• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
16 16

6,636 posts in this topic

I don't know how to resize them from vendio, is there a program you can use to resize before posting? Thanks thumbsup2.gif

Maybe one of the more technologically adept members can help you out. I'm a real Luddite.

How come you can spell "Luddite," but you can't spell " dilemma "? Tim, you are a real enema. Or did I mean to say "enigma"? I can never keep those two straight. poke2.gifyay.gif

Just a tad too much time on your hands, eh? For the first time ever, you may be right. I checked a couple of dictionaries, and then the internet. However, I am not the only person who has been misspelling this word all these years:

Today's final spelling dilemma is, of course, the word dilemma. A simple compound of Greek origin, meaning literally two (di) and arguments (lemma).. Quite literally, it means to be caught between the two horns of an argument, unable to decide on one or the other.

Needless to say, my spelley-sense started tingling like crazy while reading the latest fine and thought-provoking post by Michael Beirut at Designobserver.com -- in which it was spelled dilemna multiple times, albeit in a quote from someone else.

A quick tour of the Googlescape reveals that for some reason, nearly an entire generation of American adults in some parts of the country was taught to spell "dilemma" as "dilemna," but no dictionary on the planet, going back however many years, has this on record. Was it a misprinted teachers' manual? Badly transcribed handwriting? A back-formation from a similar ending with silent Ns, like "solemn?"

And from another site:

Subject: Curious Dilem(?)a

I have a perplexing word problem that I thought you might be able to help me with. Recently, a group of friends got together to discuss the word "dilemma." The discussion came up because an editor changed one of our "dilemnas" to "dilemma," and was incredulous that anyone would be so foolish as to insert an "n" in this word. However, every one of us (and I'm talking about roughly 20 people) remembered being taught to spell the word D-I-L-E-M-N-A, and also remembered being chastized for the stupidity of using two "m's."

Is this one of those mass hysteria events, or is there something here? I distinctly remember a fourth-grade teacher going on and on, in a very loud drone, about the spelling of this word, and when I write the word, I say it to myself with a little emphasis on that pesky "n."

We are all in our 40's and 50's, which might or might not be relevant. Some youngsters thought to harass us about Alzheimer's, but we beat them into submission, and await your expert opinion. Do you have any insights? Anything you can tell us would be greatly appreciated.

I've never come across the word "dilemna". It is not listed in any dictionary I know of. It does appear in the OED in a citation for another word (horned):

"1551 T. WILSON Logike (1580) 34b, Dilemna, otherwise..called a horned argument."

My conjecture is that its similarity with a word such as "solemn" may be the cause of confusion here. The silent letter n in the latter word may make some to believe that dilemma follows the same pattern "lemn" instead of "lemm". It is especially possible when one acquires words by listening (TV?) rather than by reading. One look at the etymology of the word will remove any confusion. The word dilemma derives from di- (two) and lemma (assumption, premise). Recall the image of "horned" situation in the citation we just saw.

All 20 people in a group believing in the same incorrect spelling is unusual but you have more company that you might think. Google yields 13,400 Web pages with the spelling "dilemna". But Web never claimed to be the shining light of orthography. After all, this is the same Web where you can find 372,000 pages with the word "definately". Curiously, "dilemna" appears even on places such as NYTimes.com, CNN.com and MacWorld.com. We can give the benefit of doubt to some of these sites -- perhaps it was just a case of fickle fingers. Now if only we could trace that fourth-grade teacher... -

You went through all of that to try to prove me wrong, and you say that I have too much time on my hands????screwy.gif

Oh I found that pic of Motor City.

It was different HG run of Showcase VF to NM that was found around the same time.

What are the odds

confused-smiley-013.gif

Nice books by the way thumbsup2.gif

Edited by Rip

the best news was that many of these either had Space Museum, Star Hawkins or the Atomic Knights stories

cloud9.gif

Keep 'em coming, Harry. I'm just getting more and more blown away by the breadth of your books! thumbsup2.gif

You went through all of that to try to prove me wrong, and you say that I have too much time on my hands????screwy.gif

Where's the eye rolling emoticon when I need it? Yes Scott, it took me a LONG time to look at the dictionary in my office, look in the dictionary in my neighbor's office, and then to do a google search, scan through the first 2 pages of search results and copy and paste the two items that jumped out at me. 5 minutes? Amazing how much more efficient you get when you're not bilking your clients by the hour. poke2.gif

Where's the eye rolling emoticon when I need it? Yes Scott, it took me a LONG time to look at the dictionary in my office, look in the dictionary in my neighbor's office, and then to do a google search, scan through the first 2 pages of search results and copy and paste the two items that jumped out at me. 5 minutes? Amazing how much more efficient you get when you're not bilking your clients by the hour. poke2.gif

Well, since the original "time on your hands" comment was yours, I should tell you that it took me about two seconds to read your post wherein you misspelled "dilemma," then another two seconds to read your post wherein you claimed to be a "Luddite," and another two seconds to remember that you had misspelled "dilemma" a few minutes before in another thread.

I then spent nine minutes laughing my @ss off at you.

It took me 54 seconds to find the link to your post wherein you misspelled "dilemma" and post my comment here.

So, ten minutes total. I guess you're twice as efficient as I am. poke2.gif

Very, very cool Sg. Rock prototype -- great story/art by Kanigher and Kubert.

734122-GIC56.jpg

734122-GIC56.jpg.38c8c10d31db6d74101c90c6b91b3423.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Adam, I know I'm not the first to say it, but...YOUR COMICS ARE AWESOME! If you're willing to share, I'd love to hear how you acquired these comics. They seem to be all of about the same quality and very high grade. Are they from the same collection? I can understand if you don't want to share your sources, especially if they are secret and still providing you great books. I've picked up bits and pieces of your story here and there, such as getting some from Overstreet, the White Mountain collection, etc., but it would be nice to get the whole story, your collecting history, habits, the titles and years your collection encompasses, your favorites, the toughest ones to find, what you are currently looking for, etc. I for one would love to hear it!

Joe

Adam, I know I'm not the first to say it, but...YOUR COMICS ARE AWESOME! If you're willing to share, I'd love to hear how you acquired these comics. They seem to be all of about the same quality and very high grade. Are they from the same collection? I can understand if you don't want to share your sources, especially if they are secret and still providing you great books. I've picked up bits and pieces of your story here and there, such as getting some from Overstreet, the White Mountain collection, etc., but it would be nice to get the whole story, your collecting history, habits, the titles and years your collection encompasses, your favorites, the toughest ones to find, what you are currently looking for, etc. I for one would love to hear it!

Joe

I've picked up bits and pieces of your story here and there,

Quick, someone call the cops! I'm being stalked! poke2.gif

it would be nice to get the whole story

I got my collection by being tougher than the toughies, and smarter than the smarties! And I made it square. Ooops, slipping into a little Uncle Scrooge.

Seriously, I appreciate the thank you's, and it does help keep me posting. I keep debating whether to slow down because I'm spending WAAAAY too much time on the computer these days. I'll probably slow down to one post per day, but I'll try to switch around between threads. We need more folks posting/talking about comics -- of any grade, slabbed or raw (I prefer the term "nude", myself). By the way, I don't feel particularly special as I believe you can go look at old Heritage catalogs or Metropolis's website to see an even greater selection of seriously wicked comics. Whenever I need a comic collecting fix, I go to both of those sites (and others) just to browse.

As far as where I acquired the books it would be from all the typical sources, primarily over the last 20 years. Dealers, auctions, conventions, and collectors, sometimes cash, sometimes trade. There are stories attached to particular deals or particular comics, but too many share and I'd prefer a little privacy, for as long as it lasts. Some stories aren't very exciting to anyone but me, as I remember how I had to economize in order pay for this purchase or that. There's a t-shirt I like with a quote from Erasmus: "If I have a little money, I buy books. If there's any left over, I buy something to eat."

The comics I have posted so far are only occasionally related to the same seller or the same deal. That's true even of the WM books on the pre-hero thread. I picked the Action 211 from a large dealer -- it was the only nice 50s Action I remember him having at the time and came from no collection in particular. The Flash 112 came from a different large dealer who got a large lot of mostly GA books but who had the beautiful copy of the 112. My records are horribly disorganized so it would take me a while to find out for certain what I paid for the Flash. I can't imagine it was much over 200 -- which seemed cheap to me at the time. The Action 210 came in a trade -- the fellow collector loved the cover as much as I did. I wouldn't overpay, he wouldn't overcharge, so we figured out a mutually agreeable deal involving WM horror and Salidas (the Action 210 was just one of the books that I got).

Even if I were to divulge sources it wouldn't mean much. The sources don't necessarily have any comics any more, or necessarily have any nice ones. Good collections don't come around often and it's unusual for a dealer to get one good score, much less two. I do think that comics are much easier to get now than they used to be. CGC, Ebay, Heritage, and internet stores/exchanges all make it relatively easy to find material compared to the old days of say 1998 and earlier. I still think it's a great time to be in the hobby, but I do realize that the higher prices make it tougher on many of us to prioritize our purchases. I keep praying for the great crash so that when tth2 panic-sells his killer SA DCs, I can scoop them up cheap!

Edited by adamstrange

Cowboy Western Sci-Fi

734924-SA61.jpg

734924-SA61.jpg.cd5909b73f199fa9b34dba73fa61c0a7.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Adam, thanks for sharing. thumbsup2.gif I always find it interesting to discover how other collectors go about amassing their collections: some buy as kids, some buy their whole life, some buy back issues as adults, etc. I saved very few of the comics I initially owned as a kid and basically began assembling and re-assembling and upgrading sets as a young adult so that now I have this killer collection. Collectors like Burntboy who bought the stuff as a kid and kept it immaculate seem to be the rarest. In my experience, any comic a kid touches turns to an instant good minus!

Joe