• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FCBD 2015

132 posts in this topic

I'm going to say this here.

I hate FCBD.

I have always hated FCBD.

I've always just wanted a single set of each one, when they came out.

Retailers acted like FCBD was only for people off the street, not existing customers, and were put out if I wanted a complete set.

And, of course, they have no problem charging for them after the fact.

Really has left a bad taste in my mouth.

The past couple of years I've been able to order an almost complete set of FCBD books from Midtown Comics. They're awesome like that!

For free? Very cool.

I hate FCBD.

Retailers acted like FCBD was only for people off the street, not existing customers, and were put out if I wanted a complete set.

My invoice this week is $12,000+ for "FREE comics" to give away this year.

The lions share of costs for this day is still firmly on the retailer.

Sorry if a FREE set cannot be provided to you...

( Jebus...)

Dial it back a bit, Larry.

I'm well aware that the free books cost the retailer...we call that an advertising budget...

It is shortsighted and foolish to deny a single set of books to customers who regularly spent $10,000+ in your store every year.

We're talking a couple of dollars in costs to the retailer for a set.

meh

"Let's see, should I deny my regular customers a SINGLE free set to hand them out to people who will likely toss them in the trash, and never set foot in the store again, making me absolutely nothing...?"

hm

Tough call, I know.

I give regular customers whatever they want.

I wouldn't give you a set.

I hate FCBD.

My invoice this week is $12,000+ for "FREE comics" to give away this year.

The lions share of costs for this day is still firmly on the retailer.

Sorry if a FREE set cannot be provided to you...

( Jebus...)

Dial it back a bit, Larry.

I'm well aware that the free books cost the retailer...we call that an advertising budget...

It is shortsighted and foolish to deny a single set of books to customers who regularly spent $10,000+ in your store every year.

We're talking a couple of dollars in costs to the retailer for a set.

meh

"Let's see, should I deny my regular customers a SINGLE free set to hand them out to people who will likely toss them in the trash, and never set foot in the store again, making me absolutely nothing...?"

hm

Tough call, I know.

I give regular customers whatever they want.

I wouldn't give you a set.

It's not about me, Larry, and it's not about you. Why you go out of your way to make enemies, I'll never know.

But getting a FREE set on FREE comic book day from someone I WAS a regular customer of...? No, not out of line, at all.

Those of you who get a set, enjoy! :)

Why you go out of your way to make enemies, I'll never know.

One could ask you the same thing, as you added an antagonistic post to a generally positive thread.

I do find it comical that you feel entitled to a FREE set though...

Maybe somebody will bite & hook you up.

You're delightful.

Why you go out of your way to make enemies, I'll never know.

One could ask you the same thing, as you added an antagonistic post to a generally positive thread.

It wasn't "antagonistic", and it was in reply to your shot. You can't "ask me the same thing", because I don't go out of my way to take shots at people I don't like, and I'm not openly hostile to people I don't get along with.

And, of course, I deleted the irrelevant part, because you are right...it's not necessary in this thread.

I do find it comical that you feel entitled to a FREE set though...

I'll say it again: it's FREE comic book day. What more needs to be said...?

Maybe somebody will bite & hook you up.

You're delightful.

Someday, Larry, you'll not be everyone's enemy, and instead will be their friend. I very much look forward to that day, and that Larry.

Listen Man,

I respect you. I've grown to appreciate your posting style & often sage advice.

You're just dead wrong on this one.

You don't like FCBD because your LCS does not provide you a FREE set of the offerings. You feel entitled because you are a valuable customer.

I vehemently disagree.

My shop is blessed to be well financed.

Most of the independent retailers that make up this fragile marketplace cannot afford to provide their customers with a "set" of FCBD books

2015's cost : $32.27 set

I "DO" use FCBD as an outreach day. Advertising.

It's not about the regulars, but potential new blood.

I placate regulars with an event atmosphere. Sale, signings, Party ect...

It's a generally fun day.

Today's loss of Herb is a kick in the balls...

h5DHOJR.jpg

Listen Man,

You don't like FCBD because your LCS does not provide you a FREE set of the offerings. You feel entitled because you are a valuable customer.

I vehemently disagree.

You've missed the point. I was talking about FCBD back when it was 20 or so books. You know, like 2005? I didn't say anything about getting a "2015 set."

Context is critical.

A full set of "free" comics in 2005 cost retailers a total of $2.64.

Hardly a major outlay at the time.

Mile High Comics is offering a full set to anyone placing a $400 order on their store. You can also reserve each FCBD comic book every $10 you spend on the store.

Also, in the past my LCS was giving free sets to anyone spending $100 in store.

I give 5 comics to each customer that comes in.

On that day, I might see 1500 customers.

Of that 1500, maybe 50 are faces I recognize from shopping in my store.

I would estimate 1000 as people I have only seen on FCBD from previous years.

So, I might have 450 people come in that I don't recognize.

I hope this 450 come back and buy something later on. That's one of the goals of the program.

Of this 1500, I can estimate with pretty good accuracy, that I'll recieve very close to 75 "thank you"s.

It is a fun day, and also exhausting.

From a retailer's POV, I want the kids to have fun and get some comics in their hands, but I also would like to see a bit of return, financially.

Mile High Comics is offering a full set to anyone placing a $400 order on their store. You can also reserve each FCBD comic book every $10 you spend on the store.

Also, in the past my LCS was giving free sets to anyone spending $100 in store.

That's a nice incentive. I just spent $100 at a local store yesterday, but they don't have that offer. ;)

all my subscribers get free comics equal to their monthly sub/pull list...works out great....typically those that only subscribe to 1-5 comics only care to get 1-5 comics....

those that get 100+ each month want, and "deserve" a complete set....they are allowed entrance to our store 30 minutes before general public...

that said, I order in quantites sufficient to take care of all subs and all locals that walk in, and still generally have 1000+ comics left over (rather have too many than not enough)

I ordered 30 copies of the hiphop comic book - because retailers listen to you if you offer them money.

FCBD should be for the children. So anyone who is upset about not getting free books, think about the children.

Wutang is for the children.

I ordered 30 copies of the hiphop comic book - because retailers listen to you if you offer them money.

FCBD should be for the children. So anyone who is upset about not getting free books, think about the children.

Wutang is for the children.

RIP ODB

Listen Man,

I vehemently disagree.

You've missed the point. I was talking about FCBD back when it was 20 or so books. You know, like 2005? I didn't say anything about getting a "2015 set."

Context is critical.

A full set of "free" comics in 2005 cost retailers a total of $2.64.

Hardly a major outlay at the time.

Ok,

I get it now...

You hate Free Comic Book Day now & forever going forward, because a decade ago your Local comic shop would not provide you with a free set.

Yikes...

all my subscribers get free comics equal to their monthly sub/pull list...works out great....typically those that only subscribe to 1-5 comics only care to get 1-5 comics....

those that get 100+ each month want, and "deserve" a complete set....they are allowed entrance to our store 30 minutes before general public...

that said, I order in quantites sufficient to take care of all subs and all locals that walk in, and still generally have 1000+ comics left over (rather have too many than not enough)

You have multiple people in your store who order 100+ comics each month?

I have no idea if this is common or not, but its sounds impressive as hell to me. I've got a supernerd buddy who goes about 60 deep, and that's already out of control. can't read them fast enough, can't sort or store them fast enough, can't resell them for anything resembling profit (not that he has the time to).

But I guess if RMA was spending $10K annually in comics shops that don't give FCBD to regulars 10 years ago, $400 per month on comics ain't that crazy.

Maybe I need to rethink my priorities....or my career choice.