• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing

476 posts in this topic

ALWAYS consider the bias of the source.

Exactly. Consulting an "expert" isn't always the answer if said expert has a biased slant toward one side of the issue. Now, of course, everyone has some sort of partiality in some direction on everything, but when it's driven by an overpowering force -- like money -- one would be foolish to ignore it. In the most extreme cases, to continue Sid's courtroom analogy, said witness would be fairly well impeached by this bias.

It seems like a lot of people here tend to ignore Povertyrow's opinions on this issue. I don't know why this is. Perhaps because he's viewed more as "one of us" rather than one of the "elite outsiders" we all ooh and ahh over. But when it comes to matters of restoration, Pov has the deepest understanding of it out of all of us (he learned under Susan C. for chrisakes!), AND because he doesn't practice the craft for profit is one of the board's most unbiased voices on this topic.

Again, just my two cents worth.

Alan

Pov has the deepest understanding of it(pressing) out of all of us (he learned under Susan C. for chrisakes!),

And because he doesn't practice the craft for profit is one of the board's most unbiased voices on this topic.

EXACTALY!!! It is and has always been about INTENT!, AND FULL DISCLOSURE!

TELL BEFORE YOU SELL.......NO MORE N.D.P.F.P......NON-DISCLOSED-PRESSING-FOR-PROFIT!!!

It seems like a lot of people here tend to ignore povertyrow's opinions on this issue. I don't know why this is. Perhaps because he's viewed more as "one of us" rather than one of the "elite outsiders" we all ooh and ahh over. But when it comes to matters of restoration, pov has the deepest understanding of it out of all of us (he learned under Susan C. for chrisakes!), AND because he doesn't practice the craft for profit is one of the board's most unbiased voices on this topic.

Thanks for the kind words, Pedigree. But just to set the record straight I didn't learn under any one individual. I did a lot of self-studying and experimentation. Spoke and corresponded with many restorers (not just comic books but fine art and document restorers and museum staff/library staff.) For some years in the late 80's I spent more experimenting with restoration than any other pursuit. During the course of this I DID spend about 20 hours formally learning several process including tear sealing, spine roll removal, sctoch tape removal, pressing, inpainting, ink(oil) transfer stain removal and aquaeous cleaning. We also discussed such things as wheat/rice pastes, archival adhesives, the pluses and minuses of certain processes etc. While the techniques I learned were invaluable, the thing I most value about those hours was the "approach" that was at times clearly enunciated and at times almost subliminlly transferred: a combination of caution, logic, care and knowledge mixed with an appreciation of the media and the awareness that anything you do will have an impact.

(he learned under Susan C. for chrisakes!),
...an envious place to be, for sure... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for the kind words, Pedigree. But just to set the record straight I didn't learn under any one individual.

893whatthe.gif TMI! TMI!!!

(he learned under Susan C. for chrisakes!),
...an envious place to be, for sure... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for the kind words, Pedigree. But just to set the record straight I didn't learn under any one individual.

893whatthe.gif TMI! TMI!!!

Also to set the record straight. I posted this because I do not want people to envision me being a long-term apprenctice/student in a pro lab. It would be unfair and innacurate to imply that!

[insert standard Red Hook rant regarding pressing, the motivation of greed and the simple desire for the full disclosure that any truly ethical business would provide.]

Red

Brad,

I dont really see pressing as that unethical,...and since it doesnt alter the molecular structure,..I dont see it as restoration.

It DOES alter the molecular structure. Of course it does!! Does it do any short or long term damage? Only time will tell.

Brad,

I dont really see pressing as that unethical,...and since it doesnt alter the molecular structure,..I dont see it as restoration.

It DOES alter the molecular structure. Of course it does!! Does it do any short or long term damage? Only time will tell.

How does is alter the molecular structure?

Brad,

I will take a stab at this.

I do not think Brad is saying pressing is unethical.

Pressing a comic with no other intent then to bump up the grade in an attempt to sell it for even more $$$ . with no regards to the comic itself, and NOT disclosing the fact that you did this when you sell it to someone ....is considered by many to be unethical.

Ze-

Honestly,

I dont see this as unethical. CGC doesnt view it as restoration. I see a good arbitrage opportunity in this 'loop-hole'. Finding candidates for pressing,..and then 'fixing em up'. Isnt this what comics are all about,...???? Finding good deal,..and makin some sweet trades ?,...To me this just sounds like good ole' plain American Entrepreneurship. And if the buyer doesnt realize it,..then,..no harm,...no foul. Its like cheatin on your wife,...if she doesnt find out,...is it really cheating ?

Finding candidates for pressing,..and then 'fixing em up'. Isnt this what comics are all about,...???? Finding good deal,..and makin some sweet trades ?

errrr...no.

Its like cheatin on your wife,...if she doesnt find out,...is it really cheating ?

ummm...yes.