• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s MOON KNIGHT series starring Oscar Isaac (2022)
7 7

563 posts in this topic

Odd. I just saw "review" of the first 4 episodes and one of the main complaints was that it didn't really dive into the Egypt representation as much as Shang Shi did with Asian representation. The reason why I think it's an odd take is because I have read two runs of Moon Knight and never encountered the Egypt theme. I get that the hero has an Egyptian entity within him but that's just the origin of his powers, I never felt it defined the character and stories it should tell more than that. It never read that way. So I didn't expect much in terms of Egyptian iconongraphy, nor representation. Especially since Ancient Egypt and Modern day Egypt are very different, just like Ancient Rome and modern day Rome are. So I guess I'm in for a good time since I never had such expectations ever since I knew we'd get a moonknight show. 

There's also criticism on how mental illness is portrayed but as a fan of Batman and his rogues gallery I've been through it all before.

So I just watch a spoiler free review for the first episode.  They said it was confusing and viewers needs to have patience as the future episodes will (hopefully) make things more clear.

I understand Moon Knight isn't the typical superhero and might not be easy for some to understand.  So if there is ONE concern...I really hope this doesn't get as complicated as Legion.  That's a show I couldn't wrap my head around even after giving it multiple chances.

***BTW...I never understood the "Batman of the Marvel universe"(shrug)

I know pretty much nothing about Moon Knight other than having heard of him, seen him guest-star in the titles I read for 4+ decades, and having generally heard him described as a supernatural Batman.  Saw the first episode and I'm digging it.

On 3/30/2022 at 9:30 AM, thunsicker said:

It was a good first episode.  I assume the other episodes will have more Moon Knight and less Steven Grant.

Who is this Steven Grant guy?  All I knew before this episode is that Moon Knight's real name is Mark Spectre.  I'm sure the show will explain it and am pretty sure that they didn't do that this episode, but that's a detail I don't mind having spoiled for me from the comics, assuming Steven Grant is there as well.  Was that identity always a part of the character, or is it a more recent revision?

On 3/30/2022 at 9:42 AM, fantastic_four said:

Who is this Steven Grant guy?  All I knew before this episode is that Moon Knight's real name is Mark Spectre.  I'm sure the show will explain it and am pretty sure that they didn't do that this episode, but that's a detail I don't mind having spoiled for me from the comics, assuming Steven Grant is there as well.  Was that identity always a part of the character, or is it a more recent revision?

He's one of his personas as seen on the cover of Moon Knight #1 (for ex)  On that cover he's the one in the tux

Good first episode, with decent pacing and time spent with the personas rather then getting right into the costume (I hope the next episode also features little of the actual MK persona as they explore Grants identities and as he learns about the entire situation he is in before really getting into the supernatural stuff).

I think the only scene that felt off to me was the car chase escape. I understand it was meant to bring absurdity to the situation (which help Grant accept it really was all just a dream in retrospect) but it just felt like it undercut any sense of action or tension (especially the soundtrack - we get it, he's the 'insufficiently_thoughtful_person' that is out of his element, no need to go full Zoolander trying to spell it out for us)

Edited by Sauce Dog

Great 1st episode. It felt different which is really nice. The humor was better than normal as well.

I was expecting it to be super confusing or possibly really weird in a bad way, but actually it seemed to flow really well.

Big thumbs up!

Edited by Rip

On 3/30/2022 at 11:27 AM, Rip said:

Great 1st episode. It felt different which is really nice. The humor was better than normal as well.

I was expecting it to be super confusing or possibly really weird in a bad way, but actually it seemed to flow really well.

Big thumbs up!

Will watch tonight.  Oscar Isaac is a good actor. 

My Minor Spoiler Review

Spoiler

Moon Knight feels like it's playing it too safe.

I give Episode 1 a 'B'.

Ethan Hawke is electric as the villain cult leader. This has the potential to be a Kingpin-level villain performance. Oscar Isaac's performance was a bit too corny for me. I wish they had played it more straight with regard to the protagonist's mental illness.

The Egyptian designs of the creatures are really cool, and the effects are well-executed. I hope they delve into the backstory more. It is notable that Mohamed Diab, the director of this episode, is Egyptian.

The overall mystery so far seems simplistic, even compared to recent MCU shows like Loki and WandaVision. (If you're watching Severence on AppleTV+ right now, there are a lot of similarities to the concept, but it takes more risks.) A lot will depend on whether this is just a 6-episode mini-series, or a longer show with multiple seasons. One thing I liked about Loki was that it threw so many wild concepts and story ideas out there.

I hope they keep pushing the visual style toward the comics. Thanks to Bill Sienkiewicz, Moon Knight has some of the most iconic, visually stunning art of any comic. I like the European locations in the show, but beyond that it seemed like standard MCU filmmaking. Specifically, the end credits are lame! How do you not hire Bill Sienkiewicz to do some original art for the show? The production paintings in the Mandalorian credits are one of the best parts. If Bill is not available, just re-use/animate some of his art. Huge miss.

Edited by adampasz