• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS 39 CGC 9.6 takes a hit of 75K

135 posts in this topic

If this is the same book (I'm assuming it is the way people are talking about it) then yeah, this buyer/seller took a hit, but prices on books/sales like this are by nature unique beasts. The Pacific Coast copy (also 9.6) sold for $262,900 3 months after the $375k sale.

There are no guarantees with these things. Especially when buying at peak hype and selling some time later.

if the seller was Canadian and sold for the stronger US dollar

the seller also bought the book in USD

In 2012 the US:CAD was much closer to par. So the 375k USD was 375k CAD, now the 300kUSD is closer to 380CAD.

That book in that grade comes up for sale too often. It impacts the "specialness" of it.

AF 15 is the number 3 book in the hobby. If a 9.6 came up now I'd wager it would break 1.2M.

-J.

I don't think so. When the copy sold for 1.1mil, it was the only 9.6, now there are more in the census. And I also believe the sale was influenced by the multi millions sales of the Action 1 and Tec 27 at the time

All Jay needs to do is go ask Colorado Comics what they paid for their copy.

Scott has been tight-lipped about that other than to confirm was well below the million dollar mark.

Anyone have any more specific colour on that trade from Doc Ock?

On a side note:

I've been toying with the idea that the Huk #1 CGC 9.4 is potentially the most valuable Silver Age book right now, because Hulk is so hot and the the AF15 census is tied at the top.

If a 9.2 Hulk #1 sells for $325,000, what does the 1:1 9.4 sell for? Is it more than a 9.6 AF15?

On a side note:

I've been toying with the idea that the Huk #1 CGC 9.4 is potentially the most valuable Silver Age book right now, because Hulk is so hot and the the AF15 census is tied at the top.

If a 9.2 Hulk #1 sells for $325,000, what does the 1:1 9.4 sell for? Is it more than a 9.6 AF15?

I think it would hammer around 850-900K.

If this is the same book (I'm assuming it is the way people are talking about it) then yeah, this buyer/seller took a hit, but prices on books/sales like this are by nature unique beasts. The Pacific Coast copy (also 9.6) sold for $262,900 3 months after the $375k sale.

More than anything else, this indicates that the initial $375K sale is really nothing more than an outlier when it comes to establishing the trend line for TOS 39.

Maybe the initial purchaser has simply been drinking too much of the CGC juice and got taken in by the 9.6 label, not realizing that with the CPR game in place and ungraded copies still sitting in private collections, there are bound to be more 9.6 copies and possibly even higher ones out there. doh!:tonofbricks:

We've never lived in a time where so much attention is given to every sale. I agree that the 9.6 price was likely overpriced.

You can't draw a conclusion of trend based on one sale or even two.

if the seller was Canadian and sold for the stronger US dollar

the seller also bought the book in USD

In 2012 the US:CAD was much closer to par. So the 375k USD was 375k CAD, now the 300kUSD is closer to 380CAD.

What makes you think the initial purchaser of the $375K book and now the $300K seller was a Canadian in the first place?

If this is the case, it would most definitely reduce the loss to really nothing more than the seller's premium for auctioning off the book. (thumbs u

We've never lived in a time where so much attention is given to every sale. I agree that the 9.6 price was likely overpriced.

Top CGC sales for key Marvel books are few and far between. So we probably don't even have enough data when trying to determine trends across multiple books.

Here's a quick and dirty list over the past few years:

No Hulk 1 9.4 sales

Two sales for AF15 in 9.6.

3 sales for TOS39 9.6.

No sale for the FF1 9.6 (trade/cash :frustrated:)

No JIM 83 9.6 sales.

No DD1 9.8 sales.

No ASM 1 9.8 sales.

2 TTA 27 9.4 sales.

1.5 X-men 1 9.8 sales

2 Avengers 1 9.6 sales

2 Avengers 4 9.8 sales

Top CGC sales for key Marvel books are few and far between. So we probably don't even have enough data when trying to determine trends across multiple books.

No Hulk 1 9.4 sales

3 sales for TOS39 9.6.

No JIM 83 9.6 sales.

No DD1 9.8 sales.

No ASM 1 9.8 sales.

2 TTA 27 9.4 sales.

1.5 X-men 1 9.8 sales

2 Avengers 1 9.6 sales

1 Avengers 4 9.8 sales

:o:o They cut an X Men 1 9.8 in half and sold it?

No Hulk 1 9.4 sales

3 sales for TOS39 9.6.

No JIM 83 9.6 sales.

No DD1 9.8 sales.

No ASM 1 9.8 sales.

2 TTA 27 9.4 sales.

1.5 X-men 1 9.8 sales

2 Avengers 1 9.6 sales

1 Avengers 4 9.8 sales

:o:o They cut an X Men 1 9.8 in half and sold it?

lol. One of the 9.8s did sell, but did so as a 9.6. That was actually long enough ago that it doesn't really count for this discussion.

I think this sale is positive, if anything. Someone else -- other than that buyer (now seller) who a few years ago was willing to pay $375K for a comic book (!) that's not Action 1 or Tec 27 -- paid $300K for that same comic book. $300K is a ridiculous amount of money, particularly for a Silver Age Marvel in this post-dry cleaning age where other 9.6s can come out of the woodwork.

Hardly gloom-and-doom from my perspective. When TOS 39s in 7.0-ish range start exhibiting a consistent and steady decline in price, then I would worry.

ComicLink copy sold in 2012 for 375K, sold tonight for 300K. Ouch !

Maybe it's nothing more than a sign that reality is starting to set in on these not so scarce Marvel keys and buyers are now starting to base their price more on the book itself, as opposed to what is on the CGC label. hm

Also Hollywood movie hype isn`t as powerful as it was.

Don`t get me wrong it`s still there, but not at the mania of a few years back.

Its just so simple, not every sale on every book is going to go up at this point. Over the past 5 years we have seen key silver & gold books double and triple in value. After 30 yrs of collecting comics I can tell you this is not the norm & it points to our hobby moving toward some very bad times in the future.The high end investor/speculator & superhero hype in general have fueled many books out of the reach of true collectors. When people who do not collect an item get into a hobby to invest at some point there has to and is going to be slow down in the market IMO. After a certain dollar point there are only so many players.AF 15 Tec 27 Action 1 ect will always be in very high demand in any grade. But lets be honest some of the prices seen on recent so called rare bronze, silver & gold keys are just not realistic & in this case 9.6 or not Iron man is not Spiderman! ( I don't know about you but a 300k+ book puts most comic people I know out of the game real quick, including myself).What can and will happen is not new it's happened to almost every hobby I can think of over the last 30 yrs. ( classic cars, stamps coins baseball cards ect). In the end some people get burnt and others don't. The best thing to do is to buy what you love and what you can afford and enjoy it for how damn special it is to you. Because the one thing I do know is the investor tends to sells off real quick and runs to the next HOT collectible. In the end the same people who started the hobby stay around because they love the smell of old cheap pulp and the magic printed on it .................... Just an old dogs point of view.

Good points.

Just about all other major hobbies have taken a hit. The comic movie hype made the comic book hobby the anomaly for the last 8 years.

Soon as the movie hype wears off we could see major corrections. :o

I`m looking at the upcoming Batman versus Superman movie as the peak of superhero movie hype.

After that I expect more people to start to focus on Star Wars hype for awhile.

These markets are cyclical, and I have noticed a slight downward trend with superheroes at the box office this year.

So I see at this time next year some comics entering a market correction phase.