• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
15 15

6,625 posts in this topic

I think those Detectives are absolutely beautiful. Gorgeous colors. Those silly books are fun to see. I love those Tec "shock poses". Keep 'em coming!!!!

Ditto. The goofiness is part of the attraction!

this is right on the borderline between GA/SA, but i'll post it here for the heck of it.

if you look in the gerber guide, he mistakenly lists this as issue 30, rather than 50. that mistake caused me much confusion in trying to find the right book!

730682-SA50.jpg

730682-SA50.jpg.09d4332a17d9d279f7aebb972bd406ab.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Yup all of the first 35 issues of FF were purchased by me at Sid's Luncheonette in Orange, NJ, except for #2 (which i bought a few blocks away and the guy pulled it down from a steel toothed clip - hence the missing chunk), and #4 (which i had to buy second-hand from a used book store in Newark, NJ).

Wow, very cool! thumbsup2.gif

Harry, I'm really intrigued by the collecting/buying dynamics that existed at that time and would appreciate if you could try to take us into the mindset of a collector at that particular inflection point.

I second Tim. But since I had a lot of math, I'm wondering if you can describe that inflection point in terms of n-space using Laplace transform.

I'm wondering if you can describe that inflection point in terms of n-space using Laplace transform.

confused.gif

I'm having flashbacks of my days doing differential equations!!!

Adam, that Strange Adventures is AMAZING!!!!! It's one of the best covers I've seen on this thread yet -- and that's saying a lot. I have never even seen this before. Isn't this what they call a "King-Kong" cover???

Keep posting! I'm loving it!

Joe

cloud9.gif

I'm wondering if you can describe that inflection point in terms of n-space using Laplace transform.

confused.gif

I'm having flashbacks of my days doing differential equations!!!

Adam, that Strange Adventures is AMAZING!!!!! It's one of the best covers I've seen on this thread yet -- and that's saying a lot. I have never even seen this before. Isn't this what they call a "King-Kong" cover???

Joe

cloud9.gif

Books from that period right before the comics code are almost all "scarce" at the least, some more than others. Try to find the 1954 Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. There are so many DC books from that era that are so tough to find. Of coarse Adamstrange's are in georgous shape, which makes them even easier to appreciate.

Yup all of the first 35 issues of FF were purchased by me at Sid's Luncheonette in Orange, NJ, except for #2 (which i bought a few blocks away and the guy pulled it down from a steel toothed clip - hence the missing chunk), and #4 (which i had to buy second-hand from a used book store in Newark, NJ).

Wow, very cool! thumbsup2.gif

Harry, I'm really intrigued by the collecting/buying dynamics that existed at that time and would appreciate if you could try to take us into the mindset of a collector at that particular inflection point. Clearly, you were into SA DCs at that point already, so buying Marvel superheroes wouldn't have been a big jump for you, in terms of genre. Did you already buy pre-hero Marvels, so when FF 1 and other Marvel hero titles started coming out, you were just continuing your buying habits? Or was it something new for you, and if so, what was it that caused you to try out a new title from "that Marvel company"? Or did no one even care about publishers and a superhero book was a superhero book and a cool cover was a cool cover? Clearly you liked the title since you kept buying it for 35 more issues, but did it really stand out to you from DC or was it just another title that you happened to like along with the various DCs that you continued to buy?

Inquiring minds want to know! Is my background as a history major showing through? Man, it would be much easier to have asked you all these questions over a few cold ones in SF. frown.gif

Tim; i started buying comics sporadically around 1956. i remember owning issue #233 of Detective (1st Batwoman) and Showcase #4. i can also remeber buying some Outlaw Kid, Kid Colt Outlaw and Two Gun Kid westerns around that time. they have all long disappeared.

around the beginning of 1958, while walking home from playing baseball after school, i stopped in a local drugstore by the ballfield and picked up copies of Adventure, Action, Detective, etc., comics and i was hooked.............

continued to buy mostly DC's for the next 3+ years until Fantastic Four came out. i was buying pretty much all of the DC superhero titles and some archies, dells and Harveys. Many of those books were later traded away for copies of Sport Magazine and Famous Monsters of Filmland.

Fantastic Four inaugural issue had a profound effect upon me. it was DIFFERENT.

the heroes argued with each other. they had issues and no secret identities. the series matured after only 3 issues and then came the Sub-Mariner. i couldn't find that frikking book anywhere and my cousin (who i'd gotten interested in comics) had his copy down in Kenilworth, NJ). took me months but i finally bought that second hand copy down in one of two used book stores that i used to frequent in Newark.

the FF was closely followed by Hulk, Thor and Spidey, all of whom i immediately took a liking to. although almost a cliche today, i was floored by the last panel of the spidey story in AF #15 ("with great power comes great responsibility")............

i didn't buy all the superhero books from marvel initially, as niether Ironman nor Antman held any interest. so my early copies of these titles are also second-hand copies from those Newark stores or acquired in trades. and i have no original purchases of any Marvel pre-hero titles. ( the only Sgt Fury i ever bought was issue # 13 with that great Captain America cover).

The coming of the Avengers and X-men also proved logistically difficult for me. i have never owned an avengers #1 having never seen a copy on the newstands. i had to pick up my X-men #1 at a candy store in Chatham, NJ, and i missed out on issues # 2 & 5.

by 1964 i was getting queasy about being a 16 year old and going into Sid's Luncheonette to buy comics and i think my last purchase was Hawkman #5 which would have been in the fall of 1964. At about that time i started my last Marvel run which was the first 5 issues of Daredevil. (of which all but #2 are HG). i actually debated buying multiple copies of DD #1 as the back issue market had begun to catch hold and the idea of saving #1 copies for future investment had begun to permeate the hobby. many years later when i went into the drawers to see what i had, i thought i'd find 5 copies of DD #1, since i'd given it so much thought. Alas - no such luck. probably spent the extra 48cents on Herbie (the fat fury) or similar stuff.

Fortunately, i didn't abuse most of my purchases from 1961 - 1965, with many of the '63 and '64 books being in great shape. i'd guess i have most everything issued between 1959 thru 1964 that DC and Marvel did (excluding Action, Jimmy Olson, Lois Lane, Worlds Finest, Detective, Superboy, the earliest Showcases & Sgt Fury), as i've bought thousands of copies to fill holes and expand my runs through the end of the Silver Age.

hope that gives you some idea of what was going on and my particular mindset at the time......... grin.gif

Joe

cloud9.gif

The cover art is by Murphy "Mr. DC Sci Fi" Anderson and, I think it is a tribute to Lou Fine's cover to Fantastic 3. Murphy was/is a big fan of Lou, and while the cover is not an imitation of Fantastic 3, I do think the robot was inspired by the ones on that cover. Or it could just be something he and Julie dreamed up. The interior art for the cover story is pencilled and inked by Infantino , and, for my money, is just as spectacular as the cover. It's a great comic all around.

As far as being a "King Kong" cover, wouldn't I at least have to have a gorilla on the cover? Or Detective Chimp?

Re Burntboy's MIS books and for Adamstrange, here's from Gene Colan's site:

731268-Colanadamstranges.jpg

Sorry if this is a repeat.

Even if it was a repeat, Adam Strange doesn't mind! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Gene was working at DC in the 50s and drew regularly for their Hopalong Cassidy comic. They didn't let him do any SciFi (that I'm aware of -- correct me someone if I'm wrong) as he probably didn't fit the "clean" art style that Julie Schwartz favored.

Tim; i started buying comics sporadically around 1956. i remember owning issue #233 of Detective (1st Batwoman) and Showcase #4. i can also remeber buying some Outlaw Kid, Kid Colt Outlaw and Two Gun Kid westerns around that time. they have all long disappeared.

around the beginning of 1958, while walking home from playing baseball after school, i stopped in a local drugstore by the ballfield and picked up copies of Adventure, Action, Detective, etc., comics and i was hooked.............

continued to buy mostly DC's for the next 3+ years until Fantastic Four came out. i was buying pretty much all of the DC superhero titles and some archies, dells and Harveys. Many of those books were later traded away for copies of Sport Magazine and Famous Monsters of Filmland.

Fantastic Four inaugural issue had a profound effect upon me. it was DIFFERENT.

the heroes argued with each other. they had issues and no secret identities. the series matured after only 3 issues and then came the Sub-Mariner. i couldn't find that frikking book anywhere and my cousin (who i'd gotten interested in comics) had his copy down in Kenilworth, NJ). took me months but i finally bought that second hand copy down in one of two used book stores that i used to frequent in Newark.

the FF was closely followed by Hulk, Thor and Spidey, all of whom i immediately took a liking to. although almost a cliche today, i was floored by the last panel of the spidey story in AF #15 ("with great power comes great responsibility")............

i didn't buy all the superhero books from marvel initially, as niether Ironman nor Antman held any interest. so my early copies of these titles are also second-hand copies from those Newark stores or acquired in trades. and i have no original purchases of any Marvel pre-hero titles. ( the only Sgt Fury i ever bought was issue # 13 with that great Captain America cover).

The coming of the Avengers and X-men also proved logistically difficult for me. i have never owned an avengers #1 having never seen a copy on the newstands. i had to pick up my X-men #1 at a candy store in Chatham, NJ, and i missed out on issues # 2 & 5.

by 1964 i was getting queasy about being a 16 year old and going into Sid's Luncheonette to buy comics and i think my last purchase was Hawkman #5 which would have been in the fall of 1964. At about that time i started my last Marvel run which was the first 5 issues of Daredevil. (of which all but #2 are HG). i actually debated buying multiple copies of DD #1 as the back issue market had begun to catch hold and the idea of saving #1 copies for future investment had begun to permeate the hobby. many years later when i went into the drawers to see what i had, i thought i'd find 5 copies of DD #1, since i'd given it so much thought. Alas - no such luck. probably spent the extra 48cents on Herbie (the fat fury) or similar stuff.

Fortunately, i didn't abuse most of my purchases from 1961 - 1965, with many of the '63 and '64 books being in great shape. i'd guess i have most everything issued between 1959 thru 1964 that DC and Marvel did (excluding Action, Jimmy Olson, Lois Lane, Worlds Finest, Detective, Superboy, the earliest Showcases & Sgt Fury), as i've bought thousands of copies to fill holes and expand my runs through the end of the Silver Age.

hope that gives you some idea of what was going on and my particular mindset at the time......... grin.gif

Thanks Harry, it's always better having an actual eye witness than just relying on second hand accounts. Your point about FF and the Marvels jumping out at you for being different is really interesting, as it fits in with the accepted history of SA. I've just always wondered whether that was a case of revisionist history "created" by Marvel to fit the facts, or whether there really was an epiphany-like difference that jumped out to readers at the time. From your post, it would appear to be the latter.

Although you were never that much into Ironman and Antman, I take it from your post that you DID notice when the "monster" books (AF, JIM, ST, TOS, TTA) switched over to super-heroes. I'd also always wondered whether readers noticed that a change had taken place and went out of their way to buy the "demarcation" issues, or just purchased the first superhero issues as a continuation of their normal buying habits. From what I'm extrapolating from your response, and the fact that TTA 27 (which really was a monster book and not a superhero book) remains so hard to find in HG, my guess is that readers DID notice the difference and as you indicate, started looking for back issues even back in 1961-63 if they had missed a first issue.

did colan wind up at DC?? i know his daredevil, ironman, sub-mariner & dr strange work but nothing after the mid/late 60's.......

Some of genial Gene's coolest work was done in the early 70s on Tomb of Dracula, especially when inked by Tom Palmer. The horror genre lent itself well to Colan's intense shadowing and talent for the female face.

Another Dell cheapie, along with a trivia question (20- and 30-somethings need not reply...). Who played Zorro, and in what other 60s classic TV show did he star?

zorro.jpg

Guy Williams - Professor Robinson from Lost in Space cloud9.gif

did colan wind up at DC?? i know his daredevil, ironman, sub-mariner & dr strange work but nothing after the mid/late 60's.......

Some of genial Gene's coolest work was done in the early 70s on Tomb of Dracula, especially when inked by Tom Palmer. The horror genre lent itself well to Colan's intense shadowing and talent for the female face.

He did several things for DC, such as Jemm, Son of Saturn; Night Force; Nathanial Dusk; and a long run in Detective Comics.

Both of the next 2 posts are of books that are nice, but could definitely use upgrading. So if you've got a near mint copy lying around, give me a shout.

731501-Western64.jpg

731501-Western64.jpg.51a444b3dc3c1267c94291cef9ed318d.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

I like the colors on this, though the book did give me a scare. I hadn't looked at in a long time and, at first, I thought the little circle in the rocket was an "extra" drawn by some kid. I couldn't figure out what the circle was trying depict and the ink line was not consistent. Finally, after looking at it under magnification and checking the copy on GCD, I was able to determine it was printed that way. I still don't know why the artist chose to draw the circle there.

731514-Superboy79.jpg

731514-Superboy79.jpg.642cb71951998398f0cc6feb9f5c409c.jpg

Edited by adamstrange