• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA AUGUST 27-29 SIGNATURE AUCTION

671 posts in this topic

well they are pretty well the most expensive non-keys in the hobby. How can they really get any higher, in RELATIVE terms, without a reversal of the trend towards keys? Don't see that happening.

It depends is a classic cover a key issue these days I think they are. Many of the early Batman covers have Zero content but are considered key because of the covers. Tec 31,35,36. The early Action Superman covers are the same way and even more expensive.

I think in this day and age classic covers ARE key books.

James

If you wanted to limit your comments to 31 and 35 I'd take less issue with them . (shrug)

But the way you laid it out includes 28,30,32,34,36,37... etc

Don't get me wrong, they deserve their prices and so do early actions. But I don't see nonkey actions and detectives getting higher relative to other big books. They are fine where they are

well they are pretty well the most expensive non-keys in the hobby. How can they really get any higher, in RELATIVE terms, without a reversal of the trend towards keys? Don't see that happening.

It depends is a classic cover a key issue these days I think they are. Many of the early Batman covers have Zero content but are considered key because of the covers. Tec 31,35,36. The early Action Superman covers are the same way and even more expensive.

James

If you wanted to limit your comments to 31 and 35 I'd take less issue with them . (shrug)

But the way you laid it out includes 28,30,32,34,36,37... etc

Don't get me wrong, they deserve their prices and so do early actions. But I don't see nonkey actions and detectives getting higher relative to other big books. They are fine where they are

I was just responding to Jimbo, anyone that knows those markets knows that the Bats and Sups covers are the ones that soar with insane prices. The other books are pretty dead and sell for a fraction of the character covers with a few exceptions being the Action 2 and Tec 28.

I think these days key and desirable go hand in hand. The fact of it is book slike tec 31,35,36 have classic covers and little to no content as sure they have become key issues because of the covers and also desirable for the same reason.

Look at Suspense 3, no content classic cover, but would many people argue that it isn't a key Timely book...

In trading cards a checklist is often the key card and highly desirable in high grade. I think for the most part key and desirable can be interchanged as everything that is key is desirable and most of the books that are desirable (by the masses) are the keys. Yes they are some exceptions but I am talking on a larger world wide scale.

James G

Look at Suspense 3, no content classic cover, but would many people argue that it isn't a key Timely book...

I think everyone would agree its not a key Timely book.

Anyway, as soon as "key" means "desirable" it doesn't really mean much anymore.

I have no problem saying it isn't a key timely considering it was published by continental :foryou::tonofbricks:

I have no problem saying it isn't a key timely considering it was published by continental :foryou::tonofbricks:

:grin:

James

I think we trapped speaking too generally about keys. We need to be more specific to distinguish between keys, semi-keys, demi-keys, mega keys, and super mega uber keys.

James

I think we trapped speaking too generally about keys. We need to be more specific to distinguish between keys, semi-keys, demi-keys, mega keys, and super mega uber keys.

not to be confused by car keys

James

you forgot key-keys and mon-keys

James

hm

As someone who grew up with collecting comics in the 1980's and 1990's then "dropping out" for most of the 2000's until getting back the last few years on a more "regular" level of collecting I found a few things very different on my return back.

First the impact of the movies and TV series are having on back issues and the amount of demand placed on classic covers and how the number of "key" books has increased.

I was always a collector of the classic or just really cool covers but it has been sticker shock seeing a book like Chamber of Chills #19 that I sold in VF for $60.00 go for several grand in the same shape or Marvel Superheroes #18 now being a "key" Marvel along with several other once cheap throw away appearances of GOTG characters.

I always expected the big books to continue to rise and there have always been surprises in the market but the market is just all over the place these days be it a "minor key" or "classic cover".

The term "key" is starting to feel like a very "watered down" term simply due to the new amount of "keys" in the market with new ones being created almost daily.

Got my catalog today it is a valuable marketing tool. Got me bidding on books and other items I hadn't considered before.

I thought this was a joke until the catalog arrived. :tonofbricks:

As someone who grew up with collecting comics in the 1980's and 1990's then "dropping out" for most of the 2000's until getting back the last few years on a more "regular" level of collecting I found a few things very different on my return back.

First the impact of the movies and TV series are having on back issues and the amount of demand placed on classic covers and how the number of "key" books has increased.

I was always a collector of the classic or just really cool covers but it has been sticker shock seeing a book like Chamber of Chills #19 that I sold in VF for $60.00 go for several grand in the same shape or Marvel Superheroes #18 now being a "key" Marvel along with several other once cheap throw away appearances of GOTG characters.

I always expected the big books to continue to rise and there have always been surprises in the market but the market is just all over the place these days be it a "minor key" or "classic cover".

The term "key" is starting to feel like a very "watered down" term simply due to the new amount of "keys" in the market with new ones being created almost daily.

True, of course, definition of the term key should be fluid given the number of comics produced since the 1930's.

GA keys are pretty logical and consistent (first issues, first appearances, origins), but occasionally the term key is stretched to include exceptional covers and/or event stories. Personally, I welcome this,

Seems to me that books of more recent vintage are likelier to be classified and reclassified based on fluctuating media interest (films & television). My 2c

James

I wouldn't say zero content. In 31 Batman fights a vampire and first uses a bat-shaped vehicle (the bat gyrocopter; up until then just drove an ordinary car). In 35 he is shown using a gun. In 36 he meets the first recurring super-villain (Hugo Strange).