• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
18 18

6,168 posts in this topic

fp26r.jpg

proud to post my second centaur purchase...choose this one for the clean bob wood cover, and the fact this it is the "first" centaur issue of this title, seemed like a nice one to get...going to work on picking up an amazing mystery funnies next...

rick

893whatthe.gifhail.gif

fp26r.jpg

proud to post my second centaur purchase...choose this one for the clean bob wood cover, and the fact this it is the "first" centaur issue of this title, seemed like a nice one to get...going to work on picking up an amazing mystery funnies next...

rick

893whatthe.gifhail.gif

Congratulations! 893applaud-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif If Centaurman's experience is any guide, it might take you more than a month to get the rest of the title.

proud to post my second centaur purchase...rick

news.gifnews.gif

"And reports indicate that Centaur fever is spreading across the nation at an almost epidemic pace. Dealers are at a loss to explain why their stock is moving so quickly, and they are also at a loss on how to replace books that are being sold.

Teams of Golden Age experts have been called in to assess the situation, and are recommending that collectors NOT turn on their computers and even more importantly, do NOT accept parcels in the mail unless absolutely certain that it does not contain a Centaur comic book.

Rumors that the CDC (Comic Dependency Council) is about to proclaim that buying Centaurs is "compulsively addictive" behavior, and that Centaur collectors have been displaying a tendency to transform into dancing bananas, have yet to be confirmed.

Finally, the FBI (Funny Book Investigators) will shortly be holding a press conference that will reportedly name Jon Berk, Win Murray, and Steve Carey at the top of their Most Wanted list for individuals known for spreading Centaur fever. The public at large will be advised to use extreme caution when contacting these men at any time where comic books are known to be present or discussed.

That's our report live from the CGC Board - back to you, Bob...."

fp26r.jpg

rick

cloud9.gifhail.gif

893whatthe.gifhail.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif If Centaurman's experience is any guide, it might take you more than a month to get the rest of the title.

hello all...

tis true, after seeing Centaurman's and SACentaurs and J. Berk's, and Ryan's etc (don't mean to leave anyone out) wonderful books, I was taken in....however, unlike the DC and Timely runs that I tend to "jump" quickly and spend freely to complete, this publisher will be an acquired taste for me, and I am sure I will spend years buying various copies that appeal to me smile.gif

thanks

rick

893whatthe.gifhail.gif

hello all...

tis true, after seeing Centaurman's and SACentaurs and J. Berk's, and Ryan's etc (don't mean to leave anyone out) wonderful books, I was taken in....however, unlike the DC and Timely runs that I tend to "jump" quickly and spend freely to complete, this publisher will be an acquired taste for me, and I am sure I will spend years buying various copies that appeal to me smile.gif

thanks

rick

Hi Rick,

Nice pick up!! I'm not drawn to the Centaur humor covers all that much, but this one is quite attractive (the grade doesn't hurt either!!) thumbsup2.gif I need to get over by funny cover stigma, as I now know there are lots of nice goodies inside.

The beauty of Centaurs is that even if you had the cash to drop, they are just hard to find (unlike Timely's and DC's)!! Its an ongoing hunt, and you have to be Johnny on the spot. It also helps when the board members give you the heads up when they become available... rather than being competitive, I find the folks on the boards VERY helpful and ready to share info. It has made my searching that much more enjoyable.

Now if one of these tight fisted SOB's will slacken their grip on an AMF 2/5, my life will be complete! cloud9.gifpoke2.gif

hello all...

I really like the DC Funny Stuff title, so that is one of the reasons I went after a Funny Pages Centaur ...next, just for you, I will try to get a nice AMF (but if I find a #7, I will alert you!)

rick

Now if one of these tight fisted SOB's will slacken their grip on an AMF 2/5, my life will be complete! cloud9.gifpoke2.gif

Hey! I resemble that remark! 27_laughing.gif

What a book AMF 2/5 is (the first grey tone in comics?).

I need a Centaur fix, bad...

STEVE

fp26r.jpg

rick

Another book brought to you by Metropolis Comics....yet given no credit.

S

Hey! I resemble that remark! 27_laughing.gif

What a book AMF 2/5 is (the first grey tone in comics?).

I need a Centaur fix, bad...

STEVE

Well, I didn't want to mention any names but...

And speaking of Centaur fixes, Steve, if you ever want to break out your magic camera and take a pic of the Skyrocket Steele splash in the AMF 2/5, I won't be opposed!

I need a taste of that book!!! tongue.gif

I am offering a copy of Amazing Mystery Funnies v2#5. The grade is VG with cream/ow pages. The book is unrestored and has a minor spine roll. The book is priced at $1200. The first person was PM's me gets it. To be clear, a PM requesting a scan does not count.

S

Alright, who poached that book, and what do I have to offer tham to wrestle it away??

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I am offering a copy of Amazing Mystery Funnies v2#5. The grade is VG with cream/ow pages. The book is unrestored and has a minor spine roll. The book is priced at $1200. The first person was PM's me gets it. To be clear, a PM requesting a scan does not count.

S

Alright, who poached that book, and what do I have to offer tham to wrestle it away??

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

It sat unsold for 10 minutes before someone claimed it.

S

S

I think we need to invalidate this sale since it wasn't done in the marketplace.

Oh, come on. SOMEone had to say it.

S

I think we need to invalidate this sale since it wasn't done in the marketplace.

Well, if this is someone's DUPLICATE, please PM me.

I feel ill...

S

I wasn't sure what was going to happen first. The book selling or someone telling me to move it to the marketplace.

S

Hey Win,

I'm going through my copy of the Mile High Comics catalog which listed the Church books. You are correct; the issues in the middle of the run are lower grades than the beginning & end (with a few exceptions). The catalog is in very small print & difficult to read, but here are the original asking prices & grades:

Vol 1, 8 nm...........$ 45

9 nm...........$ 45

10 nm+.........$ 50

11 nm+.........$ 50

Vol 2, 1 fine..........$ 25

2 vg............$ 16

3 nm...........$ 35

4 fine..........$ 24

5 fine..........$ 24

6 fine..........$ 24

7 fine..........$ 30

8 vg............$ 16

9 fine..........$ 24

10 vg............$ 16

11 nm..........$ 35

12 fine..........$ 24

Vol 3, 1 fine.........$ 24

2 fine..........$ 24

5 nm..........$ 35

I sure hope you didn't pay too much more than this....... poke2.gif

Actually, I didn't pay the listed prices becuause I got a quantity discount.

Steve

Plus you probably got the elementary school student discount that Chuck no longer offers. Another big savings right there.

Hey Win,

I'm going through my copy of the Mile High Comics catalog which listed the Church books. You are correct; the issues in the middle of the run are lower grades than the beginning & end (with a few exceptions). The catalog is in very small print & difficult to read, but here are the original asking prices & grades:

9 nm...........$ 45

10 nm+.........$ 50

11 nm+.........$ 50

2 vg............$ 16

3 nm...........$ 35

4 fine..........$ 24

5 fine..........$ 24

6 fine..........$ 24

7 fine..........$ 30

8 vg............$ 16

9 fine..........$ 24

10 vg............$ 16

11 nm..........$ 35

12 fine..........$ 24

2 fine..........$ 24

5 nm..........$ 35

Steve

Plus you probably got the elementary school student discount that Chuck no longer offers. Another big savings right there.

Plus I bought them with time payments. That reminds me! I've got to pay Chuck for them next week.

S

Hey Win,

9 nm...........$ 45

10 nm+.........$ 50

11 nm+.........$ 50

2 vg............$ 16

3 nm...........$ 35

4 fine..........$ 24

5 fine..........$ 24

6 fine..........$ 24

7 fine..........$ 30

8 vg............$ 16

9 fine..........$ 24

10 vg............$ 16

11 nm..........$ 35

12 fine..........$ 24

2 fine..........$ 24

5 nm..........$ 35

Steve

Plus I bought them with time payments. That reminds me! I've got to pay Chuck for them next week.

S

That reminds me - I'm way overdue on my Pop Hollinger subscription payments. Does anyone have a quarter I could borrow?