• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars: Rogue One
1 1

624 posts in this topic

I'm glad they figured out how to CGI Tarkin and Leia, because if they continue making movies like this, they'll be needing to CGI an audience for them.

$155 Million Domestic....$290 Million Worldwide....not bad for a movie where the most prominent actor was doing voice-overs. (shrug)

I'm glad they figured out how to CGI Tarkin and Leia, because if they continue making movies like this, they'll be needing to CGI an audience for them.

$155 Million Domestic....$290 Million Worldwide....not bad for a movie where the most prominent actor was doing voice-overs. (shrug)

Box office earnings have never been a make it or break it metric for me. The pace of the movie wasn't great, and it all may be forgotten depending on which points lagged and picked up pace with a great scene that followed soon after, of which there were a few. The visual effects were decent, but nothing spectacular. The Tarkin seemed much more polished visually, and it may be related to the amount of talking scenes where they thought they just had to get it right for the audience, but the Leia looked unpolished and reminded me of the early CGI days, which was odd given it was just a few seconds and they should have done better. I consider myself a bit of a Star Wars fan, and I think the franchise has always benefitted from people caving themselves in to avoid spoilers, because I really think the sentiment I'm sharing above will be one that you will probably hear more in the coming weeks. TFA was far more entertaining, a popcorn movie that I enjoyed from start to finish, whereas there were a few times in R1 where it felt like it was dragging.

Just one more note. 1977 released the most epic of all Star Wars films. I was just 10 years old. It was easy to be blown away. Same with Jaws that same year, I still don't go in the deep end of the pool. Now I'm 50 and I just thought Rougue One was a very enjoyable movie. It wasn't epic, but very well done. Much more impressed that that last one they served up.

My wife still makes fun of because of my fear of the water. Jaws did a number on me I will never recover from during my life. :eek:

+1

I loved it! Definite theater! I give it like an 8 or 9 out of 10.

Love to hear these reviews as I trust this Board more than the other community driven review sites. I'll need this in my corner to get my wife to attend this flick with me.....after the last movie, she told she would not be watching another.....

Box office earnings have never been a make it or break it metric for me. The pace of the movie wasn't great, and it all may be forgotten depending on which points lagged and picked up pace with a great scene that followed soon after, of which there were a few. The visual effects were decent, but nothing spectacular. The Tarkin seemed much more polished visually, and it may be related to the amount of talking scenes where they thought they just had to get it right for the audience, but the Leia looked unpolished and reminded me of the early CGI days, which was odd given it was just a few seconds and they should have done better. I consider myself a bit of a Star Wars fan, and I think the franchise has always benefitted from people caving themselves in to avoid spoilers, because I really think the sentiment I'm sharing above will be one that you will probably hear more in the coming weeks. TFA was far more entertaining, a popcorn movie that I enjoyed from start to finish, whereas there were a few times in R1 where it felt like it was dragging.

I agree Tarkin did look much better. After watching the end I immediately thought that.

Love to hear these reviews as I trust this Board more than the other community driven review sites. I'll need this in my corner to get my wife to attend this flick with me.....after the last movie, she told she would not be watching another.....

Rogue One was not the best movie I saw this weekend in the theater that honor goes to La La Land. Offer to take your wife to LA LA Land a love story and in return she goes see Rogue One with you. I'm the hardest person on films you will meet on this board ranking a lot of what people like bad, but when your like me and see 100 plus films a year in the theater you get a little picky. This is not the best film I have seen in the theater this year, but it is a top10 film that I have seen in the theater and top 3 for a mainstream film I have seen in the theater this year.

Rogue One was not the best movie I saw this weekend in the theater that honor goes to La La Land. Offer to take your wife to LA LA Land a love story and in return she goes see Rogue One with you. I'm the hardest person on films you will meet on this board ranking a lot of what people like bad, but when your like me and see 100 plus films a year in the theater you get a little picky. This is not the best film I have seen in the theater this year, but it is a top10 film that I have seen in the theater and top 3 for a mainstream film I have seen in the theater this year.

Always appreciate the insight and experience provided by Board viewers----Thank you!

A friend that is also a hardcore Star Wars fan went with his teenage son to see Rogue One this weekend. He called me the next day.

"THE BEST Star Wars movie I have ever seen!"

:o

And he has seen them all

I loved it.

First, they didn't screw up the plot in the ways I feared with the reshoots.

Second, I get how the film could be polarizing to audiences.

But the primary goal of this film was to show they could do a great Star Wars movie without direct connection to the Skywalker family or the characters showcased in the first 7 films -- to test how an expanded universe Star Wars film might work.

And on that score, they succeeded wildly.

Yeah - there were some pacing issues in the beginning, but by the third act, all was forgiven.

Not sure yet if I liked it more than TFA, but it took a lot more risks than that film, and to me, those risks paid off in spades.

After watching Rogue One my Star Wars rankings :

1. Empire

2. Rogue One

3. A New Hope

4. The Force Awakens

5. Return of the Jedi

6. Revenge of the Sith

7. Attack of the Clones

8. The Phantom Menace

1. Empire

2. Rogue One

3. A New Hope

4. The Force Awakens

5. Return of the Jedi

6. Revenge of the Sith

7. Attack of the Clones

8. The Phantom Menace

My ranking exactly.

1. Empire

2. Rogue One

3. A New Hope

4. The Force Awakens

5. Return of the Jedi

6. Revenge of the Sith

7. Attack of the Clones

8. The Phantom Menace

My ranking exactly.

me too, though I waffle on 2 and 3, since ANH is a complete self contained story while simultaneously introducing all of the mythos (ok all of the mythos we want to believe in), and for that I bump it just above RO.... though I could disagree with myself at any moment since RO is far better cinematography

Still behind the pace of Captain America: Civil War ($179.1m) and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ($166.1m) domestically.

I wonder if this has box office legs when the word gets out how good this is? hm

Went and saw it this afternoon and absolutely loved it.

Thought it was fantastic from start to finish.

K2-SO had to be my favorite.

The Vader scene at the end . . . :o

In my opinion, a prequel finally worthy of inclusion in the Star Wars legacy.