• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HA AUGUST 27-29 SIGNATURE AUCTION

671 posts in this topic

I don't remember ever looking through a catalog except for quickly flipping through one once in a while quickly. I just got rid of a stack of them.

I have no idea why someone would prefer a large data base full of heavy books to just searching online but I guess the same can be said with comics...only comic collectors are nostalgic about their books. Not so much about catalogs.

I'd gladly take a drop in buying premium rather than pay for a catalog by subsidizing it.

Roy I have 3 or 4 in my magazine rack in my washroom. Its a great way to kill time when your sitting around if you know what I mean. :blush: Sometimes flipping through an old catalog opens your eyes to stuff you would never come across while surfing online unless you specifically are targeting it in a search. The catalogs are part of what makes Heritage so great.

BTW just curious, do you still buy hard copy Price Guides?

I don't remember ever looking through a catalog except for quickly flipping through one once in a while quickly. I just got rid of a stack of them.

I have no idea why someone would prefer a large data base full of heavy books to just searching online but I guess the same can be said with comics...only comic collectors are nostalgic about their books. Not so much about catalogs.

I'd gladly take a drop in buying premium rather than pay for a catalog by subsidizing it.

If it does help with dropping the % of the buyer's premium, I am all for it. Save a lot of trees too!

I can easily search for the books I want to keep track of online. I really have no use for the catalog as well. In fact, I am trying to cancel my catalog subscription online, but do not see anything where I can do that

Since we are now voting...

I will take a catalog please. I like flipping through them and scribbling down numbers so that I have a cheat sheet while the auction is going on.

I also don't think there could possibly be any appreciable reduction in the premiums as a result of discontinuing printed catalogs. Heritage simple writes off the expenses while shifting money from one department to another. Depending on how their accounting is set up, and adding in all of the other tangible and intangible benefits (incentives to consignors through lot placements and write-ups, potential advertising revenue, the perception of prestige that the catalog conveys, plus all the things mentioned previously in this thread), not printing a catalog could actually cost them money.

them maybe print them on demand, for what I am sure is a minority of bidders that are "not comfortable" bidding or viewing online...

nominal cost or not, they sell them for , what, $50?

you bid on and win a $300 item and you tack on the $60 in BP, wouldn't you rather pay $310 vs $360 (shrug)

or if their cost to produce is $20, or whatever, my point is, they are GREAT, don't get me wrong, but seems like a scaled back version (like CC) or elimination all together would save us buyers/bidders money, no matter how little...savings is a savings... just my 2c

I know that the "better" books are not featured in sunday auctions, but compare results with the quarterly books that are similar, and many times, the sunday auctions realize a higher bid...without catalogs...

I certainly see where you're coming from and personally agree with this point, since I'm already at a disadvantage with HA because of TX sales tax. However saying that they make BPs high to afford the bells and whistles like catalogs has it a bit backwards I think. As the "premium" comics auction house, they're setting the BPs high and then adding bells and whistles to support the premium value proposition.

It's hard to grab the premium provider space in any market, but if you can get it, it's definitely a position you want to defend at all costs 2c

By printing the best comic catalog on the planet on a regular basis this justifys the 19.5 or 9.5% preimum over cl and cc. I vote to keep. It, I too miss at least 10 items over the 1300. That are currently up for auction.

them maybe print them on demand, for what I am sure is a minority of bidders that are "not comfortable" bidding or viewing online...

you bid on and win a $300 item and you tack on the $60 in BP, wouldn't you rather pay $310 vs $360 (shrug)

or if their cost to produce is $20, or whatever, my point is, they are GREAT, don't get me wrong, but seems like a scaled back version (like CC) or elimination all together would save us buyers/bidders money, no matter how little...savings is a savings... just my 2c

I know that the "better" books are not featured in sunday auctions, but compare results with the quarterly books that are similar, and many times, the sunday auctions realize a higher bid...without catalogs...

I certainly see where you're coming from and personally agree with this point, since I'm already at a disadvantage with HA because of TX sales tax. However saying that they make BPs high to afford the bells and whistles like catalogs has it a bit backwards I think. As the "premium" comics auction house, they're setting the BPs high and then adding bells and whistles to support the premium value proposition.

It's hard to grab the premium provider space in any market, but if you can get it, it's definitely a position you want to defend at all costs 2c

I believe back in 2004 they moved their BP from 15% to 19.5% to offset, among other things, the rising cost of catalogs and website developement...I remember them posting that somewhere...

By printing the best comic catalog on the planet on a regular basis this justifys the 19.5 or 9.5% preimum over cl and cc. I vote to keep. It, I too miss at least 10 items over the 1300. That are currently up for auction.
I find I can view online much easier than flipping through a catalog...

better pics on line, better descriptions, etc...

Richard made a good point about taking notes in the catalog (pricing, etc).... I do the same thing, but end up transferring it to a smaller, easier to manage piece of paper that sits in front of my monitor

I believe back in 2004 they moved their BP from 15% to 19.5% to offset, among other things, the rising cost of catalogs and website developement...I remember them posting that somewhere...

Sure, but all price increases are going to have justifications like that. If they didn't print catalogs, it would have been about higher travel costs to visit consignors, expanded auction categories, sleeker website, anything they can spin as an investment "to serve you better." HA could choose to absorb expense increases and just suffer reduced profits, but due to their market reputation (along with the bells and whistles they offer like catalogs), they've been able to charge a premium price and reap the higher margins.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that while managing costs and optimizing the number of catalogs they send/print is a concern, that's not what ultimately drives their higher BPs. Their market position as the premium provider (and the higher value proposition they're able to bring to their customers) does. Then they continue to send us catalogs to support that position.

Sure, but all price increases are going to have justifications like that. If they didn't print catalogs, it would have been about higher travel costs to visit consignors, expanded auction categories, sleeker website, anything they can spin as an investment "to serve you better." HA could choose to absorb expense increases and just suffer reduced profits, but due to their market reputation (along with the bells and whistles they offer like catalogs), they've been able to charge a premium price and reap the higher margins.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that while managing costs and optimizing the number of catalogs they send/print is a concern, that's not what ultimately drives their higher BPs. Their market position as the premium provider (and the higher value proposition they're able to bring to their customers) does. Then they continue to send us catalogs to support that position.

I don't think anyone thinks the catalogs are a "huge" expense or driving higher BP....but, it is a component of the BP that I would be willing to forgo if (and that's a big if) it would reduce any costs that could be passed on...that's my only point (thumbs u

I don't think anyone thinks the catalogs are a "huge" expense or driving higher BP....but, it is a component of the BP that I would be willing to forgo if (and that's a big if) it would reduce any costs that could be passed on...that's my only point (thumbs u

Just bid on fewer items. That'll reduce your cost ... and probably mine, too. :D

definitely affects my bids. There's always something in the printed catalog that I miss during online review.

+1

Richard made a good point about taking notes in the catalog (pricing, etc).... I do the same thing, but end up transferring it to a smaller, easier to manage piece of paper that sits in front of my monitor

:gossip: Heritage on-line tracking feature allows you to add notes to tracked items.

:gossip: Heritage on-line tracking feature allows you to add notes to tracked items.

Heritage's new real-time on-line urination feature allows you to go to the bathroom through your computer and not miss a bid.

But I still prefer the old, non-mechanical way the best.

Heritage's new real-time on-line urination feature allows you to go to the bathroom through your computer and not miss a bid.

But I still prefer the old, non-mechanical way the best.

I thought everyone just put on depends, industrial strength (shrug)

Totally agree!

Even if Heritage stopped producing the catalog (which I hope they won't), people here are dreaming if they think that would result in a reduction of the BP. It would just be an opex savings that would flow to Heritage's bottom line.

Things just don't work that way in real life.

Even if Heritage stopped producing the catalog (which I hope they won't), people here are dreaming if they think that would result in a reduction of the BP. It would just be an opex savings that would flow to Heritage's bottom line.

Things just don't work that way in real life.

exactly

^ I was going to post the same thought earlier. Truth is if gator and others want the BP to come down the most meaningful way to achieve that is to do more business with clink instead. Heritage will charge as much as they can for the market position they are in. Only the weakening of that position would erode premiums.