show and gotten a Jim Lee sketch since there was only about twenty people there.

They had a ticketed Jim Lee signing on Thursday at ECCC - he was sketching for anybody who asked for it.

They had a ticketed Jim Lee signing on Thursday at ECCC - he was sketching for anybody who asked for it.

Hey Mike. Was Saturday better at the CGC booth? I started to take a picture but the minions looked bored. Never seen it that slow at the CGC booth.

I echo the sentiments of most people here that the con was sub par. We didn't bother with Sunday as we felt we've seen and done everything by end of Saturday.

Only plus was we beat the rush to the border... 2 questions from the border guard and we were through.

Sam

Thanks for stopping by my booth and saying hi. I had noticed shortly before the con that there were some guests that were listed on the site under exhibitors but not announced as guests. I believe Greg Horn was one of them. I think you meant the DC Roadshow, regarding Jim Lee, I went there and there were not many retailers there, it didn't surprise because it was late on Thursday night and went until about 10:30pm. I know most of the retailers in the area, yet only ran into one that I knew. But the convention brings retailers from all over the pacific northwest and beyond so chances are most of them were from outside the area. I guess I was just surprised that hardly any I knew in the greater Seattle area didn't bother to attend, could be because they were tired from the convention earlier in the day and wanted to simply go home and sleep or back to their stores to restock.

There were a number of DC and Diamond Comic reps there at the roadshow, I didn't speak to anyone from Diamond but the DC reps were great, very professional and incredibly nice. Because there weren't that many, it was easy to get to chat with Lee who signed for the retailers and drew sketches. Obviously he can't do a full blown commission for those at the event or a con in general, but at the seminar he spent a solid 7-8 minutes working on mine and I was quite thrilled as I had never gotten a chance to meet him and have been a fan since the early 90's. DC also went all out and had an open bar and fed us dinner too. There were no variant exclusives handed out, but they did have three lithograph/prints they gave us which Lee signed for anyone who wanted it signed as well as any books anyone happen to have brought to the event. The prints were one for Rebirth, one for Scooby Apocalypse, and one for Future Quest (Lee didn't the art on this one). Lee was very nice to everyone, I can't say enough good things about the man, he mentioned he was flying back home Friday morning.

Is there any local Seattle cons? I miss Philadelphia where they had a $3 con every other month where local dealers would set up.

There are two cons really to consider, one is the Bellingham ComiCon which is about a 60-75 drive north of Seattle. The organizer is a great guy and while its only a one day show a lot of comic book fans enjoy the show, from what I have heard, it can be a good place for silver/golden age collectors. I have never attended the show myself as I always have something going on when it comes around, but its not a show with a heavy emphasis on guests, lots of local sellers tend to set up there. Its a small show.

http://www.bellinghamcomicon.com/

There is also the Jet City Comic Show in Tacoma Washington about 45-60 minutes south of Seattle. Various dealers offering golden/silver/modern comics, not the craziness of ECCC or larger cons but seems to be a good show for show for collectors who like a more relaxed atmosphere.

http://www.jetcitycomicshow.com/

There is then the Rose City Comic-Con in Portland Oregon which is 3 hours south of Seattle followed by Wizard World.

Is there any local Seattle cons? I miss Philadelphia where they had a $3 con every other month where local dealers would set up.

There are two cons really to consider, one is the Bellingham ComiCon which is about a 60-75 drive north of Seattle. The organizer is a great guy and while its only a one day show a lot of comic book fans enjoy the show, from what I have heard, it can be a good place for silver/golden age collectors. I have never attended the show myself as I always have something going on when it comes around, but its not a show with a heavy emphasis on guests, lots of local sellers tend to set up there. Its a small show.

There is also the Jet City Comic Show in Tacoma Washington about 45-60 minutes south of Seattle. Various dealers offering golden/silver/modern comics, not the craziness of ECCC or larger cons but seems to be a good show for show for collectors who like a more relaxed atmosphere.

There is then the Rose City Comic-Con in Portland Oregon which is 3 hours south of Seattle followed by Wizard World.

Thank you for the info. I am going to definitely do Rose City because Matt Kindt is one of my favorite artists. He didn't do ECCC the year I go. This is what I was talking about with the Philadelphia local show http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9253212#Post9253212

I'm surprised Seattle doesn't have any local shows.

Thank you for the info. I am going to definitely do Rose City because Matt Kindt is one of my favorite artists. He didn't do ECCC the year I go. This is what I was talking about with the Philadelphia local show http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9253212#Post9253212

+1 Thanks and I enjoyed talking to you (Grimrod).

Seattle does have one local show that pops up every 3 to 4 months in the Seattle area (Auburn, Shoreline). Here is the information http://www.twinoaksshows.com/#2802

Been going there for years, and I know a few other boardies sell at the show and attend.