• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You know, we could sit here and point fingers all day...

267 posts in this topic

I really dislike the acceptance of PM purchases, for this reason.

I have always felt that all purchases should be consumated in the thread.

ie; PM deals are fine. But buyer or seller MUST post :takeit: or "SOLD! per PM", in the thread to finalize the deal. Until such is posted, there is no deal. Therefore everyone knows what is available and what is not.

Eliminating any question of impropriety on the sellers part.

The way I handled this was to state that PMs don't win the book until I am able to post the book was purchased. If someone beats my post that the book was no longer available, they win.

This is wild. If I'm discussing a book with a buyer and we agree to terms and I say in that PM something like 'OK, we have a deal'....we have a deal, period. I've told you that we have a deal. I don't care how long it takes me to post it in the thread that the book is sold. And, if you (I'm using the "collective" you...not you personally) want to question my propriety surrounding such action, go find your nearest beach, dump some sand on your head, and pound it. 2c

Of course, I make this clear in my sales thread rules.

So what happens if you start PM at 1101, guy responds to you at 1103 and you finalize it at 1105, but meanwhile someone hits the I'll take it at 1104.

definitely some consistent rule needs to be agreed on.

Like 'no matter what negotiations may be going on, an :takeit: in thread trumps anything'.

ie; PM deals are fine. But buyer or seller MUST post :takeit: or "SOLD! per PM", in the thread to finalize the deal. Until such is posted, there is no deal. Therefore everyone knows what is available and what is not.

The way I handled this was to state that PMs don't win the book until I am able to post the book was purchased. If someone beats my post that the book was no longer available, they win.

This is wild. If I'm discussing a book with a buyer and we agree to terms and I say in that PM something like 'OK, we have a deal'....we have a deal, period. I've told you that we have a deal. I don't care how long it takes me to post it in the thread that the book is sold. And, if you (I'm using the "collective" you...not you personally) want to question my propriety surrounding such action, go find your nearest beach, dump some sand on your head, and pound it. 2c

So what happens if you start PM at 1101, guy responds to you at 1103 and you finalize it at 1105, but meanwhile someone hits the I'll take it at 1104.

You'll need to be more specific...what exactly was said at 1101 and 1103? General principle...if the terms weren't agreed to before 1104, the thread poster wins at 1104.

Like 'no matter what negotiations may be going on, an :takeit: in thread trumps anything'.

^^

Those 2-3 minutes that are spent haggling out a lower price are the risk you take when somebody else comes along and grabs it by taking it in the sales thread.

Yep

We're done here

Hi Wally! What's new? :shy:

same 'ol, same 'ol...

I'm 'bout ready to have an ice cold pepsi in da bottle

with maybe some peanuts in it!

:cloud9:

Okay I'm intrigued after googling this and I'm trying it! How many peanuts are recommended?

(It's a Friday thread so I feel this is a fair question)

In regards to the sale. I have no reason to doubt it was not sold via PM. I do not feel anyone has the right to jump the gun without proof either. These things do happen. I've yet to witness such a reaction over a situation such as this when it is not on a well below guide priced book.

I personally do not think the rules need to be adjusted to mandate a :takeit: within the sales thread. Some buyers do not wish to have the book they are buying or the price they are paying made public. I respect that and see no reason to change the rules in that way. It does not seam fair to the sellers also to try and force them to race to a listing to post "Sold via PM".

Some sales threads on here move extremely fast with books being listed and purchased it would force people to lose the anonymity they are comfortable with and sales to slow to a crawl. I highly doubt high volume sellers would feel it is worth the time and move elsewhere.

Hi Wally! What's new? :shy:

same 'ol, same 'ol...

I'm 'bout ready to have an ice cold pepsi in da bottle

with maybe some peanuts in it!

:cloud9:

Okay I'm intrigued after googling this and I'm trying it! How many peanuts are recommended?

(It's a Friday thread so I feel this is a fair question)

In regards to the sale. I have no reason to doubt it was not sold via PM. I do not feel anyone has the right to jump the gun without proof either. These things do happen. I've yet to witness such a reaction over a situation such as this when it is not on a well below guide priced book.

I personally do not think the rules need to be adjusted to mandate a :takeit: within the sales thread. Some buyers do not wish to have the book they are buying or the price they are paying made public. I respect that and see no reason to change the rules in that way. It does not seam fair to the sellers also to try and force them to race to a listing to post "Sold via PM".

Some sales threads on here move extremely fast with books being listed and purchased it would force people to lose the anonymity they are comfortable with and sales to slow to a crawl. I highly doubt high volume sellers would feel it is worth the time and move elsewhere.

This is logical but keeping the anonymity factor means there will always be butthurt. We have to choose one or the other.

^^

"Negotiations still going on" and "terms agreed to" are apples and oranges. If negotiations are still ongoing, terms have not been agreed to, and the thread poster wins.Not complicated.

My admin assistant at work is incompetent...is this a good place to vent those grievances?

I'm with greggy. Quit whining and move on. If you don't trust the seller enough for him or her to say the book already sold, you shouldn't be posting in his thread anyways.

What I really don't like is the sense of entitlement here on the boards. Why does all this butthurt ensue? Because a $250-$300 comic got listed for $90. Of course, everyone would be breaking their wrists to post the :takeit: who has any inkling of the market for the book. But why does it entitle you to the book? Personally, I'd hope the seller would come through with the sale, but I'd let him out of it if he asked. There's meat on the bone, then there's MEAT on the bone. And then to vilify a boardie just because he says it was a nice buy? Come on. So much butthurt over a few dollars. You're not 'entitled' to anything. You get what you get. Quit whining, dorks.

^^

"Negotiations still going on" and "terms agreed to" are apples and oranges. If negotiations are still ongoing, terms have not been agreed to, and the thread poster wins.Not complicated.

My admin assistant at work is incompetent...is this a good place to vent those grievances?

An :takeit: in thread trumps anything that occurs in PM.

I got this thread saved and when the day comes where so many folks are saying "whiner this and whiner that" have massive butthurt over a sour deal I'll gleefully point to it...

This aint a Hoedown, it's a Hootenanny!

:whee:

trap.png

^^

An :takeit: in thread trumps anything that occurs in PM.

I love how I've never seen kav buy or sell anything on the boards yet he's the foremost authority on buying and selling. lol

Those 2-3 minutes that are spent haggling out a lower price are the risk you take when somebody else comes along and grabs it by taking it in the sales thread.

BINGO