• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Not surprised that on Heritage last night the AMF 3 went for about four times unrestored guide, despite the heavy resto. Such a great cover and such a tough book. Auction link

I was pretty shocked by the ending price.

Was surprising to me too, but I am still filled with regret for not sticking in one more bid....

Judging by prices (and by some of the offers I have gotten for mine) they aren't getting cheaper anytime soon. I wanted to collect the first 10 issues in unrestored 5.0 or better, but now I will have to contend with crazy price points on top of rarity. Looking kind of impossible at this point.

Not surprised that on Heritage last night the AMF 3 went for about four times unrestored guide, despite the heavy resto. Such a great cover and such a tough book. Auction link

Honestly, I think in one of their Signature auctions it would have gone for significantly more. So tough to find a copy.

The census is about the same for all of the early issues (prior to #2.7), outside of #1 and #2.5. They are all insanely hard to find. I was just a little surprised to see an EP copy bring a price in line with what I paid for similar issues in unrestored shape. My unrestored VF range 1.3 (#4), 2.3, 2.4 were all in that price range, give or take a thousand or so.

I guess there is a floor in place, where virtually any copy goes for a certain amount. The grade and resto don't matter nearly as much on books like this as they do on more common items.

As an owner of several rare Centaurs, I am happy to see these prices (although those results still don't make me want to sell yet!).

As a collector (and I lean more in this direction), I am disheartened by the insane prices I see in golden age material lately. I had hopes that one day I'd be able to fill in some gaps, or own some issues I'd never owned before. But I think those days are over. I doubt the fever will wear off... I've never seen a significant dip on GA prices in all my 30+ collecting years... prices of that great 1938 to 1942 material just keep climbing.

Anyone else getting squeezed out of a once-enjoyable hobby?

Was surprising to me too, but I am still filled with regret for not sticking in one more bid....

I know the feeling: "Man, these prices are insane ... and why didn't I bid higher?" :D

Honestly, I think in one of their Signature auctions it would have gone for significantly more. So tough to find a copy.

The census is about the same for all of the early issues (prior to #2.7), outside of #1 and #2.5. They are all insanely hard to find. I was just a little surprised to see an EP copy bring a price in line with what I paid for similar issues in unrestored shape. My unrestored VF range 1.3 (#4), 2.3, 2.4 were all in that price range, give or take a thousand or so.

I guess there is a floor in place, where virtually any copy goes for a certain amount. The grade and resto don't matter nearly as much on books like this as they do on more common items.

As an owner of several rare Centaurs, I am happy to see these prices (although those results still don't make me want to sell yet!).

As a collector (and I lean more in this direction), I am disheartened by the insane prices I see in golden age material lately. I had hopes that one day I'd be able to fill in some gaps, or own some issues I'd never owned before. But I think those days are over. I doubt the fever will wear off... I've never seen a significant dip on GA prices in all my 30+ collecting years... prices of that great 1938 to 1942 material just keep climbing.

Anyone else getting squeezed out of a once-enjoyable hobby?

I've been squeezed out of hundreds of comics I would like to have owned. It will be hard to squeeze me out of the hobby because there are plenty of other comics I don't yet own that are still within my price range.

Yeah, I was squeezed out of the high end books a long time ago, but there are still many cool affordable books, and if you are a persistent hunter you can still turn up 'out-of-reach' issues at a bargain price every now and then.

There are definitely plenty of nice books still affordable, but I guess I was referring to those tough Centaur, Fox, Ace, Novelty Press, etc. second tier publishers (and now the Canadian Whites) who used to get less attention. Try picking up a pre-1941 Fox book at bargain prices now! So, SPECIFICALLY, I've been squeezed out of my collecting focus during the last three or four years.

On the plus side, there are still other related markets that are affordable, like pulps, newspaper comics, big little books and foreign GA...

I've been squeezed pretty tight too. I pretty much gave up on Timelys long ago. Most of those are easier to find than the other 2nd tier books I switched to. People have finally discovered them now too. I do get a low grader every once in a while but have had to really switch my collecting focus as well.

I've also been priced out . I'm happy with what I have though. The Centaurs and Fox books I collected some years before prices went crazy. I picked up Amazing Mystery Funnies # 1, #2, #3 Vol.2/5 vol. 2/6 Amazing Man # 22 , Funny Picture Stories #1, Fantastic Comics # 3, Mystery Men # 3 # 4 #8 #10 assorted Wonderworlds, # 3 # 7 #8 etc. Many more, looking back they were expensive then, but now they are threw the roof!! Nowadays , I'm going after 1950's Atlas, DC Sci Fi, Strange Adventures , Mystery in Space.etc. I'm still collecting Golden Age, I just picked up this year Green Lantern # 5, #11. There is always something to collect . It never ends. That's what is great about this hobby. Sometimes while I'm going after that next chase,I have to stop and smell the roses. And appreciate what I have. :cloud9:

I've also been priced out . I'm happy with what I have though. The Centaurs and Fox books I collected some years before prices went crazy. I picked up Amazing Mystery Funnies # 1, #2, #3 Vol.2/5 vol. 2/6 Amazing Man # 22 , Funny Picture Stories #1, Fantastic Comics # 3, Mystery Men # 3 # 4 #8 #10 assorted Wonderworlds, # 3 # 7 #8 etc. Many more, looking back they were expensive then, but now they are threw the roof!! Nowadays , I'm going after 1950's Atlas, DC Sci Fi, Strange Adventures , Mystery in Space.etc. I'm still collecting Golden Age, I just picked up this year Green Lantern # 5, #11. There is always something to collect . It never ends. That's what is great about this hobby. Sometimes while I'm going after that next chase,I have to stop and smell the roses. And appreciate what I have. :cloud9:

VERY well said. And great list too!

The promo that you have, is that the book Mark Wilson said in a article in CBM estimated to be one copy? Unless i'm getting it confused with another book. I remember something along those lines. Is it truly rare, I've never seen one myself.

The promo that you have, is that the book Mark Wilson said in a article in CBM estimated to be one copy? Unless i'm getting it confused with another book. I remember something along those lines. Is it truly rare, I've never seen one myself.
i believe there are a couple of known copies (this and one other have been confirmed). Maybe more , maybe not (shrug)