• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centaur Comics
19 19

6,168 posts in this topic

Some guys have all the luck

Some guys have all the pain

Some guys get all the breaks

Some guys do nothing but complain

Robert Palmer, RIP...

:makepoint: rod stewart, but close lol

I like the Robert Palmer version better!! :makepoint:

Judging by the plethora of PM's I'm receiving, I know you guys are enjoying the show.

Funny Pages 8 (Church), 10 (Church), and a sweet 11:

100_2714.jpg

Not only tough, tough Centaurs but Church copies! :o Wow! (worship)

3/4 has such a cool cover. Great colors and I love the clear banner...the only time Funny Pages did that. All the rest of the issues have a color block behind the title.

I had never noticed that before, Andy - good obs!

Beautiful set of books. We could use a close up of the 3/4. :wishluck:

Sure adam, here you go (and if anyone has other special requests, please let me know now so I can shoot 'em before I vault the books tomorrow - thnx).

This particular book is so rich...

100_2717.jpg

Thanks, Steve. That is such an unusual (but interesting) illustrative technique for a comic cover.

3/4 has such a cool cover. Great colors and I love the clear banner...the only time Funny Pages did that. All the rest of the issues have a color block behind the title.

I had never noticed that before, Andy - good obs!

Beautiful set of books. We could use a close up of the 3/4. :wishluck:

Sure adam, here you go (and if anyone has other special requests, please let me know now so I can shoot 'em before I vault the books tomorrow - thnx).

This particular book is so rich...

100_2717.jpg

I agree that is a beautiful looking cover!!! :headbang:

I wouldn't mind seeing FPS 2/10 in a larger scan before you vault them!!! :wishluck:

:I wouldn't mind seeing FPS 2/10 in a larger scan before you vault them!!! :wishluck:

Will do, BO - will get to it shortly.

Let's keep things rolling with Star Ranger 2/2 (Larson) and Western Picture Stories 4 (not sure about this one, it has a pencil and pen 78 on the cover...?):

100_2728.jpg

Here you go, Blind Owl...but first...

A Special Note about these books: the Chuch copies you are viewing are all so-called "second hand Mile Highs". They were purchased directly from Mile High Chuck back in the old days.

I recall the Mile High remainder box that Chuck had out for sale at San Diego, as I purchased some of the books myself at the time (some of my early GA purchases, in fact).

All exhibit a defect or two (light creasing, small splits, a bit of spine wear) etc., that bring their technical assessment down to mid-grade, so they are not your typical killer Church copies that we perceive.

Still, I think they are simply beautiful and it only highights to me just how rare and scarce these books are, even to just find them let alone in condition.

100_2732.jpg

this thread is like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for me... over the past few years, my focus has shifted (surprise, surprise, surprise) towards Centaurs....

Everett, Gustavson (my personal fav), Biro, Ryan, Mills, etc, etc....all precursory and captive in their own respects.... I can't add anything that JB or Win or STEVE or Joe or Ryan, etc, etc haven't already, but man oh man, I am thankful that more folks have not "discovered" the joy and challenge in centaur collecting (whew)

And this is one of my favorites in the whole batch - pure Ryan :cloud9:

Church copy:

100_2725.jpg

(worship)

Holy Smokes!!! Good Morning World!!! :o

Man, you are posting some incredible books here!!!

Being in the right place at the right time to pick up books like this!!!

Love the cover on this one immensely!!! :headbang:

Here you go, Blind Owl...but first...

A Special Note about these books: the Chuch copies you are viewing are all so-called "second hand Mile Highs". They were purchased directly from Mile High Chuck back in the old days.

I recall the Mile High remainder box that Chuck had out for sale at San Diego, as I purchased some of the books myself at the time (some of my early GA purchases, in fact).

All exhibit a defect or two (light creasing, small splits, a bit of spine wear) etc., that bring their technical assessment down to mid-grade, so they are not your typical killer Church copies that we perceive.

Still, I think they are simply beautiful and it only highights to me just how rare and scarce these books are, even to just find them let alone in condition.

100_2732.jpg

Thanks Steve for posting!!! :applause:

I don't think you need to apologise at all for any technical defects on any of these books!!! :cloud9:

I'd say they are still among the best copies available.I know that this copy of FPS is not easy to find ANYWHERE, so just having a copy (any copy) I think would be just fine with me!!!

If these books are flawed, give me a large comic box full please!!!

Everett, Gustavson (my personal fav), Biro, Ryan, Mills, etc, etc....all precursory and captive in their own respects....

rick hits the nail on the head here. :golfclap:

And let's not forget Fred Guardineer - I was reading some of the early Star Comics last night, and they are just loaded with material from him. I tend to focus on the amazing work he rendered on the Dan Hastings strip, but wow...he did so much more.

Guardineer was indeed as prolific as he was talented.

Here are samples from Star Comics 9 (January, 1938):

100_2747.jpg