• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Emerald City Comic Con, April 7-10, 2016, Seattle, WA

343 posts in this topic

I'm hanging out at the Image Expo. Gorgeous day here!

I am curious how the Expo was and what variants they had being offered and who the special mystery guests that attended were, would love a brief write-up if you get a chance.

Here are all the books from the Image Expo, no special guest.

87a45230a345435c2188ebc5834c871a_zps48etpa4a.jpg

So there were two variants, a preview book, and a hardcover and that was it? Did you buy the $25 pass to get in or the $75 premium pass? They had advertised special mystery guests as attending and the only way to get their signature was to buy the $75 pass to the "premium" signing event.

At least I see Jim Lee's sig on that special Image comic. Guess that makes Klaus Janson 1 of the top 2 comic creator guests to get a sig from.

No tv Supergirls at ECCC. doh!

Some thought that Robert Kirkman or McFarlane would be making an appearance at Image Expo but it doesn't sound like that happened.

What time does this show start, already! Not going to be there but I have a bunch of commissions being picked up!!!!

I don't know that any comic con ever opens by 830am....

2 PM Today -

Show Floor Hours:

Thursday, April 7: 2:00 PM – 7:00 PM

Friday, April 8: 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM

Saturday, April 9: 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM

Sunday, April 10: 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM

What time does this show start, already! Not going to be there but I have a bunch of commissions being picked up!!!!

lol I've been waiting since the beginning of February!!! Give a guy a break. lol

Plus, I get an email from an art rep "artist killed your commission. Looks awesome!" No pic! Just cruel. And again, I'm just joking.

lol I've been waiting since the beginning of February!!! Give a guy a break. lol

Plus, I get an email from an art rep "artist killed your commission. Looks awesome!" No pic! Just cruel. And again, I'm just joking.

Which artist?

So there were two variants, a preview book, and a hardcover and that was it? Did you buy the $25 pass to get in or the $75 premium pass? They had advertised special mystery guests as attending and the only way to get their signature was to buy the $75 pass to the "premium" signing event.

There were signed Spawn books and posters for Retailers

Worst experience in 35 years driving across the border to USA especially with the NAFTA free trade agreement in place btwn Canada and USA. My car with 4 single Asian folk was pulled over for a secondary inspection that took about 5 minutes.

Within the 4 'suspicious' knapsacks, the USA border found 3 undeclared comics. Normally this would not be a problem if I said I was bringing them down to get signed by Mr Lee (Stan Lee or Jim Lee) for my personal collection.

In this case, I was being overly organized and had the full market value declared on a pre-printed Cgc invoice as I was going to have the 3 comics pressed and Cgc slabbed via ECCC. The value was declared at $5,300 for insurance purposes which was a big problem, as it meant my group was DENIED entry into USA and turned around at the border after the 2 HOUR :tonofbricks: wait for them to make that decision plus they said they were going to mail me a 'fine' of $5,300 US for the undeclared goods but I had an option to appeal the fine down to perhaps $500 that I was initially quoted for the 3 undeclared comics.

Previously, a consumer/tourist only had to declare if they were taking over $10k cash or cash equivalent in goods across the border. I made sure I had well less than that including cash on hand. USA border deemed my 3 comics "commercial goods" as they were going to the slabbing service then to ComicLink for auction. I said these were from my PERSONAL collection and bought them 25 years ago. Does not matter if I don't have a comic store, active eBay seller account or webpage for comics, as still deemed "commercial goods."

Best not to argue with the Border patrol as they hold your car keys and all our Canadian passports. 1 young couple with a 3 year old child had there car seized that morning on the USA side. I saw them rolling their baby stroller back across to the Canada side of the border to fill out paperwork.

Bottom line, it took 25 mins to re-enter Canada border. Then USA border cop expected me to drive a mile to other truck border crossing (30 mins line up), go through Border Brokerage paperwork (minimum 30 mins) to get:

1. USA Customs invoice (by unit quanity)

2. NAFTA Certificate of Origin form for goods over $2,500 US in value filled out. Comics printed in USA and returning to USA point of origin. No duty on books or comics.

Then re-enter line up to cross over to WA state side so about another 15 mins.

Too much hassle, as we were already delayed a full TWO (2) hours on USA border side just to be turned around/rejected back into Canada. I will wait for the USA fine/penalty of $5,300 in the mail and appeal as the 3 comics are still in Canada.

Sorry for the Rant. Please don't take more than $2,500 worth of comics or comic art across the border to USA without paying for Pacific Customs Brokerage official :hi: paperwork ahead of time. doh!

Wow, that sucks! Knowing that I wasn't going to Seattle, I thought about asking you to drop off books to get pressed....lucky I was too lazy to ask. Sorry about what you and the boyz had to go through. Just bad luck on your part.

Man, that is crazy when it come with U.S. Border officials and with comic books. I had a bit of that last year when I took some parcels to ship out thru U.S. Postal. All were comic books at that time. They did stop me for a secondly inspection when I handed the documents to show the values and all invoices.

Of course, the difference is that the total value was under $1,000 back then.

All that for almost one and half hours in waiting line and stuff! Too much hassle to tell you ... So I feel your pain.

Thanks for the advice. Glad I decided to go to Calgary Expo to have my books signed. That could had been me at the U.S. Border! :whistle:

There were 2 other car loads of 4 collector/cosplayers per car pulled over during the 2 hours we were at the USA border crossing. Seems like they had undeclared minor value comics in their trunk or sacks so just paid a nominal $6 processing fee for the goods on way to ECCC for signature or to sell/promote their own independent press comics.

Heard that another car this morning had his trunk thoroughly searched, as he declared he was crossing the border to buy cheap USA gas and pick up his parcels that may include eBay comics. Thus the border patrol is extra aware of comics crossing the border during ECCC weekend.

There were 2 other car loads of 4 collector/cosplayers per car pulled over during the 2 hours we were at the USA border crossing. Seems like they had undeclared minor value comics in their trunk or sacks so just paid a nominal $6 processing fee for the goods on way to ECCC for signature or to sell/promote their own independent press comics.

Heard that another car this morning had his trunk thoroughly searched, as he declared he was crossing the border to buy cheap USA gas and pick up his parcels that may include eBay comics. Thus the border patrol is extra aware of comics crossing the border during ECCC weekend.

Which come to mind ... I do have two parcels waiting for me in Blaine, both were from auctions and are comics. Hope the Canadian officials are nicer to me than the other side were to me :wishluck:

Should be fun having to go there this weekend crossing over the line!