• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are signature series worth getting and should artists charge more for CGC book?

427 posts in this topic

You're the one being dishonest here, by denying the fact that the only reason to get it witnessed and not personalized is because it's not a keepsake, but a commodity. You're not asking for an autograph, you're asking for them to add value to your commodity. Even if your plan isn't to list it on eBay right that second, the plan is to add it to your pile of commodities, and not your pile of keepsakes.

That's a load of horse manure. A total load of bullcrap.

Sorry, but you're completely wrong, and other SS fans will tell you the exact same thing. It's totally insulting to the thousands of SS fans there are out there.

It's just another iteration of "what I collect rocks, what you collect sucks."

If I handed my copy of Love And Rockets #1 to one of the Hernandez Bros and they decided to draw all over the cover I wouldn't be upset, it's original art from a creator I admire, and the thing would never be for sale anyway once I got to meet them and the signed comic was a memento of that meeting.

I'm of the opinion that an artist cannot destroy his art by signing it.

Great for you. That's wonderful.

But other people don't feel the same way, and they have just as much right to their opinion about how anyone, even creators, treats THEIR PROPERTY as you do about yours.

You don't respect that, obviously.

If you're worried about someone messing up your comic with marker, don't hand your comic and a marker to someone.

What a bizarre way of viewing the situation. How about people simply be respectful...? Too much to ask?

How about people simply be respectful...? Too much to ask?
lol

Seems so, which is why some creators have resorted to charging those disrespectful people in their lines money for signatures.

It's pointless having this discussion with you. You don't understand the SS program, you think everyone getting a book CGC SS'd is doing it to sell it, and all anyone cares about is how valuable the book now is because of the slab and sig(s). Since that's where you're coming from, you believe that people simply getting a book SS'd are "being disrespectful."

There's no arguing with that. You started from your conclusion, and have no interest in anyone saying anything contrary to your belief.

You don't know what you're talking about, but you'll argue anyways.

Have a good night.

I don't think simply getting an SS book is being disrespectful, I think being disrespectful is thinking an artist cannot charge for his art, and his signature IS art.

Pretty sure a personalized sig can still get a yellow label too.

When Elvira personalized a signature for me without asking,It destroyed my composure(,it was spicy),bu t not the item.Someone not named Jimmers may think so though.

But, you see Jimmers, that was your choice to make. If it didn't bother you, that's wonderful...but it wasn't Elvira's decision to make. She should have asked.

Personally, I don't want my books personalized, because I didn't have anything to do with the book. It makes no sense to have my name on it.

But...if I get a sketch or other commission, I'd love to have it personalized, because that art was created specially for me.

I don't think simply getting an SS book is being disrespectful, I think being disrespectful is thinking an artist cannot charge for his art, and his signature IS art.

No one in this entire conversation has said that an artist cannot, or should not, charge for his signature. That has never been the case in this entire conversation.

So? If I don't want my name on my book, don't put my name on my book. It's *my* book. If you won't sign it without personalizing it, tell me first, so I can decide for myself if I want my name on my book.

If you don't care about resale value then what does it matter if you get a book thrown in a yellow label? Getting a book signed without the SS process makes total sense to me if you plan on keeping it for your own collection. In fact you could even slab it later on and get the green label and still be happy.

No one in this entire conversation has said that an artist cannot, or should not, charge for his signature. That has never been the case in this entire conversation.

So? If I don't want my name on my book, don't put my name on my book. It's *my* book. If you won't sign it without personalizing it, tell me first, so I can decide for myself if I want my name on my book.

How many times have you told me you will no longer respond to me in this thread so far? lol

I want a Stan Lee sig that says 'Steve Ditko'

......I think you're on to something here. He'll already sign anything, why not any name? Get a whole SS run together of Stan signing the other creators names.

That would be pretty cool.

Kinda like this:

021_2.jpg

Jim Starlin did the entire book, except editing and letters.

Writing, penciling, inking, colors.

But in the credits, Starlin is listed as four different names: Sam Jiltirn, J.L. Minirats, Ms. Natjirl, and Jim Starlin.

All anagrams of his name.

So, I asked him if he would sign all four...and he did. ;)

How many times have you told me you will no longer respond to me in this thread so far? lol

Zero.

You see what you want to see, not what is. That's dishonest.

Saying "it's pointless having this discussion with you" doesn't mean I give up the right to respond to your incorrect statements, nor does it mean I "told you I would no longer respond to you." I never said anything of the sort.

It IS pointless having this discussion with you, because you have no interest in hearing any opinion but your own. But that doesn't mean your incorrect statements should go unchallenged.

When Elvira personalized a signature for me without asking,It destroyed my composure(,it was spicy),bu t not the item.Someone not named Jimmers may think so though.

But, you see Jimmers, that was your choice to make. If it didn't bother you, that's wonderful...but it wasn't Elvira's decision to make. She should have asked.

Personally, I don't want my books personalized, because I didn't have anything to do with the book. It makes no sense to have my name on it.

But...if I get a sketch or other commission, I'd love to have it personalized, because that art was created specially for me.

Hence i said folks not named Jimmers might not like it...and i believe the heart was created just for me....teeheehee...

Im not arguing or nuthin"just like talking about my Elvira sig.

If you don't care about resale value then what does it matter if you get a book thrown in a yellow label? Getting a book signed without the SS process makes total sense to me if you plan on keeping it for your own collection. In fact you could even slab it later on and get the green label and still be happy.

In other words....

"What I collect rocks, what you collect sucks."

That's very shortsighted of you.

What if I don't personally witness the signature being applied, since I couldn't be where the creator was? I would want that authentication by someone who DID witness it.

What if I forget, 20 years from now, when and how I got a book signed? If it's not slabbed, and I forget, how will I know it's an authentic signature?

"Well, you could get a photo with the creator!" What if I misplace the photo? What if I don't like taking photos? What if I don't record the details of the signing?

What if I want it graded?

What if I want to participate in the registry?

What if I want to show off my graded book to others?

The slab addresses all those issues, quite nicely, and none of which has to do with resale.

sorry for my ignorance, but what extra $, if any, does CGC charge for the SS experience? i couldn't find it on this website. not that it isn't here, i just didn't find it.

Zero.

You see what you want to see, not what is. That's dishonest.

Saying "it's pointless having this discussion with you" doesn't mean I give up the right to respond to your incorrect statements, nor does it mean I "told you I would no longer respond to you." I never said anything of the sort.

It IS pointless having this discussion with you, because you have no interest in hearing any opinion but your own. But that doesn't mean your incorrect statements should go unchallenged.

Following with "Have a good night" would in no way imply you were done. I say "Have a good night" at the start of many conversations, or randomly in the middle of some.