• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Centaurs are HOT!!!

Centaurs are also (in my opinion) way UNDERPRICED in Overstreet!!!! How can he have NM- (9.2) copies of (a book I've been looking for, and on a few of my want lists) Amazing Mystery Funnies V2 N4 for $1100.00. If Overstreet is NOT underpriced why does Metro have a copy of AMF V2 N10 (a book Overstreet lists at the same price $1100.00 NM-) with the Notation, CALL US for a quote. I suppose they want more than $225.00 for their FN- (5.5) copy.

Overstreet is WAY off on Centaurs. It's extremely hard to find these books at Overstreet prices (in the grade & price he suggests). I believe it's because that some of these books are so rare and their resale stats in the marketplace don't reflect Current prices as perhaps Timeley's for instance, which are bought & sold piecemill like Old Style Beer at a Cubs game. So the updates on Centaur pricing are way off. However with the Computer age this shouldn't be the case. Maybe he's a little afraid to update Centaurs too much as it makes the Price guide seem inaccurate concerning these books, and also that he'd have to update quite a few more Golden Age as well (some Fox titles for example).

I totally agree BO (maybe BlindOwl is more flattering! lol )!

I consult the guide before buying or bidding on Centaurs, but I set my buying price according to how bad I want the particular book. While there are some issues that seem common, and trade at guide prices, there are definitely books like AMAN 22 , KDF 20, or AMF 2/5 that seldom come up for sale, and disappear immediately!

There is a weird charm about these books that is contagious...

Did anyone else end up winning any Centaurs in the last few Heritage auctions?

BlindOwl, I haven't even got ONE copy of AMF 2/4 !! Have never seen one offered for sale. Sorry I can't help you.

Those AMF's are a :censored: to find. When my latest AMF arrives from Heritage, I'll post a group shot of my AMF run to date.

I used to own the Church copy of AMF 2/4 - bought it from Redbeard in the old days. The colors on that cover were blinding. Just blinding.

AMF 2/4 is rare, almost as rare as the AMF 1/4 - CentaurMan can update us on his scarcity index if he gets a chance.

Centaurs are HOT!!!

Centaurs are also (in my opinion) way UNDERPRICED in Overstreet!!!! How can he have NM- (9.2) copies of (a book I've been looking for, and on a few of my want lists) Amazing Mystery Funnies V2 N4 for $1100.00. If Overstreet is NOT underpriced why does Metro have a copy of AMF V2 N10 (a book Overstreet lists at the same price $1100.00 NM-) with the Notation, CALL US for a quote. I suppose they want more than $225.00 for their FN- (5.5) copy.

Overstreet is WAY off on Centaurs. It's extremely hard to find these books at Overstreet prices (in the grade & price he suggests). I believe it's because that some of these books are so rare and their resale stats in the marketplace don't reflect Current prices as perhaps Timeley's for instance, which are bought & sold piecemill like Old Style Beer at a Cubs game. So the updates on Centaur pricing are way off. However with the Computer age this shouldn't be the case. Maybe he's a little afraid to update Centaurs too much as it makes the Price guide seem inaccurate concerning these books, and also that he'd have to update quite a few more Golden Age as well (some Fox titles for example).

Guys--I have been collecting these books since the mid-80s and the prices -except for maybe one year- barely go up. These books are known to a smaller % of the general GA population who focus on DC, Timely etc. "They just do not get respect!) The other "problem" is that the books are generally rare and dissuade the collector who looks for the quick fix. What you see has been the past for Centaurs- and frankly will be the future. Forget that these are pre-Timelys (that's how i got into them), forget the wonderful art, forget that this is one of the first publishers with original art, forget that their artists are a "who's who" of GA art greats.....it just don't got no big time SUPERHERO---and because like Fox they went under just as WW2 started, they did not have the timing to do the great war covers that drove sales ........jb

I would think that the fact that Centaurs get no respect, would be a blessing for collectors, since it would keep the prices low. When I started collecting mlj's again, back in 1997, one of the appeals was the lower prices and of course, the fact that I loved Archie as a kid. That, along with some good, although hit and miss stories and cool covers, made it a perfect fit for me. The whole focus on comics as investments and all that go along with that ( market manipulation,slabbing,Snake -oil salesmen, pressing and resubmission,non-disclosure of restoration, overhyping of substandard books,dealer/collectors as cult figures) is one of the things that takes the joy out of collecting and keeps people like me from buying more books. Like in the goldrush, the people who actually blazed the trails and worked their butts off finding the gold, stood below all the secondary industries that sprung up around them....sucking up the money and the glory, but doing very little of the work.

Having stood up on my soapbox, I must say that threads like this one, that appear to have a real passion for the comics, along with the expertise of people like JB and the contagious enthusiasm of collectors like Sacentaur, are a ton of fun to read. Some of my favorite covers are in this thread...some amazing images, one has to wonder how the stories were and how some of these books were recieved when they first appeared on the news stands. I would also have to assume that a lot of these books, with now iconic cover images, probably weren't collected much until the Gerbers came out and weren't saved as much as the DC and Timely books. It's hard to imagine a finer cover than that Amazing Man 22...what an incredible image. Anyone ever see the original art for that, or is it lost?

There's a world of knowledge & wisdom in this forum. I for one LOVE It!!! It's great to hear from collectors who have been around the block a few times and learn something new. Thanks to all!!!,

So what did ever happen to some of the original art concerning Centaurs? In the collecting community or gone forever?

hello all...

I went "in search" of centaurs at the chicago con...had I of been inclined (reading between the lines, if I had any money), I could have picked up 47 diff books from the publisher...as it was, I managed only an Aman #8 and a KDF, v2/#3....there was a sweet kdf v2/#7 there, but I couldn't muster the 4x guide price (3x guide after negotiations, and I still passed, but know where it is!)...many Stars and Stripes, I saw 2 diff copies of Wham 1, several Science and Movie bits and pieces, and lots of low grade AMFs, Funny pages and Amans....but, I think that the prices being paid out there are indicative that the guide is "irrelevant" when it comes to collecting Centaurs...having seen Win's entire (OMG!) collection of Centaurs, I can say that Gustavson, Biro, Ryan, etc etc were, as JB said, the forerunners of the really good GA work....while I will likely never be able to complete the publisher, as JB and Win have done or are very close to doing, it will be one heck of a ride!

gator

Edited by Detective27Kid

...there was a sweet kdf v2/#7 there, but I couldn't muster the 4x guide price (3x guide after negotiations, and I still passed, but know where it is!)...

KDF 2/7 (first Masked Marvel)...really tough book (especially in grade).

I picked up this copy from Metro years ago. Pretty much agreed with the grade (VF+, bone white pages) at the time, but unfortunately later discovered that some slight professional restoration went undisclosed.

Still, even when I purged my collection of similar books that held a stigma for me, I just couldn't let this one go.

100_0891.jpg

Not quite in the same league as an A-Man 22 or AMF 2/5, but rick if you get a chance to pick up a copy ...GO FOR IT!!

hello all...

I went "in search" of centaurs at the chicago con...had I of been inclined (reading between the lines, if I had any money), I could have picked up 47 diff books from the publisher...as it was, I managed only an Aman #8 and a KDF, v2/#3....there was a sweet kdf v2/#7 there, but I couldn't muster the 4x guide price (3x guide after negotiations, and I still passed, but know where it is!)...many Stars and Stripes, I saw 2 diff copies of Wham 1, several Science and Movie bits and pieces, and lots of low grade AMFs, Funny pages and Amans....but, I think that the prices being paid out there are indicative that the guide is "irrelevant" when it comes to collecting Centaurs...having seen Win's entire (OMG!) collection of Centaurs, I can say that Gustavson, Biro, Ryan, etc etc were, as JB said, the forerunners of the really good GA work....while I will likely never be able to complete the publisher, as JB and Win have done or are very close to doing, it will be one heck of a ride!

gator

Hey Rick,

I am JEALOUS you got to see the Win Stash!!! I need to make the pilgrimage... maybe next year! :headbang:

Looking forward to seeing your two Centaur finds...

hello all...

gator

Hey Rick,

I am JEALOUS you got to see the Win Stash!!! I need to make the pilgrimage... maybe next year! :headbang:

Looking forward to seeing your two Centaur finds...

I actually flew in a day early, just in hopes of getting to do, just what I did...in my "excitement", I had forgotten to coordinate with Win, and low and behold, he made the time for me last minute (just worked out perfect), and made my trip even better...wait till I post some group shots (pending Win's approval, of course!)

rick

hello all...

gator

Congrats on the Aman #8 Rick! (thumbs u

hello all...

here is just a little "taste"...I am only posting this shot now, because Win gave me the thumbs up on it when I took it (I don't know about you all, but I think I counted 4 Mile Highs!) :

kdf.jpg

did I mention it was comic book heaven ?, especially for a young, aspiring Centaur collector, such as myself!

once I get the (thumbs u from Win, will post more

thanks

gator

I know the V1/9 and V1/10 are the Mile High...I think there are 2 others! (so many books, my brain was on overload)....

my goal, right now, is to complete AMan and KDF...so, to see the entire run in front of me...wow!

gator