• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Nice button.

The fact that it is a "Circulation Club" button seems unusual. Would that have been something given to people who work for a distributor or at a newsstand/drugstore as opposed to a kid who was a reader of the comic?

Probably a retailer that sold the books or a distributor. I might be wrong but don't have any Centaurs that have it mentioned inside. Possibly someone like Gator who has a lot or most of them could actually look inside to confirm.

Thanks

rick, what is your opinion of Obadiah Oldbuck and would you invest in a copy?

Old age and pending dementia must be catching up to me. lol

Who's the boardie that use to post about this book all the time and whatever happened to him? hm

Probably a retailer that sold the books or a distributor. I might be wrong but don't have any Centaurs that have it mentioned inside. Possibly someone like Gator who has a lot or most of them could actually look inside to confirm.

Thanks

Here's the catalog description:

1.25" dia. pinback button issued to retailer's to promote Centaur titles in 1938. "Circulation Club" text at center is flanked by the titles of four comics published by Centaur - "Star Comics, Funny Pages, Funny Picture Stories" and "Star Ranger." Complete w/backpaper from lesser known Offset Gravure Corporation of New York City. Glossy and NM. Very rare and first we've seen in our 49 years.

Wow, Tony I'll say!!!, I've never seen one of those. Too bad it doesn't picture a character or two but very cool none the less. If you ever want to part with it... I only know of one "official" Centaur club pin. I'm thinking of maybe doing a subset in my "junk" thread on obscure comic book clubs for you investors who can't turn your pages. Any interest?

Love to see more pins. Unless I'm forgetting something, I think this one constitutes my whole comic book pin collection.

Old age and pending dementia must be catching up to me. lol

Who's the boardie that use to post about this book all the time and whatever happened to him? hm

(apologies, this should have been in the Ask Gator thread not the Centaur thread, my bad)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9456836&fpart=3

Thanks to a good deal with a fellow board member. I will be spending my weekend with this book:

c1cd014d-ad94-4039-86bf-a78d3a692f9f_zps2emp9k3f.jpg

Classic book glad to see the thread come alive again!

And then there was 1...

That's right. Star comics 2/4 was one of the last 2 I needed

Big thanks to Steve (sacentaur) for not only selling this gem to me , but at an extremely favorable price. Sdcc is a success no matter what happens from here!

Last one needed...star ranger funnies 2/1 :wishluck:

image_zpsafp3qoko.jpeg