• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
15 15

6,625 posts in this topic

I don't know how to resize them from vendio, is there a program you can use to resize before posting? Thanks thumbsup2.gif

Maybe one of the more technologically adept members can help you out. I'm a real Luddite.

I don't know how to resize them from vendio, is there a program you can use to resize before posting? Thanks thumbsup2.gif

Maybe one of the more technologically adept members can help you out. I'm a real Luddite.

How come you can spell "Luddite," but you can't spell " dilemma "? Tim, you are a real enema. Or did I mean to say "enigma"? I can never keep those two straight. poke2.gifyay.gif

How come you can spell "Luddite," but you can't spell " dilemma "? Tim, you are a real enema. Or did I mean to say "enigma"? I can never keep those two straight. poke2.gifyay.gif

Just a tad too much time on your hands, eh? For the first time ever, you may be right. I checked a couple of dictionaries, and then the internet. However, I am not the only person who has been misspelling this word all these years:

Today's final spelling dilemma is, of course, the word dilemma. A simple compound of Greek origin, meaning literally two (di) and arguments (lemma).. Quite literally, it means to be caught between the two horns of an argument, unable to decide on one or the other.

Needless to say, my spelley-sense started tingling like crazy while reading the latest fine and thought-provoking post by Michael Beirut at Designobserver.com -- in which it was spelled dilemna multiple times, albeit in a quote from someone else.

A quick tour of the Googlescape reveals that for some reason, nearly an entire generation of American adults in some parts of the country was taught to spell "dilemma" as "dilemna," but no dictionary on the planet, going back however many years, has this on record. Was it a misprinted teachers' manual? Badly transcribed handwriting? A back-formation from a similar ending with silent Ns, like "solemn?"

And from another site:

Subject: Curious Dilem(?)a

I have a perplexing word problem that I thought you might be able to help me with. Recently, a group of friends got together to discuss the word "dilemma." The discussion came up because an editor changed one of our "dilemnas" to "dilemma," and was incredulous that anyone would be so foolish as to insert an "n" in this word. However, every one of us (and I'm talking about roughly 20 people) remembered being taught to spell the word D-I-L-E-M-N-A, and also remembered being chastized for the stupidity of using two "m's."

Is this one of those mass hysteria events, or is there something here? I distinctly remember a fourth-grade teacher going on and on, in a very loud drone, about the spelling of this word, and when I write the word, I say it to myself with a little emphasis on that pesky "n."

We are all in our 40's and 50's, which might or might not be relevant. Some youngsters thought to harass us about Alzheimer's, but we beat them into submission, and await your expert opinion. Do you have any insights? Anything you can tell us would be greatly appreciated.

I've never come across the word "dilemna". It is not listed in any dictionary I know of. It does appear in the OED in a citation for another word (horned):

"1551 T. WILSON Logike (1580) 34b, Dilemna, otherwise..called a horned argument."

My conjecture is that its similarity with a word such as "solemn" may be the cause of confusion here. The silent letter n in the latter word may make some to believe that dilemma follows the same pattern "lemn" instead of "lemm". It is especially possible when one acquires words by listening (TV?) rather than by reading. One look at the etymology of the word will remove any confusion. The word dilemma derives from di- (two) and lemma (assumption, premise). Recall the image of "horned" situation in the citation we just saw.

All 20 people in a group believing in the same incorrect spelling is unusual but you have more company that you might think. Google yields 13,400 Web pages with the spelling "dilemna". But Web never claimed to be the shining light of orthography. After all, this is the same Web where you can find 372,000 pages with the word "definately". Curiously, "dilemna" appears even on places such as NYTimes.com, CNN.com and MacWorld.com. We can give the benefit of doubt to some of these sites -- perhaps it was just a case of fickle fingers. Now if only we could trace that fourth-grade teacher... -

steve - question; as action 252 and 262 are 2 of the half dozen i own, i was curious about the Supergirl's costume change in 262. did they ever mention the RED dress in the issue, was the dress actually red in the story and did it ever appear again. i noticed that it changed back to blue in the later issue.

thinking that this may have been one of those coloring/rendering mistakes. think Avengers #11, for example. or the first 3 issues of the Shadow (archie) from 1964 where they couldn't get either the costume or the hair color straight. or B&B #34 where shiera's hair is black. etc., etc........

The story has her in the standard blue skirt. I assume it was a coloring error. Although it looks kind of nice...

When I read DILEMMA above my first reaction was it was spelled wrong too! I always pictured and used an 'n' in there. Its very interesting that there are soo many of us who do this, especially in light of the excerpts posted of teachers drumming (or was it drumning?) it into their heads in school.

We should alert WIlliam Safire to dig into the derivation of this red herring spelling.

steve - question; as action 252 and 262 are 2 of the half dozen i own, i was curious about the Supergirl's costume change in 262. did they ever mention the RED dress in the issue, was the dress actually red in the story and did it ever appear again. i noticed that it changed back to blue in the later issue.

thinking that this may have been one of those coloring/rendering mistakes. think Avengers #11, for example. or the first 3 issues of the Shadow (archie) from 1964 where they couldn't get either the costume or the hair color straight. or B&B #34 where shiera's hair is black. etc., etc........

The story has her in the standard blue skirt. I assume it was a coloring error. Although it looks kind of nice...

that's about what i thought. i like it better, also.......... grin.gif

Actually that is Jaguar 3. I posted # 11 under the Archie thread. Only the first 3 qualify for this more exclusive thread

I have attached # 1 to this post. If I have the time I will also post the # 2. I think I have a full run of Fly's as well, but I did not find any scans of them yet

732536-jaguar1.jpg

OK, now i remember that cover (it's actually quite well drawn.......). interesting that they didn't number the books!?!?

i think i gave that copy away to my nephews...... frown.gif

OK, here are some Strange Adventures from the early 60's. Accordian creatures, giant red aliens, Giant frogs, Phoenix riding queens, dreaming aliens and Invisible Dinosaurs (the latter VERY Star Spangled War Stories looking Dinosaur vs Soldier). the best news was that many of these either had Space Museum, Star Hawkins or the Atomic Knights stories (but Rarely covers........)

Accordian creature -

1108034700372_strange_adventures.jpg