• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Thanks for the encouragement. Your Centaur collection is stunning in both breadth and quality, and while quite a few of my books are beaters, it will be fun to at least have the complete set.

And although it's true that the internet has made my task much easier than yours was, look on the bright side: Centaurs were ethereal myths to many of us, pre-web, and now there are a dozen or so people actively searching out these books, driving up demand (and prices). Given that your collection is totally done, watching the books finally get some of the respect they deserve amongst all of these new Centaur aficionados has got to be satisfying.

I bought the first tranche of my collection (around 80 books) from Tim Cottrill at Bookery-Fantasy, and he seemed pretty tired of waiting for the "Centaur renaissance" to arrive. I don't know if it's here yet, but the books are certainly more popular now than they were even 5 years ago and the internet has had a huge hand it making it so.

You will never see the renaissance because most GA people go for the more well known stuff. B You gotta be a 'survivor' in the hobby to get where you are now. A lot of education and learning curves....

Actually the way i got into Centaurs was simple. I was big into collecting Timelys and learned of Jacquet and the Funnies Inc artists who drew for Timely. I learned they had worked churning out books before that, for a company named ---- Centaur.....

I'm kinda of hoping we don't see a Renaissance, because if we do (see a Renaissance) I'll never be able to pick up these fabulous books.

It's already difficult now to try and obtain these issues. I don't believe there are enough copies to go around as it is now!!!

Plus imagine the cost increases associated with a "Renaissance".

As mentioned, one of the good things about Centaurs is that they are not as expensive as Timely's or DC's and as Win mentioned they are quite a challenge for the comic collector just to find these books!!!

It is a gratifying feeling to pick up a "new" Centaur for your collection!!! Especially those issues that from the more "scarce" issues!!!!

Just my opinions!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. Your Centaur collection is stunning in both breadth and quality, and while quite a few of my books are beaters, it will be fun to at least have the complete set.

And although it's true that the internet has made my task much easier than yours was, look on the bright side: Centaurs were ethereal myths to many of us, pre-web, and now there are a dozen or so people actively searching out these books, driving up demand (and prices). Given that your collection is totally done, watching the books finally get some of the respect they deserve amongst all of these new Centaur aficionados has got to be satisfying.

I bought the first tranche of my collection (around 80 books) from Tim Cottrill at Bookery-Fantasy, and he seemed pretty tired of waiting for the "Centaur renaissance" to arrive. I don't know if it's here yet, but the books are certainly more popular now than they were even 5 years ago and the internet has had a huge hand it making it so.

You will never see the renaissance because most GA people go for the more well known stuff. B You gotta be a 'survivor' in the hobby to get where you are now. A lot of education and learning curves....

Actually the way i got into Centaurs was simple. I was big into collecting Timelys and learned of Jacquet and the Funnies Inc artists who drew for Timely. I learned they had worked churning out books before that, for a company named ---- Centaur.....

I was looking for Wolverton's Space Patrol.

Another Church duo: FP 2/8 and FP 2/12 (3rd app. The Arrow)

100_2740.jpg

Wow! Beautiful! (worship)

do you and Win have Keen Komics 1 yet?

I do have one of those. It's the only one I've ever seen in person.

Well, now we know there are two Keen Komics 1. Tough-Tough book.

jon

It took a while for this exchange to sink in with me. In a sense, while the GCD is a boon for collectors, it also warps my sense of availability. I have seen this cover many times now over at the GCD and this exposure made it seem to me as "yet another book." Hearing Centaur completists mention that they've never seen another copy and coming up with a short census of 2 known copies is quite striking. All this to add once again my thanks to Jon and Win (and Steve and ...) for sharing their collections with us :applause: :applause:

All this to add once again my thanks to Jon and Win (and Steve and ...) for sharing their collections with us :applause: :applause:

You're welcome, Michael - I think Win, Jon, and I are cut from the same cloth in at least one respect...our passion for the hobby, and sharing that passion with others, brings great joy.

Other collectors hoard and file away their books which is certainly right - to each his own. (thumbs u

Another Church pair: FP 3/1 (4th Arrow, prototype Bruce Wayne story by Bob Kane) and FP 3/4:

100_2742.jpg

I GOTTA see these sooner than later!!! Lunch on me? :wishluck:

Thanks for posting all these... its been a treat seeing these amazing, rare comics... esp. all the Mile Highs!!! WOW!!

:o Still more?! How many Church copies are there in this collection you bought?

Enough :acclaim:

Luckily they're just second hand Church copies or I'd be jealous. :whistle:

Okay. I'm lying. :sorry:

do you and Win have Keen Komics 1 yet?

I do have one of those. It's the only one I've ever seen in person.

Well, now we know there are two Keen Komics 1. Tough-Tough book.

jon

It took a while for this exchange to sink in with me. In a sense, while the GCD is a boon for collectors, it also warps my sense of availability. I have seen this cover many times now over at the GCD and this exposure made it seem to me as "yet another book." Hearing Centaur completists mention that they've never seen another copy and coming up with a short census of 2 known copies is quite striking. All this to add once again my thanks to Jon and Win (and Steve and ...) for sharing their collections with us :applause: :applause:

FYI the Keen Komics 1 on the GCD is my copy (larson)- which reflects the scarcity.....jb