• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA AUGUST 27-29 SIGNATURE AUCTION

671 posts in this topic

8,192 bidders so far for this auction we might hit 9000....which is a significant number of bidders...I have heard that persons interested in Ha. com auctions comic related have been estimated in the past at approx. 100K that number might be true, but that total might be from the first auction on. If we hit 10K bidders I would say 25K would be an accurate number of active comic art and comic book collectors on this site

8,192 bidders so far for this auction we might hit 9000....which is a significant number of bidders...I have heard that persons interested in Ha. com auctions comic related have been estimated in the past at approx. 100K that number might be true, but that total might be from the first auction on. If we hit 10K bidders I would say 25K would be an accurate number of active comic art and comic book collectors on this site

It would great for the hobby if that number were accurate, but it seems very high to me. I think someone mentioned -- or I read somewhere -- that comic auctions represent only about 3% of HA's auction business. That share doesn't seem consistent with 100,000 bidders in their comic auctions, although, of course the average price of a comic lot is probably well below the average price of lots in some of their other auction categories.

It would great for the hobby if that number were accurate, but it seems very high to me. I think someone mentioned -- or I read somewhere -- that comic auctions represent only about 3% of HA's auction business. That share doesn't seem consistent with 100,000 bidders in their comic auctions, although, of course the average price of a comic lot is probably well below the average price of lots in some of their other auction categories.

I think the more accurate number is about 10K of active comic related bidders, there are a number of collectors who do not bid on Ha...but look, thus 50K views...interesting is the number of items Ha.com has sold over the years....are you ready...4,292,123....that is the number in the auction archives.

We cracked the 9000 internet and mail bidder number at 9009 currently.

He are still some of the best bargains pre-auction price wise.

1- If the devil would talk...ever since this was featured in the price guide the book has achieved cult status....9.8 it is clearly the #1 copy out there...while it is still at $550 which is low in my opinion even pre-auction.

2- Hit comics #4...clearly a 9.4-9.6 copy even with a minor chip at the top...the back cover is also in perfect condition...highest graded and probably existing copy...this is the steal of the auction right now at 4800 with the 9.2 guide price at 4500...great book.

3-Torchy #1 highest graded copy...I have always liked this book and currently 60% of guide price at 1100/1314...

4-John Severin cracked cover #39 1964. For a cover that is almost 40 years old I bet of lot of you just skipped this..it is currently at $300 and blows away the poor condition #5 from 1958. One of the most detailed pieces I have every seen from this EC artist..content is outstanding.....

Hey Mitch;

How about the much talked about Suspense #3 here?

Still running around at condition guide with only a few more days to go.

Or do you think the big boys are just laying low in the bushes for now and waiting until the actual auction to show their hand? hm

Hey Mitch;

How about the much talked about Suspense #3 here?

Still running around at condition guide with only a few more days to go.

Or do you think the big boys are just laying low in the bushes for now and waiting until the actual auction to show their hand? hm

I think it will run up in the later part of the auction.

Well, if the stock market continues to decline this might be the right opportunity for a book like that to be had with a few big buyers out of the picture.

The headlines of the next couple of days are gonna tell what prices could go to...I like the suspense 3...but other than a great cover, I am not jazzed about the long term value of the book....its more hype than value in my book, I would take a mid-grade cap 1 over that book anyday.

Well, if the stock market continues to decline this might be the right opportunity for a book like that to be had with a few big buyers out of the picture.

Suspense 3 would be the type of book that would be coveted by the big boys within the hobby, and as such should not be as greatly affected by the current woes of the stock market as somebody from the outside with new money would be.

The headlines of the next couple of days are gonna tell what prices could go to...I like the suspense 3...but other than a great cover, I am not jazzed about the long term value of the book....its more hype than value in my book, I would take a mid-grade cap 1 over that book anyday.

Yes, it'll definitely be interesting to see if Suspense 3 can be the first non-super hero or non-Archie book to join the $100K club.

Suspense 3 would be the type of book that would be coveted by the big boys within the hobby, and as such should not be as greatly affected by the current woes of the stock market as somebody from the outside with new money would be.

Yes, it'll definitely be interesting to see if Suspense 3 can be the first non-super hero or non-Archie book to join the $100K club.

That happened in November of 2008 when the WDC&S #1, that came from the Crescent City Collection, sold at Heritage for $116, 512

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/walt-disney-s-comics-and-stories-1-dell-1940-cgc-nm-94-off-white-pages/a/830-91192.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

That happened in November of 2008 when the WDC&S #1, that came from the Crescent City Collection, sold at Heritage for $116, 512

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/walt-disney-s-comics-and-stories-1-dell-1940-cgc-nm-94-off-white-pages/a/830-91192.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I had forgotten about that one. I wonder what it would bring at auction today?

Dow was down 588.... If it continues downward look for a large number of buyers on the sidelines... Might be an opportunity ....sellers market

From the big $ bidders no change in agenda I suspect. But from avg joe American, I bet he/she becomes conservative if the dow continues its down fall hm

Dow was down 588.... If it continues downward look for a large number of buyers on the sidelines... Might be an opportunity ....sellers market

From the big $ bidders no change in agenda I suspect. But from avg joe American, I bet he/she becomes conservative if the dow continues its down fall hm

There were bargains galore this morning when overextended money managers began dumping their census topping GA and SA keys as they scrambled to meet margin calls.

At any rate, I assume a lot of that happened. :D

There were bargains galore this morning when overextended money managers began dumping their census topping GA and SA keys as they scrambled to meet margin calls.

At any rate, I assume a lot of that happened. :D

lol!

I wonder, though, whether economically motivated buyers might correctly perceive this as a better time to be throwing money into the stock market than into comics.

If the DOW plunges significantly and discretionary money gets tighter for middle income collectors, those buyers will probably stay on the sidelines. For sellers of mid-grade books, that means taking a bigger hit from auctions. OTOH, buyers shopping for bargains, especially dealers, will probably have more options for inexpensive pick-ups.

Given this scenario the gap between lower and higher grade realized prices will likely widen in coming years (GPA and eventually Overstreet). My 2c (adjusted for recession)