• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s MOON KNIGHT series starring Oscar Isaac (2022)
7 7

563 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2022 at 2:53 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Oscar Isaac is turning out some interesting performances

He sure is. If he didn’t choose acting, I contend he could have been a CIA agent. 

On 4/9/2022 at 6:30 AM, awakeintheashes said:
On 4/9/2022 at 1:53 AM, Randall Dowling said:

Oscar Isaac is turning out some interesting performances

He sure is. If he didn’t choose acting, I contend he could have been a CIA agent.

206639886_WhyNotBoth.gif.e340fae849615ba639972e1772e98608.gif.71e176a9b40a64c66883999e235d2128.gif

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
CIA scrubbing in 3...2..1.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:59 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

206639886_WhyNotBoth.gif.e340fae849615ba639972e1772e98608.gif.71e176a9b40a64c66883999e235d2128.gif

lol

Ever since Lewin Davis, I thought he’d be the perfect candidate, based on people I “knew” during my decade in DC. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

Prior to this, I had only seen the MCU movies and nothing else.  I hadn't seen a few of the newest movies, so I recently went back and watched all of the movies in chronological order (not release order) and decided to try one of the TV series now.  Just watched both episodes of Moon Knight and I liked them.  Didn't have much to compare the material against, so it was all new to me.....if a bit confusing.  I do have a few of the old Moon Knight comics from back in the 80's (?) stored somewhere in my collection, but I don't really remember anything from them.

So.....here are my thoughts.  

First....am I the only one who likes his costume?  This all has to do with Egyptian gods.....so I thought the wrapped mummy look of his costume was a cool idea, and I kind of like the look of it.  

Second.....is Steven not the original identity for this body?  I thought it was at first, and that Marc just "possesses" him at times in order to carry out his duties for the god he's serving.  But, now I'm thinking he's not.....especially after thinking back over the two episodes and after reading some of this thread where it's mentioned his accent is fake because he's really Marc from Chicago.  So is Marc the actual original identity for him then.......and the Steven personality is fairly new.....which would explain why his wife hasn't been able to find him for several months? 

Someone in here also questioned who Steven is talking to (or is he just leaving messages) when he's on the phone with his mother.  I did notice that he seems to say "later gator" when he's hanging up the phone with her.  The other Egyptian god has a crocodile head......so I didn't know if it may be posing as his mother to try to manipulate him.....but that seems like a pretty big stretch.  It's been a little confusing for me, since I don't remember anything from the old comic books.

Third.....I recently read an article that mentioned an Easter egg in the first episode seems to indicate Moon Knight does exist in the larger MCU movie universe.  When Steven was trying to stay awake by reading books.....there are apparently two books that point to this.  On one of the books, you can see that Asgard is mentioned.  Although that is part of known mythology outside of the MCU universe.  The second one, however, mentions Wakanda.....which does not exist outside of the MCU universe.  I haven't read all of this thread, so this may have been mentioned previously.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 4/11/2022 at 6:23 PM, Domo Arigato said:

So.....here are my thoughts.  

First....am I the only one who likes his costume?  This all has to do with Egyptian gods.....so I thought the wrapped mummy look of his costume was a cool idea, and I kind of like the look of it.  

Second.....is Steven not the original identity for this body?  I thought it was at first, and that Marc just "possesses" him at times in order to carry out his duties for the god he's serving.  But, now I'm thinking he's not.....especially after thinking back over the two episodes and after reading some of this thread where it's mentioned his accent is fake because he's really Marc from Chicago.  So is Marc the actual original identity for him then.......and the Steven personality is fairly new.....which would explain why his wife hasn't been able to find him for several months? 

Someone in here also questioned who Steven is talking to (or is he just leaving messages) when he's on the phone with his mother.  I did notice that he seems to say "later gator" when he's hanging up the phone with her.  The other Egyptian god has a crocodile head......so I didn't know if it may be posing as his mother to try to manipulate him.....but that seems like a pretty big stretch.  It's been a little confusing for me, since I don't remember anything from the old comic books.

Third.....I recently read an article that mentioned an Easter egg in the first episode seems to indicate Moon Knight does exist in the larger MCU movie universe.  When Steven was trying to stay awake by reading books.....there are apparently two books that point to this.  On one of the books, you can see that Asgard is mentioned.  Although that is part of known mythology outside of the MCU universe.  The second one, however, mentions Wakanda.....which does not exist outside of the MCU universe.  I haven't real all of this thread, so this may have been mentioned previously.

I also love his costume, and adding more explicit Egyptian details to it is exactly why I always loved the often lambasted Fist of Khonshu version with its iconography and gold accessories.

Steven is not the original body even in the comics, Marc was the first. Pay close attention to the personality traits and interests of Steven and compare them to Marc's wife - they share many ideal traits which suggests Marc felt guilty about not being the perfect guy for her and so has imbued Steven with the qualities he perceives as better (being a vegan, love of her favourite authors and poets, French speaking, passive / non-violent etc).

What is going on with Steven's mother is still up for debate, but all signs seem to point to either he isn't talking to anyone and its part of his delusion or it is a plant by Marc or Jake to allow him to function and live a normal life.

Totally possible and there zero reason to think it isn't connected to the MCU. Other MCU movies have already mentioned there are text books for Asgard (Spider-Man talks about having to study Thor in physics class now). 

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 4/11/2022 at 7:26 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Steven is not the original body even in the comics, Marc was the first. Pay close attention to the personality traits and interests of Steven and compare them to Marc's wife - they share many ideal traits which suggests Marc felt guilty about not being the perfect guy for her and so has imbued Steven with the qualities he perceives as better (being a vegan, love of her favourite authors and poets, French speaking, passive / non-violent etc).

Now that you reminded me of those things, it does make more sense now. 

Thanks!

On 4/13/2022 at 5:18 AM, Bosco685 said:

But story wise, we are now 50% through a 6-episode series. And it still feels like it hasn't moved along enough. But that's me.

keep this up and the mouse will hit the notify button on your posts

Episode 3 is thus far the weakest of the bunch, it really didn't seem to have much weight or sense of urgency/danger to anything.

The trial scene was abysmal, in that it literally offered nothing to the story or the characters while also being poorly executed (So neither Marc or Khonshu couldn't maybe mention Harrow being in possession of the scarab or having his entire cult digging on site? or, I dunno, maybe point out the tattoo he has in plain view!. The only thing it seemed to do is answer the audiences question of why the gods don't do anything - and for that we get the lazy Eternals answer 'we won't interfere with humans' - expand on that please, no more lazy one liners to brush aside such big things).

The fight at the end was...boring. I think this is in part due to my expectations being raised from hearing people touting it as being one of the best fight scenes since Daredevil...so anyone who has heard that needs to kick that idea out of their brain ASAP. It ain't anywhere close to that level. Moon Knight does very little actual fight choreography (most of the action is CGI and the switches between practical suit to CGI can be felt and breaks up the cohesion of the moment), and never real feels like their is any danger or actual stakes at risk outside of Layla in danger at the end (who did have better close combat choreography, so was the best part overall). Overall the episode lacked meaningful action, that is, events to propel the story forward in a meaningful & interesting way.

On the plus side, the performances are great. I've found every one, even smaller character roles, well done without any single person sticking out like a total mis-cast.

Edited by Sauce Dog

Wow this show is bad

lets have an honest discussion here folks aka stop making excuses and call it for what it is 

i have zero interest in these characters or what happens if they fail

bad scripting up to this point 

I’ve never read a moon knight comic and I guess I never will 

Edited by jsilverjanet

From Scott Mendelson 

The fourth episode does involve two “plot twists,” one of which is so common among fantasy television shows that I’m surprised it took Marvel this long. A last-minute rug-pull can’t justify a solid pilot and three wheel-spinning episodes, especially when most of what was promised in terms of making Moon Knight unique is somewhat disposed of in episode one. I’ll hope for the best, but even the more promising Disney+ shows (WandaVision, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier) failed to stick the landing. Hawkeye is the most consistently good of the bunch, so we’ll see if Moon Knight can offer a bigger climactic high to compensate for its initial lows. A strong central performance notwithstanding, this is Marvel’s first front-to-back Disney+ whiff.

I watched episode 2 and half of episode 3 last night.

While I'm enjoying Oscar Isaac's performance (and Ethan Hawke's), the overall show is unexpectedly unsatisfying.

I can't say "bad" per se, but the overwhelming feeling I get is it's a C-list show befitting a C-list character (which, frankly, Moon Knight's always been).

Wish I still had one of my copies of the 1980 # 1 to re-read so I could review his standard identities (are we up to 3 now?), but overall...I'm not feeling compelled to finish this.

Last night, it even occurred to me that it'd be more interesting to be watching a Deathstroke show instead (based on the early 90s Zeck run).