• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA AUGUST 27-29 SIGNATURE AUCTION

671 posts in this topic

Got my catalog today - even more tracking bids placed! :insane:

I would assume you are referring to the Heritage catalog?

Does CC ever send out catalogs for any of their auctions? ???

Just wondering since I have never ever received any from them, except for their "One Catalogue" way back in the 90's.

yes they do

but not the quality that the ha.com catalog...still better than CL

I don't know. I would really hate to see HA stop the catalogs. They are impressive and I always find books that I've overlooked when going through the online listings. The CC catalogs are a couple of steps down and I can't say I would be heartbroken if they stopped doing them.

Aren't we a little biased too? People on the boards are at least somewhat internet savvy, but I would guess HA still has a decent percentage of their bidders that aren't as comfortable online. The significant number of phone/fax bidders they still have tells me that the catalog might still be a primary way to reach their client base hm

They wouldn't print them if they hadn't determined it was a money maker for them.

I think you are right, although I believe someone mentioned that comics bring in less than 3% of their revenue. They print catalogs for their other -- presumably more profitable -- auctions, so perhaps the comic auction catalogs are produced to maintain consistency with their general practice. They have got to be extraordinarily expensive when you take into account their bulk and that they ship them around the world.

Aren't we a little biased too? People on the boards are at least somewhat internet savvy, but I would guess HA still has a decent percentage of their bidders that aren't as comfortable online. The significant number of phone/fax bidders they still have tells me that the catalog might still be a primary way to reach their client base hm

That is a very good point

They wouldn't print them if they hadn't determined it was a money maker for them.

They might just view it as a nominal cost in the grand scheme of things. If killing printed catalogs causes them to even lose a handful of bidders, or consignors, I am sure it is not worth it.

them maybe print them on demand, for what I am sure is a minority of bidders that are "not comfortable" bidding or viewing online...

nominal cost or not, they sell them for , what, $50?

you bid on and win a $300 item and you tack on the $60 in BP, wouldn't you rather pay $310 vs $360 (shrug)

or if their cost to produce is $20, or whatever, my point is, they are GREAT, don't get me wrong, but seems like a scaled back version (like CC) or elimination all together would save us buyers/bidders money, no matter how little...savings is a savings... just my 2c

I know that the "better" books are not featured in sunday auctions, but compare results with the quarterly books that are similar, and many times, the sunday auctions realize a higher bid...without catalogs...

them maybe print them on demand, for what I am sure is a minority of bidders that are "not comfortable" bidding or viewing online...

you bid on and win a $300 item and you tack on the $60 in BP, wouldn't you rather pay $310 vs $360 (shrug)

or if their cost to produce is $20, or whatever, my point is, they are GREAT, don't get me wrong, but seems like a scaled back version (like CC) or elimination all together would save us buyers/bidders money, no matter how little...savings is a savings... just my 2c

I know that the "better" books are not featured in sunday auctions, but compare results with the quarterly books that are similar, and many times, the sunday auctions realize a higher bid...without catalogs...

I have a suspicion they wouldn't be receptive to this argument because the BP is (I think) the same across all the auction categories, so I don't think they would be likely to cut it just for comic auctions.

Each auction, I find books that I missed online and would probably not have bid on if not for the catalog. With the CL auctions, I'll sometimes see somebody post a book they've won and think "I didn't even know that book was in the auction."

Of course, maybe I'm just explaining how I'm a doofus!

Wait, people actually PAY for the catalogs? I thought we all got them for free?

The price is printed on the back cover, but I doubt many people pay it. I think it's a way of keeping control of their mailing list. If you ask for a catalog without having a bidding history, they can say "Sure. That'll be $50."

I have a suspicion they wouldn't be receptive to this argument because the BP is (I think) the same across all the auction categories, so I don't think they would be likely to cut it just for comic auctions.

Each auction, I find books that I missed online and would probably not have bid on if not for the catalog. With the CL auctions, I'll sometimes see somebody post a book they've won and think "I didn't even know that book was in the auction."

I'm sure they own their own in house publishing service. The costs are simply shifted from one business (Heritage Auctions) to another (Ivy Press, Steve Ivy being one of the principles of both).

I don't know. I would really hate to see HA stop the catalogs. They are impressive and I always find books that I've overlooked when going through the online listings. The CC catalogs are a couple of steps down and I can't say I would be heartbroken if they stopped doing them.

Agreed

Agreed, I really enjoy the HA catalogs and I think it drives business. It certainly gets me to look outside my typical collecting box and bid on books I otherwise wouldn't.

I'm sure they own their own in house publishing service. The costs are simply shifted from one business (Heritage Auctions) to another (Ivy Press, Steve Ivy being one of the principles of both).

Yes, but Ivy Press likely bills Heritage for its printing services. Which means Heritage still pays for the catalog, just via a single invoice from IP as opposed to bills from the paper people, the ink people, the printing staff, etc

I love getting the catalogues in the mail from them and CC. Get's my juices flowing for the upcoming auctions ...I don't think it effects my bidding though if I'm pretty amped up already to bid as I have my limits 'usually 'set ahead of time