• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Comic No. 1 Hoard

257 posts in this topic

Just a guess, but I have a feeling that none of his books is going grade above 9.0.

One owner for 38 years who never read them seems like they should be in high grade. hm

If they were bought and distributed the way most newsstand copies were distributed at the time, actually, several of them would NOT be in high grade because of the way they would have been bound.

Nobody else has doubts about the story though? Bought for 24 cents each, sold three weeks afterwards (before the movie came out if this is true) for $3, etc.

I'd love to see a picture of these 100 comics when they come back from CGC. How much would someone have to drop to have 100 comics of this value graded?

Edited by rjrjr

CGC 9.8 Star Wars #1 = $2,000 each with 294 on the CGC census

CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-man #300 = $1,000 each with 584 on the CGC census

(half the price, but twice as many on the census)

This book is so ridiculously over valued it's not even funny.

Star Wars 1 was a massively hoarded book since Day One, and every hobbyist knows that. Anyone paying more than $700-800 for a 9.8 copy needs to have their head examined.

Does that mean anyone paying more than $350-$400 for a CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-man #300 should have their head examined? hm

meh.

There have already been six movies and the book was still had for five or six hundred dollars until less than a year ago. People didn't just suddenly realize there was a comic book adaptation out there that they had to have it any cost.

The difference now is that we are passing through an age of shamless and relentless shilling. It is books like this that people are referring to when they speak of a market crash and overly bloated speculative bubbles popping.

-J.

(thumbs u

Just a guess, but I have a feeling that none of his books is going grade above 9.0.

One owner for 38 years who never read them seems like they should be in high grade. hm

If they were bought and distributed the way most newsstand copies were distributed at the time, actually, several of them would NOT be in high grade because of the way they would have been bound.

Nobody else has doubts about the story though? Bought for 24 cents each, sold three weeks afterwards (before the movie came out if this is true) for $3, etc.

I'd love to see a picture of these 100 comics when they come back from CGC. How much would someone have to drop to have 100 comics of this value graded?

About $1700. Really not an impediment if you have 100 high grade issues.

About $1700. Really not an impediment if you have 100 high grade issues.

Exactly. In other words, if he gets one 9.8 it pays for slabbing them all.

Personally I think this story is a bunch of BS. If there is some truth to it say goodbye to any value as who in their right mind would not try to sell as fast as they can. The OP is going to sell two at a time? How long would that maneuver take, 20 years?

Could be BS. But it's not the type of book that would be unusual to have 100 undistributed copies of so I wouldn't be too surprised if it was legit. What is highly unlikely is that a large percentage would be 9.8. Unless he went to the trouble of pressing them first hm

Personally I think this story is a bunch of BS. If there is some truth to it say goodbye to any value as who in their right mind would not try to sell as fast as they can. The OP is going to sell two at a time? How long would that maneuver take, 20 years?

lol what's another 20 years. Could be bull. I also don't think many will pull 9.7's or a 9.6-9.8 in the real world if his is the real deal. Baffles me who would not have sold them during the last batch of movies. Who knows how they have been stored this while time as stated his primary focus is coins. For all we know every single one of them has been sitting in a safe with rusty staples.

I think the story is plausible. When I first caught wind of the comic I was already too late to buy at below cover. I ended up buying 50 copies off a distributor for 65¢ each. Back then, there were a lot of distributors. The Buyers Guide was full of ads from small distributors. Even after all these years, I still have a few left. I'm sure there huge stashes still to be brought out to the market.

There's no sense in flooding the market, when you can hopefully get more in the long run. Why kill the goose that lays golden eggs? Of course, if you need to cash out soon, now is a good time.

I think you all are way overestimating how many of these books there are. Yes, there are a lot but not X-Force 1 a lot or even Spider-Man 300 a lot. And many of them have been read several times over.

As a long term investment I think SW1 is a no-brainer. Even if this guy has 100 copies. Or even 200. The force is strong with this one, my friends.

I do not have 100 copies of Star Wars 1 BUT...

I bought a collection from a guy who had hoarded Marvel first issues from the late 70s.

100 Star TREK 1s

100 She Hulk 1s

100 Red Sonja 1s

100 Rom 1s

100 John Carter 1s (and 2s and 3s and 4s)

100 Moon Knight 1s

100 Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends 1s

I could have used 100 Star Wars 1s. I also have 500 Man of Steel 1s (the Byrne mini-series). Want one?

I have 100 Star Wars No. 1 Comics

They're all at CGC at this time for slabbing.

Anyone have any advice or comments regarding the liquidation of this hoard ?

Obviously I'm looking to capitalize on the release of the new movie coming out in December. But I dont know how to go about it without overwhelming the market with one hundred issues in fresh mint condition. Or am I overthinking it and the marketplace is big enough to absorb all of them without effecting the prices ?

What do you guys think ?

What you should do is

1) NOT flood the census with high grade copies.

2) If you ignore #1, whatever you do, don't tell everyone that you are flooding the census with high grade copies.

3) Realize that you are entering the wonderful world of "diminishing returns". Whatever works for 1 copy or 5 copies becomes infinitely harder at 20 copies, exponentially harder for 50, and untenable at 100.

100 slabbed copies, if you actually want to maximize profits and not destroy the market, will take years to move. The only way to move faster is to spread them out...a couple copies on EBay....a couple to Heritage....a couple to MCS....a couple to CLink....and then travel to every single convention during convention season and sell a few each weekend.

Even then...unless you start giving them away at 1/2 GPA...you are looking at a very long term commitment.

No matter where you sell and how you sell don't let anyone (else) know how many you have. Nothing kills the deal on a collectible item faster than pulling one out of a case of 100 in front of a possible buyer.

8 badjillion copies of this book were printed. Nice sharp copies were to be had for $5 for decades. I don't know how many NM or better copies I passed on because someone wanted $10. 100 copies is meaningless in the big picture. I don't see the need to blab about it though. As of two years ago I probably owned 10 copies and I never even chased the book hard.

I do not have 100 copies of Star Wars 1 BUT...

I bought a collection from a guy who had hoarded Marvel first issues from the late 70s.

100 Star TREK 1s

100 She Hulk 1s

100 Red Sonja 1s

100 Rom 1s

100 John Carter 1s (and 2s and 3s and 4s)

100 Moon Knight 1s

100 Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends 1s

I could have used 100 Star Wars 1s. I also have 500 Man of Steel 1s (the Byrne mini-series). Want one?

PM sent

Star Wars 1 was a massively hoarded book since Day One, and every hobbyist knows that. Anyone paying more than $700-800 for a 9.8 copy needs to have their head examined. lol

This.

Are the two of you sure about this?

I remember the Star Wars comic book did not catch on until issue #3 was out or around the time the movie debuted. I remember Star Wars #1 were already going for $10 or more at the time.

If there was any hoarding done, it was probably not done by the collectors of the day. Sure, there were more copies available in the marketplace afterwards, but these were most likely from unsold initial returns sitting in the distributor's warehouses which were now being actively hunted down.

This was probably one of the first "off the shelf" books to go up in price like that so quickly and was most likely one of the first books to start the subsequent hoarding that would become commonplace with Modern books.

Anybody remember Dazzler #1, now that was a really hoarded book.

Star Wars 1 was a massively hoarded book since Day One, and every hobbyist knows that. Anyone paying more than $700-800 for a 9.8 copy needs to have their head examined. lol

This.

I remember the Star Wars comic book did not catch on until issue #3 was out or around the time the movie debuted. I remember Star Wars #1 were already going for $10 or more at the time.

If there was any hoarding done, it was probably not done by the collectors of the day. Sure, there were more copies available in the marketplace afterwards, but these were most likely from unsold initial returns sitting in the distributor's warehouses which were now being actively hunted down.

This was probably one of the first "off the shelf" books to go up in price like that so quickly and was most likely one of the first books to start the subsequent hoarding that would become commonplace with Modern books.

This... and THAT! I do remember the days when Star Wars #1 and Dazzler #1. As a kid ... I went for the treasury edition of Star Wars because it was bigger with my $1.00 allowance. Dazzler #1? I remembered watched many people brought in number of 5-10 copies at the comic shop the day it come out.

Actually - as I recalled, the hoarding (of comics) begin earlier back then. :preach:

This.

Dazzler #1 you say???