• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars: Rogue One
1 1

624 posts in this topic

Me, the wife and my friend went last night at 10.

For the first time ever, I went and bought tickets a few days in advance. I liked it, but felt little/no joy after leaving the theater and will not be seeing it again in theater. Bleak is not a good feeling for a movie to leave you with. Felt like a space version of, no country for old men. I saw force awakens 3 times and love it, LOTR Fellowship 9 times in theater and some movies demand a second viewing, this did not for me. I'm glad many of you are happy, for me it was just OK instead of greatness. Already looking forward to next December.

Pros: Visually stunning, Jyn Erso was a great lead, K-2SO was fun.

Cons: No scrolling credits, thick accents, forgettable characters, "could have been" -script.

That's an interesting perspective. I felt just the opposite about a few things. I thought the lack of scrolling credits and change to theme music were a pleasant surprise that added to the fact this was a stand-alone movie in the expanded universe. I was also really impressed with the way they dumbed-down certain effects to keep it in line with ANH, but yet still managed to make the movie visually stunning.

I left unsatisfied. I enjoyed some of the prequels more than this movie, so I would never rate it above any of the original three. It did have stunning visuals with the ships, ATAT's, etc.... They looked amazing. I also liked some of the characters and would loved to have seen them in future movies. Any scene with Vader is a win as well.

I didn't hate it and will see it again one more time in the theatres to take it all in again.

A few things I wasn't crazy about....

No crawl...made it a regular movie and not SW

When John Williams passes movies will never, ever be the same. The music was generic, except for the directly influenced Williams themes.

Dr. Evezan giving the exactly same line he uses in Star Wars, and Red Leader and Gold Leader "standing by" stolen directly from Star Wars footage was so hokey and cringe worthy. I also know I'm probably one of two people (other than my daughter) who noticed though.

Jim

I didn't hate it and will see it again one more time in the theatres to take it all in again.

A few things I wasn't crazy about....

No crawl...made it a regular movie and not SW

When John Williams passes movies will never, ever be the same. The music was generic, except for the directly influenced Williams themes.

Dr. Evezan giving the exactly same line he uses in Star Wars, and Red Leader and Gold Leader "standing by" stolen directly from Star Wars footage was so hokey and cringe worthy. I also know I'm probably one of two people (other than my daughter) who noticed though.

Jim

Personally, I really liked the fact that they took the exact same scenes from the original movies. There are just some parts you can not find a replacement for(i.e Tarkin and Leia) I cringed only slightly when I first saw the initial CGI, but after thinking about it, it was necessary to stay within the spirit of that time of the story line.

On a completely separate note, there was a nod to the Rebels series that was incredibly subtle that I did not even notice on the first viewing.

I think it's a very brave movie for Disney to make. Darker in many respects than the others.

I do too. I think many who were disappointed were holding it up to TFA. They are in the same universe but different movies. Im glad they are giving us these side stories, while trying to maintain the magic of the "Episodes"

Just got back.

Like a few have said, a slow start but the last 15 minutes are worth the price of admission.

Its a gritty story that doesn't sugarcoat anything so you can feel good after the movie.

If you go into this movie looking for that you won't find it. Personally, Im glad they found the balls to make it.

8/10

Same old SW b.s.

what did you feel was "same old" about it? Seemed like the most original thing to be created in the Star Wars universe yet.

+1

People, not lame droids getting killed in a heartfelt rebellion, I loved this movie, I even enjoyed the buildup in the beginning. I think I'm one of the few who does not mind a slow burn buildup. I'm actually more exited to see it again to pick up on some stuff early on that I missed. Enjoyed this movie way more than The Force Awakens 2c

Very dark ending. I was disappointed that

there were no Jedi in it. That's a 1st for a Star Wars film. I loved the droid but was a little let down overall. I was expecting Forest Whitaker to give this awe inspiring speech from the trailers I saw. Most of the cast was forgettable. Vader stole the show in the short time he appeared & that was probably the best part of the film.

Not sure how I would rate this. I think I'm more excited to see Assassin's Creed next week.

Wife and I thought it was excellent.

I strongly dislike prequels of ANYTHING for the inherent issue of nothing being at stake for the characters. You watch those movies knowing the fate of the characters, what actions they will take, etc... the rest is just window dressing.

This, however, was different. This is filling in the gap of an important piece of the Star Wars puzzle. Told well, with new characters. What we know at the outset of the movie doesn't really impact the characters at all... which made the movie really intense.

This movie was a real Star WARS movie, and we loved it.

I very much hope Disney continues this formula. Telling stories we care about... tied to the main story in some important way, even with new characters. Rather than going to far reaches of the galaxy for stories not really connected to the story or characters we're already invested in. This movie started and, if you're a Star Wars fan, you knew immediately why you cared about what was happening. Despite all new characters. Nicely done, that.

Oh and Vader? Awesome. It wasn't his story but he was reestablised as the terrifying villain he was to many of us when we saw Episode IV as kids. I assume that was the intent and if so? Mission accomplished.

there were no Jedi in it. That's a 1st for a Star Wars film. I loved the droid but was a little let down overall. I was expecting Forest Whitaker to give this awe inspiring speech from the trailers I saw. Most of the cast was forgettable. Vader stole the show in the short time he appeared & that was probably the best part of the film.

Not sure how I would rate this. I think I'm more excited to see Assassin's Creed next week.

Didn't Vader hunt them down by this time?

Didn't Vader hunt them down by this time?

There were obviously some Jedi that survived. I was hoping we might see Anakin's padawan Ahsoka or something.

Saw it last night, loved it despite the annoying middle schoolers in the audience. I both understand and also do not understand critical statements of its slow start. I might be able to relate, but my perspective is that is what is called plot development. I really soaked up learning about the new characters, but again that's just my opinion. Plus the last half of the movie more than makes up for it. And that ending! Wow. I was dizzy for about an hour afterward.

Overall, I agree with a few here that it was a better film than Force Awakens (for several reasons). Though, I really enjoyed that flick too. It's just great to see these movies come along with more regularity, such a treat to be a fan today. It feels good to be excited about all these amazing films.

Saw it last night, loved it despite the annoying middle schoolers in the audience.

Haven't seen it yet but I plan to soon. The above is why I never liked watching movies in theaters. However, we discovered a dine-in theater with recliners and reserved seating in our area (first movie we watched there was The Avengers in 2012). The kids and teenagers in the audience are much better behaved so whenever we want to see a movie on the big screen, we go there.