• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars: Rogue One
1 1

624 posts in this topic

I think this is the essence of why ESB caught so many folks off guard and blew everyone away. Remember back then, no spoilers, no clue. As a kid at least, I never saw that ending coming. Meaning that Vader and the empire "won" with one of the greatest cinematic cliff hangers ever made in Boba taking off with Carb Han.

I read the novel version of ESB before it came out...that was a pretty big spoiler. :blush:

Episodev_empirestrikesback.jpg

Spoiler understatement. Did not even know this existed at that point in time before the movie release. Props to you. How did it impact your movie experience?

ROGUE ONE: A Star Wars Story Review: A Tremendous Film

For all that to happen going forward, Lucasfilm absolutely had to execute on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, their first effort in the expansion.

Luckily, they absolutely have executed. Rogue One doesn't just expand the Star Wars universe in an exciting way, it tells a singular, stand alone tale that still enriches the overall narrative of that universe.

This movie fought an uphill battle, and continues to, all the way up to release. With the immense popularity of Star Wars: The Force Awakens in 2015 (and carried over into this year), teaching the general public that this new movie takes place 35 years earlier and with a completely different cast was a difficult task.

At the same time, the personal relationships and individual characters are what made this movie shine. In war, you don't need to know every detail of a person's life to know whether you're willing to fight alongside them, to die for, or with them. In that aspect, the relationships here were 100% natural and realistic. There's some mistrust, there are some questionable decisions, and eventually they come around to figure out that this ragtag group must work together, or they're all screwed. It's that simple.

As much as the big set piece moments are a blast and memorable - and boy are they - the characters are what stuck with me. I felt more for individual characters in this film than probably any other Star Wars film.

Ultimately, Rogue One is definitely a movie for Star Wars fans first, and for general moviegoers second. Despite some responses to the film, it felt to me like a movie that general audiences - even those who don't know Star Wars at all - would enjoy. Sure, die-hard fans are going to better comprehend the in-references and jokes and a few of the major moments, but general fans will love the relationships, the major set piece moments (including possibly the coolest single space battle moment this side of the first Death Star exploding), as well as the weight of the film. The third act is probably the best single act of a Star Wars movie yet. You'll leave the movie thinking hard, breathless, and as Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy warned at the press junket, likely with a lot of tears.

If the main goal for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was to create something different in the franchise, bringing a true war movie to this world and establishing that there's more to it than the Skywalker family, consider that goal 100% achieved. While there are a few missteps and things that can be picked apart, ultimately, none of those things took away any level of enjoyment. This is a tremendous film, a great start to the standalone corner of the franchise, and a great Star Wars movie.

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5

:o

Review: ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY Gets Under The Skin In Ways Few Blockbusters Manage These Days

Director Gareth Edwards has gathered together a top notch cast here, and while you could argue that the likes of Jiang Wen (Baze) and Riz Ahmed (Bodhi) don't get quite as much to do as the others, they still more than make an impact. Felicity Jones is superb as Jyn Erso, an you'll have no problem believing that her team would risk it all to follow her into battle. Diego Luna offers terrific support as Cassian Andor, who brings more ruthlessness and shades or grey to the table than you might have expected. However, chances are it's going to be Donnie Yen as blind warrior Chirrut Imwe and Alan Tudyk's snarky droid K-2SO that resonate more than the leads, as each provide both the biggest laughs and the most emotional moments.

There are a few minor issues with the film, but most are only nitpicks and not really worth bringing up. That said, I do have a couple of sightly bigger problems, but they'd definitely count as spoilers so I'll hold off on discussing them until the movie is out.

There is a lot of action, but the set pieces never threaten to overshadow the characters, and are incredibly well realised. You've heard that this was more a gritty war movie than any of the previous instalments and that's true - but unlike most recent tentpole flicks, there are real stakes involved, and a sense of danger and tension pervades every battle scene. The last 15 minutes will ensure this film gets under the skin in ways very few blockbusters manage these days.

There are a few minor issues with the film, but most are only nitpicks and not really worth bringing up. That said, I do have a couple of sightly bigger problems, but they'd definitely count as spoilers so I'll hold off on discussing them until the movie is out.

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

I think this is the essence of why ESB caught so many folks off guard and blew everyone away. Remember back then, no spoilers, no clue. As a kid at least, I never saw that ending coming. Meaning that Vader and the empire "won" with one of the greatest cinematic cliff hangers ever made in Boba taking off with Carb Han.

I read the novel version of ESB before it came out...that was a pretty big spoiler. :blush:

Spoiler understatement. Did not even know this existed at that point in time before the movie release. Props to you. How did it impact your movie experience?

It was a long time ago, but I think it enhanced it. I distinctly remember reading it before the film was released, and when I just looked it up it looks like it came out roughly a month before the film did. I remember it making me tremendously excited to see what Yoda looked like. I also heard that he was going to be a muppet prior to release and was disappointed by that, but I really loved him once I saw the finished product.

Obviously it spoiled the big reveal with Luke and Vader, but eh, it was a surprise when I read it. I don't really remember but I bet I spoiled it for some kids at school. :cool: I would've been in 4th or 5th grade at the time.

A friend of mine has already seen it and had this to say.

It's dope that they showed the up morality of both the Rebels and the Empire. For a good portion of this movie it lives in a grey zone. It puts the war in Star Wars

The third act is incredible, those reshoot rumors now seem over the top in retrospect. It gets emotional heavy by the end.

This has one of the best Darth Vader moments of the series hand down.

This is probably the best looking Star Wars. Some of the imagery is beautiful.

Some of the cameos felt like fan service to be honest.

If I had to rank these so far it'd be:

4&5

R.O.

The embargo lifted and well over a hundred reviews appeared on Rotten Tomatoes fairly quickly. Current tally is 123 positive and 24 negative for 84% over a 7.5/10 quality score, which pretty much solidifies the critical response as it being a very good film but not as critically acclaimed as Force Awakens which was at 92% popularity with an 8.2/10 quality score. Metacritic's compiled quality-based reviews have it at 65/100 whereas Force Awakens garnered 81/100.

So it's good, just not blow-your-mind good. A lot of the responses suggest that it's dark and brooding whereas all of the Lucas films and the Abrams film were cinematically upbeat.

I just left an advanced screening. Absolutely epic and nostalgic. It was everything TFA was not.

Is the rumor true that there is a Darth Vader "moment" in this movie that is as good (i.e.

Vader picks up & dumps the Emperor to save Luke

or rivals anything previously in the original trilogy?

Is anyone going to blog, tweet, or scope in real time while waiting in line, etc.?

Waiting in line? Those days are over! Advance tickets, assigned seating and food delivered to your reclining chair is the way to go!

Is anyone going to blog, tweet, or scope in real time while waiting in line, etc.?

Waiting in line? Those days are over! Advance tickets, assigned seating and food delivered to your reclining chair is the way to go!

Very true and great point. I don't even know what the last movie was I saw at the theatre. You would laugh; its been a few years at least.