• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your 10 Cent-ers!
15 15

6,625 posts in this topic

Thanks Harry, it's always better having an actual eye witness than just relying on second hand accounts. Your point about FF and the Marvels jumping out at you for being different is really interesting, as it fits in with the accepted history of SA. I've just always wondered whether that was a case of revisionist history "created" by Marvel to fit the facts, or whether there really was an epiphany-like difference that jumped out to readers at the time. From your post, it would appear to be the latter.

Although you were never that much into Ironman and Antman, I take it from your post that you DID notice when the "monster" books (AF, JIM, ST, TOS, TTA) switched over to super-heroes. I'd also always wondered whether readers noticed that a change had taken place and went out of their way to buy the "demarcation" issues, or just purchased the first superhero issues as a continuation of their normal buying habits. From what I'm extrapolating from your response, and the fact that TTA 27 (which really was a monster book and not a superhero book) remains so hard to find in HG, my guess is that readers DID notice the difference and as you indicate, started looking for back issues even back in 1961-63 if they had missed a first issue.

no question that for me and my friends Marvel in late 1961/62 was a revelation!!

FF was first and started out looking kind of crude, but as i said by issue #3, it had already matured into something special and Lee emblazoned the cover with "World's Greatest Comic Magazine"..........

the other heroes started out similarly, in that they seemed to be ideas in progress.

The Hulk changed from grey to green and disappeared after only 6 issues. Ironman started out Grey, switched immediately to Gold and then 8 issues later switched to the modern red/gold combo. Thor was very confusing with the Dr Donald Blake thing as it seemed they weren't sure if they wanted to keep that concept or not. Spidey was pretty much solid from the beginning, although having grown up with DC super hero ART, it was a bit hard to take Ditko, at first.

DC had the dumbest story lines and villains. everything was a gimmick (ala Paste Pot Pete at Marvel). but Marvel villains were more evil and exciting and the battles were all Kick-. very little secret identity crapola stories at Marvel (Spidey/Hulk/Thor had them but they were played down). whereas at DC, they were a mainstay. DC had all the sidekicks, dopey pets and "Imaginary"stories. and so on and so on......

Once the Marvel characters quickly matured, the stories were simply more engaging. i was a converted DC fan!!!!

the artwork though was another issue. Marvels covers were more exciting and battle filled, and much of Batman and Superman was awkward or silly looking, but with a stable that included Infantino, Kubert, Kane, Anderson, Heath, etc., DC didn't play second fiddle to anyone.

i continued to buy DC's because they were pretty and i was a collector, but you can bet when i came home with 5-6 comics, the Marvels were the first ones that i read............. thumbsup2.gif

Burntboy, reading your post is like reading my own mind. I wasn't reading these books when they hit the rack, but my older brother had a stash of comics, Marvels and DC: Marvel Tales and Marvel Collectors Item Classics, and the DC Giants (I guess he liked the big squarebound 25 centers). As a kid, I found the DC stories silly and/or stupid. I loved the Marvels for the exact same reasons you describe above.

thumbsup2.gif

Great set of HG My Greatest Adventures.

I sold off a fantastic run of them to John Verzyl many years ago at a convention in LA. they came from one of my best finds when I first got back into collecting in the late 80's. A woman had advertised them in the recycler and I went to see them. They were runs of like 30 -40 strraight of maybe 1/2 dozen titles starting around X-men 6+/Daredevil 1+/Mighty Sampson/ and as I recall My Greatest Adventure. The books had been untouched in neat stacks for about 20 years. My prejudiced memory/eye would grade the run at at least and average of 8.5.

I kept most of them for my permanent collection, but only saved the Doom Patrol Issues of the MGA run. I remember negotiating with John and him telling Nanette "give him two bills for these". while I am sure that they are now worth quite a penny I did pretty well since that was more than I paid for the entire lot.

I also remember that the run of the individual titles was just absurd. " I was a _______" . just fill in the blanks with anything and slap a book together in color for just a dime.

unfortunately I have no remaining 10 centers from that purchase so I will post one of the few Archice 10 cent heroes

732031-jaguar3.jpg

732031-jaguar3.jpg.3a3164067f4859bb408a54430c505775.jpg

Edited by jmg3637

Great set of HG My Greatest Adventures.

I sold off a fantastic run of them to John Verzyl many years ago at a convention in LA. they came from one of my best finds when I first got back into collecting in the late 80's. A woman had advertised them in the recycler and I went to see them. They were runs of like 30 -40 strraight of maybe 1/2 dozen titles starting around X-men 6+/Daredevil 1+/Mighty Sampson/ and as I recall My Greatest Adventure. The books had been untouched in neat stacks for about 20 years. My prejudiced memory/eye would grade the run at at least and average of 8.5.

I kept most of them for my permanent collection, but only saved the Doom Patrol Issues of the MGA run. I remember negotiating with John and him telling Nanette "give him two bills for these". while I am sure that they are now worth quite a penny I did pretty well since that was more than I paid for the entire lot.

I also remember that the run of the individual titles was just absurd. " I was a _______" . just fill in the blanks with anything and slap a book together in color for just a dime.

unfortunately I have no remaining 10 centers from that purchase so I will post one of the few Archice 10 cent heroes

732031-jaguar3.jpg

is that issue #1?? very nice...... thumbsup2.gif do you have either of the Private Strong books?? i thought they were going to be successful except for the fact that the costume/haircolor/storyline all seemed to change with issue #2 as i recall....... confused.gif

not sure how/why i started and kept collecting MGA and Strange Adventures, but i did for a couple of years. i actually prefer both the artwork and stories in Strange Adventures and will post some of those 10 centers soon..........

Ya know, if Ian has EVERY silverage DC, he could at least post a couple of rare gems. C'mon Ian, you gotta have a favorite DC silver you could post...Jackie Gleason and the Honeymooners #12 or something. stooges.gif

Actually that is Jaguar 3. I posted # 11 under the Archie thread. Only the first 3 qualify for this more exclusive thread

I have attached # 1 to this post. If I have the time I will also post the # 2. I think I have a full run of Fly's as well, but I did not find any scans of them yet

732536-jaguar1.jpg

732536-jaguar1.jpg.adb68ad6944375725c8bdddb95767e83.jpg

Edited by jmg3637

Burntboy, reading your post is like reading my own mind. I wasn't reading these books when they hit the rack, but my older brother had a stash of comics, Marvels and DC: Marvel Tales and Marvel Collectors Item Classics, and the DC Giants (I guess he liked the big squarebound 25 centers). As a kid, I found the DC stories silly and/or stupid. I loved the Marvels for the exact same reasons you describe above.

thumbsup2.gif

I'm like you, I got into SA by reading the Marvel and DC reprints that came out in the 70s. However, although I loved the Marvel stories and was a Marvel zombie for a long time, I loved the DC SA stories too, but never collected them until much later because I just couldn't find them! I guess I really liked the DC stories because they WERE so silly and simple.