• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s MOON KNIGHT series starring Oscar Isaac (2022)
7 7

563 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2022 at 6:09 PM, Sauce Dog said:

So, serious question: How long do you think until Disney censors Moon Knight like they are doing with Falcon & The Winter Soldier right now (both shows were rated TV-14)?  

https://thedirect.com/article/disney-falcon-winter-soldier-censored-photos

Yeah, there were a few pretty graphic shots. I think TV-14 is the right rating. It is bizarre that they are censoring F&TWS, yet they let other stuff through. 

On 3/30/2022 at 8:42 AM, fantastic_four said:

I know pretty much nothing about Moon Knight other than having heard of him, seen him guest-star in the titles I read for 4+ decades, and having generally heard him described as a supernatural Batman.  Saw the first episode and I'm digging it.

That’s where I’m at exactly. I’m gathering from reading some of the comments here that the main character has mental illness. But from my watching the show I got the impression that he has complete control of his faculties but he’s possessed. I don’t see this as an insult on those with mental illness unless they also are possessed. 

Edited by Westy Steve

I enjoyed the first episode. I think Isaac is perfectly cast so far. I can see how this show might be a little less reachable for some people who are not familiar with Moon Knight. His multiple personalities, a quasi-batman, Egyptian stuff all combined does him a character that less accessible compared to other comic characters. My wife watched the show and had a lot of questions. Unlike Wanda, she could wrap her head around, "OK, she has witch powers," or "Vision, he's a robot of some sort." (Yes, us comic fans know Vision is not a robot, but he's grounded in something more concrete than a guy who thinks he's possessed by an Egyptian god.)  I think my wife, and other people like her, will come around if the TV show keeps it momentum.

On 3/31/2022 at 7:33 AM, Rodey said:

I enjoyed the first episode. I think Isaac is perfectly cast so far. I can see how this show might be a little less reachable for some people who are not familiar with Moon Knight. His multiple personalities, a quasi-batman, Egyptian stuff all combined does him a character that less accessible compared to other comic characters. My wife watched the show and had a lot of questions. Unlike Wanda, she could wrap her head around, "OK, she has witch powers," or "Vision, he's a robot of some sort." (Yes, us comic fans know Vision is not a robot, but he's grounded in something more concrete than a guy who thinks he's possessed by an Egyptian god.)  I think my wife, and other people like her, will come around if the TV show keeps it momentum.

Six episodes, though. So we are now 17% through Season One.

I like short seasons 8-13 episodes) to keep us excited for more. But these shorter MCU schedules can lead to possible slight dissatisfaction.

We'll see how this keeps the momentum going.

Moon Knight is the rare Marvel character I'm not familiar with.

I really liked the first episode.  However, I don't think I can handle 5 more episodes of this much schizophrenia.  I started to feel like I had schizophrenia (which might have been intended by the creators).  Will he become more grounded in one personality at some point.  Otherwise, the multiple personality trope is going to wear thin for me.

On 3/31/2022 at 8:37 AM, Bosco685 said:

But these shorter MCU schedules can lead to possible slight dissatisfaction.

WandaVision proved (to me) that Marvel Studios does not know how to stretch a plot into more than 4-5 hours without boring the out of me. Hel, their other shows proved (again, to me) that they can't even fill out 6 episodes with proper storytelling to validate the episodic nature of their TV shows.

Why don't they just make 2-part movies for Disney+? Or just contract these seasons to 4 episodes and tell a fully-realized story without pointless/endless side plots?

It seems to me that they just want to attack the competition without being fully prepared to do so. Not to say that the shows don't have value, but they could have been better off.

On 3/30/2022 at 5:05 PM, Westy Steve said:

In my humble opinion, the quality of that show was the highest we’ve seen out of Disney+.

Try 'Umbrella Academy' season 1 that is excellent and also based on a comic, and was directed by the same director as Moon Knight episodes 1, 5, 6.

On 3/31/2022 at 9:46 AM, gadzukes said:

Moon Knight is the rare Marvel character I'm not familiar with.

I really liked the first episode.  However, I don't think I can handle 5 more episodes of this much schizophrenia.  I started to feel like I had schizophrenia (which might have been intended by the creators).  Will he become more grounded in one personality at some point.  Otherwise, the multiple personality trope is going to wear thin for me.

They clearly wanted us to feel is disorientated as Grant does when waking in a new situation, which I think they did very well - but just fyi, Moon Knight doesn't have Schizophrenia - it's Dissociative identity disorder (DID). In the past it was common to misdiagnose DID for Schizophrenia though when there was less understanding (as doctors would dismiss the identities as being delusions). 

Schizophrenia is a condition marked by disturbances in thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. Dissociative disorders are characterized by problems with the continuity of memories, thoughts, identity, and actions that result in a disconnection from reality.

On 3/30/2022 at 9:50 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Almost a perfect episode.  The only thing I wish was...

Hide contents

an extra few minutes and more action at the end (i.e. not the action tease we got). 

Yeah, I get that since we were in Steven's point of view, they wouldn't show the action bits when Marc takes over. But when we finally get the Marc reveal at the end, cutting away from the action felt really lame to me. Kinda soured me on the episode as a whole.