• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars: Rogue One
1 1

624 posts in this topic

Interesting how mixed responses are to the film. I thought it was the best thing since Empire, and that is saying a lot. Great War movie and I'm glad Disney didn't pull punches like I was worried they would.

I'm excited to see it again.

My opinion is that there hasn't been a good Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back.

I am seeing Rogue One this evening. After seeing The Force Awakens ( which I hated/ was just a remake ) I have very low expectations.

Interesting how mixed responses are to the film. I thought it was the best thing since Empire, and that is saying a lot. Great War movie and I'm glad Disney didn't pull punches like I was worried they would.

My opinion is that there hasn't been a good Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back.

I am seeing Rogue One this evening. After seeing The Force Awakens ( which I hated/ was just a remake ) I have very low expectations.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Jedi, it's just not as good as Empire, you can't really say it's not a good SW movie, can you?

Jim

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Jedi, it's just not as good as Empire, you can't really say it's not a good SW movie, can you?

Jim

Is an opinion. I disliked Return of the Jedi. I thought it was absolutely ludicrous that a rag tag bunch of midgets using spears and rocks can help defeat the Empire. It was cheesy to me.

is this a must see in 3D?

NO, there were only a couple times that you saw the 3D and it wasn't that great. 3D is purely a way to charge everyone more for a ticket. Honestly, if its a must to pay more, Id rather pay the $3 more and not have to wear those glasses when seeing it in IMAX.

Edited by kevhtx

3D makes movies worse in my opinion... even if I am in the minority.

I don't think you are. There have only been a handful of movies that benefited from 3D. Hollywood is just in love with the higher ticket price.

3D makes movies worse in my opinion... even if I am in the minority.

I don't think you are. There have only been a handful of movies that benefited from 3D. Hollywood is just in love with the higher ticket price.

They also over use 3D. Example: title lettering or credits naming who the executive producers are do not need to be in 3D with one line of text forward from the line below it.

NO, there were only a couple times that you saw the 3D and it wasn't that great. 3D is purely a way to charge everyone more for a ticket. Honestly, if its a must to pay more, Id rather pay the $3 more and not have to wear those glasses when seeing it in IMAX.

+1 I wear glasses myself & hate 3D. I saw Doctor Strange in IMAX & couldn't stand wearing those things, although I did think it was slightly more impressive in 3D than the 2D version I saw previously. For most films I think it actually detracts from the experience, Doctor Strange was the only time I felt it added anything.

3D depends on the movie.

Dr Strange was better in 3D by far. I just got a OLED 4K TV and I have been rewatching some 3D movies.

Star Wars: TFA is way better at home than at the theater which really did a poor job of 3D

This is a gritty dirty punch you in the face Star Wars movie. There is very little of the force, no Jedi, and no annoying side characters.

This is the middle of the war with the Rebellion losing. I enjoyed it. It kept me entertained the entire time. Now would I have like some of the SW stuff mentioned above sure I would have, but I understand why this movie didnt have it. And quite honestly it didnt need it.

They made this a stand alone movie and I thought they did an excellent job with. I particulaly really enjoyed the last 10 minutes of the film. It ties together the start of Star Wars and shows Vader at his peak. It was worth it for that.

Edited by Fastballspecial

They made this a stand along movie and I thought they did an excellent job with. I particulaly really enjoyed the last 10 minutes of the film. It ties together the start of Star Wars and shows Vader at his peak. It was worth it for that.

Yeah, who knew Prowse had that left in him. lol

This is a gritty dirty punch you in the face Star Wars movie. There is very little of the force, no Jedi, and no annoying side characters.

This is the middle of the war with the Rebellion losing. I enjoyed it. It kept me entertained the entire time. Now would I have like some of the SW stuff mentioned above sure I would have, but I understand why this movie didnt have it. And quite honestly it didnt need it.

They made this a stand along movie and I thought they did an excellent job with. I particulaly really enjoyed the last 10 minutes of the film. It ties together the start of Star Wars and shows Vader at his peak. It was worth it for that.

I thought this movie did more for Vader's mythology than the entirety of Episodes I-III. Solidified why people were right to avoid him when Episode IV rolls around.

I enjoyed Rogue One. I thought there were opportunities to make this a great movie instead of what I thought was very good, and I would have appreciated the tie-ins with the music and the rolling story at the beginning. People keep using "bleak." Sure, but this was the turning point for that. . .

I did miss one scene from the trailer.

All in all. . . I still asked for an X-wing for Christmas. A real one.

Interesting that during the scroll for ANH they reference the fact that the rebels are coming off their first victory against the Empire. I guess they were referring solely to the fact Leia escaped with the plans. Other than that, there was no rebel victory... thank you Vader!

Loved it. Rogue One is a completely different emotional theme than Force Awakens, and it should be. Rogue One begins a little slow, but by the end, i completely forgot about that. The last 5-10 minutes really felt like an emotional gut punch, and were incredibly well done. i went into this thinking i knew what would happen to most of the characters, and it still hit me hard.

I really don't see any of the cameos as fan service, except for the dudes from the cantina...THAT'S fan service - having those dudes be on a completely different planet days before their appearance on Tantooine in ANH, and they just happen to be there on Jeddah.

R2 and C3PO needed to be there, or else how would they have been on the ship with Leia 5 minutes after Rogue One is over? Leia NEEDED to be there. In ANH she has the plans that she just got from the rebels who stole them - Rogue One is a movie about stealing those plans. Tarkin NEEDED to be there. In ANH he is in command of the Death Star. So he needed to be in place there since this is the same timeline. The X-Wing pilots needed to be there too, since they are part of the rebel fleet at that time and this was an all out attack with the entire rebel fleet.

I will say this - this wasn't a film for casual SW fans. That seems like a specific decision that was made. It's definitely not for kids the same way all the saga films are, and I would imagine that it is confusing for someone who just watches the main films and doesn't watch the TV shows or read comics. It's a bold move - because that is definitely gonna hurt it in the box office compared to The Force Awakens or the Marvel movies. BUT I think it makes for a better film.

I think it will age well. This is the first time that comparisons to Empire Strike Back seem valid. ESB definitely didn't have as much mainstream appeal as ANH when it dropped. I remember as a little kid not liking it as much because it didn't end with the good guys "winning" or a big space battle like ANH. But by the time I was a teenage ESB was clearly my favorite.

just returned from a viewing of this movie.

While I didn't hate it I didn't love it either. my main issue is the characters in the film. They are all rather flat to me, I don't really feel any connection to any of them and because of this, I don't care what happens to them. I felt the film rushed into the action with all the laser blasts and ships flying and explosions rather than spend more time developing the characters. Make me care about the family relationship, instead stuff just happens and the film goes along at an action film pace. People do stuff because they need to, and then more people need to do more stuff. Ho hum.

The droid is the best character in the film.

There are great scenes, but in the end this film felt like it was several action scenes strung together.

The end is the best part, and I agree it was done well. Vader stole the show.

I am at 2/5

Yeah, who knew Prowse had that left in him. lol

Different guy in the suit this time... Can't think of his name but he's actually taller than Prowse yet I thought he looked smaller on the screen