• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

218 and 219.  Feels weird to start the new year of covers without a Christmas giant.

The 219 doesn't really have a gag to it, does it?  Just the characters having fun.  There were covers without jokes on the giants fairly often, but it's been a long time on the actual series where they went that route.

LT_218.jpg

LT_219.jpg

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

214 and 215.  214 was one of my earliest issues, possibly even the third I got.  The "Bugs sweeping stuff somewhere inappropriate" gag was used several times on covers, but this is my favorite variation on that.

LT_214.jpg

LT_215.jpg

I can see why: Petunia is almost giving off some GGA there.......(Don't judge me! )lol

22 hours ago, sagii said:

I can see why: Petunia is almost giving off some GGA there.......(Don't judge me! )lol

I can only offer a compromise, I'm afraid:  I'll judge you for other reasons, instead.  :-)

220, and Dell Giant #28 (Bugs Bunny's Winter Fun) from the same month.  This will be the last Winter/ Christmas giant, dated a bit later than the Christmas titled issues.

LT_220.jpg

LT_220g.jpg

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I can only offer a compromise, I'm afraid:  I'll judge you for other reasons, instead.  :-)

220, and Dell Giant #28 (Bugs Bunny's Winter Fun) from the same month.  This will be the last Winter/ Christmas giant, dated a bit later than the Christmas titled issues.

LT_220.jpg

LT_220g.jpg

Another pair of great covers, the Winter Fun in particular because it features Bugs closer to model. Nice use of colors on it too.

On 4/15/2017 at 9:06 PM, sagii said:

Another pair of great covers, the Winter Fun in particular because it features Bugs closer to model. Nice use of colors on it too.

I'm not a fan of Sylvester and Elmer on the Winter Fun cover, but otherwise, it is a nice one.

225 and 226

LT_225.jpg

LT_226.jpg

14 hours ago, sagii said:

The 'gag' of painting Elmer's head was used a lot, but always gets a chuckle out of me every time. 

I find this one of the better uses of the gag, for some reason.  The globe is just funny.

230 and 231.  The 230 is actually very similar to the one they'll wind up using on the last issue...

LT_230.jpg

LT_231.jpg

20 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I find this one of the better uses of the gag, for some reason.  The globe is just funny.

230 and 231.  The 230 is actually very similar to the one they'll wind up using on the last issue...

LT_230.jpg

LT_231.jpg

Yeah, they did use the Bus Stop / Lunch Box gag a few times (but the last issue of the original series did it best :x )

238 and Dell Giant Bugs Bunny's Beach Party 46.  The cover gag on the Beach Party gag always feels a little odd to me... It's clearly playing of the "I never studied Law" school of jokes, but the execution feels weird.

These two episodes tie as the last Dell issues with Mary Jane & Sniffles comics, sadly; although I believe the text stories continue in Porky Pig slightly past here.  (I can't remember when Porky Pig ended, exactly, relative to Looney Tunes.)  And as far as I know, there have only been two non-reprint stories with MJ & S since Dell stopped; the very first Gold Key Bugs Bunny has one last story and then the DC Looney Tunes series had a story with them in issue #140, I think.  Given that my major reason for collection the Looney Tunes comic is Mary Jane & Sniffles, their disappearance marks the beginning of the end for the series, even if I do have the rest of the Dell run.

LT_238.jpg

LT_238g.jpg

8 hours ago, OtherEric said:

239 and 240.  They're really going for the same few gags with slight variations the last couple years of the run, aren't they?  Although I do love the expressions of both Porky and Elmer on the 239.

LT_239.jpg

LT_240.jpg

Another one of the funny ' Elmer bald head' gag covers. And you're right, the expressions are funny. 

I belive 240 is debated as the first 'PePe LePew' appearance in comics. 

15 hours ago, sagii said:

Another one of the funny ' Elmer bald head' gag covers. And you're right, the expressions are funny. 

I belive 240 is debated as the first 'PePe LePew' appearance in comics. 

I didn't know that about the 240, I'll have to pull it out and take a look.  Why is it debated?

241 and 242

LT_241.jpg

LT_242.jpg