• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,641 posts in this topic

Not the highest grade copy, but as our Boston friends would say, finding this book in grade is "wicked-hahd." Origin of Sunboy, 9th Legion appearance. And, if HG isn't a concern, I can post all day long here....just let me know.

adventure290.jpg

Me likey too!

The art and story in both of them is so much fun to read, and a complete change in pace, from say, 100 Bullets!

2 funny animals in one evening. Thanks. I love those simple and effective covers. Blinding yellow on this one. Great stuff.

I think Superman's bride is hotter:

sm120.jpg

Wow, Silver!! That's a great looking book! Looks like Superman's marrying "Super Barbie"!!!

Hey, BB, I'm drooling over those MIS books!!! Have you sent any to CGC? cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

as is the case with most of my OO collection, the 10 cent books don't quite "cut-the-mustard" for CGC submission. i have a half dozen from 1962-1964 down there now, which should garner some nice high grades...........and my #75 (JLA cross-over issue - a big deal back then at DC) graded out as a 9.2.

i've got hundreds of DC 10 centers that i paid 10 cents for off the racks, but they are mostly mid-grade books.............(but i love 'em anyway......... grin.gif)

Post what you like. The thread is open to all. And I LOVE Legion.

Go Legion of Spayed/Neutered Substitute Legion Pets!

Not the highest grade copy, but as our Boston friends would say, finding this book in grade is "wicked-hahd." Origin of Sunboy, 9th Legion appearance. And, if HG isn't a concern, I can post all day long here....just let me know.

With that expression on her face, WW looks like she's doing SOMETHING with that shark, but fighting ain't one of them! devil.gif

Tim, i don't think anyone responded to your request for the two Marvel FF 10 centers, so here are mine. the #2 has that chunk outta the top or it would kick some arse................ devil.gif

1100980317592_FF_s_003.jpg

1102707017132_FF_s_005.jpg

Tim, i don't think anyone responded to your request for the two Marvel FF 10 centers, so here are mine. the #2 has that chunk outta the top or it would kick some arse................ devil.gif

Harry, did you buy these at Sid's diner? 893whatthe.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Harry, did you buy these at Sid's diner? 893whatthe.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Yup all of the first 35 issues of FF were purchased by me at Sid's Luncheonette in Orange, NJ, except for #2 (which i bought a few blocks away and the guy pulled it down from a steel toothed clip - hence the missing chunk), and #4 (which i had to buy second-hand from a used book store in Newark, NJ).

the quality of my collection runs from a low of 6.5 (that #2) to a high of 3 - 9.4's , 5 - 9.2's, 5 - 9.0's and 9 - 8.0's.............#1 will finally be graded in a couple of weeks (only my 2d OO purchase via walk-thru). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

With that expression on her face, WW looks like she's doing SOMETHING with that shark, but fighting ain't one of them! devil.gif

1100980317592_FF_s_003.jpg

1102707017132_FF_s_005.jpg

I take it you haven't slabbed issue #1 yet? What grade is that lovely book.

FFB,

one just sold yesterday on eBay. Looked like a kid read in a the shower though. You are right, they don't come around very often :

Fox & Crow 2

I needs it for my collection - Feb.-March 1952 893scratchchin-thumb.gif You have any donation in mind devil.gif

I bought it from fellow forumite ft88 for almost four times what that copy sold for! foreheadslap.gif Of course, he had the presence of mind to list it as an Overstreet "scarce," so there was a lot more bidding activity.

If you need a copy, PM me and we can make a deal. I'm not selling it for $5 though! foreheadslap.gif

Harry, good luck with your FF1 - looks like a typically beautiful copy from the Sid's Luncheonette ped. thumbsup2.gif

Ten cent Detectives have been nowhere to be seen on this thread, presumably because they had just about the silliest covers imaginable, ill-befitting for the Dark Knight. Here are just two:

Note the "Batman corner shock pose" on this baby:

Det274.jpg

And after seeing this one, it is a shame that we've not been blessed with a Zebra-Man superhero:

Det275.jpg

Yup all of the first 35 issues of FF were purchased by me at Sid's Luncheonette in Orange, NJ, except for #2 (which i bought a few blocks away and the guy pulled it down from a steel toothed clip - hence the missing chunk), and #4 (which i had to buy second-hand from a used book store in Newark, NJ).

Wow, very cool! thumbsup2.gif

Harry, I'm really intrigued by the collecting/buying dynamics that existed at that time and would appreciate if you could try to take us into the mindset of a collector at that particular inflection point. Clearly, you were into SA DCs at that point already, so buying Marvel superheroes wouldn't have been a big jump for you, in terms of genre. Did you already buy pre-hero Marvels, so when FF 1 and other Marvel hero titles started coming out, you were just continuing your buying habits? Or was it something new for you, and if so, what was it that caused you to try out a new title from "that Marvel company"? Or did no one even care about publishers and a superhero book was a superhero book and a cool cover was a cool cover? Clearly you liked the title since you kept buying it for 35 more issues, but did it really stand out to you from DC or was it just another title that you happened to like along with the various DCs that you continued to buy?

Inquiring minds want to know! Is my background as a history major showing through? Man, it would be much easier to have asked you all these questions over a few cold ones in SF. frown.gif