• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s MOON KNIGHT series starring Oscar Isaac (2022)
7 7

563 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2022 at 9:34 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Finally had a chance to discuss it with a few comic friends last night. This might be the first MCU release outside of big event films (like Infinity War/Endgame) where everyone was positive about it overall (with various minor quibbles here that are too be expected of every release). I think I liked it more than most, nostalgic Moon Knight bias of course, but structurally felt like one of the more solid offerings (some questionable CGI and odd music cues, but otherwise the bones were solid and pacing was good so that any surface level aesthetic issues felt minor)

Yes, it did feel more solid. It felt like an actual TV pilot, where you must have the audience come back for episode 2. And that makes sense, it's the furst Disney plus show to not feature established characters.

I really wanted to like it, and thought the acting was great, but it was driving me nuts that everytime something starts to happen, Steven blacks out, and we cut to the aftermath. I get it's a stylistic choice and doing it once would work, but it got frustrating and seemed more like a budget decision to keep the costs down by not shooting the exciting parts.

On 4/6/2022 at 11:08 AM, D84 said:

I really wanted to like it, and thought the acting was great, but it was driving me nuts that everytime something starts to happen, Steven blacks out, and we cut to the aftermath. I get it's a stylistic choice and doing it once would work, but it got frustrating and seemed more like a budget decision to keep the costs down by not shooting the exciting parts.

that's how I feel as well. You feel that tv budget seeping. Could have made for a fun movie.

Episode 2 certainly made some unique...choices...for the character; a few of which I'm sure a good deal of comic fans are not going to like for a variety of reasons (I like the reasoning behind it though, so I'm fine with the change). I do like how it is shifting to focusing to time with Marc now though, and find the amount of 'costume' screen time decent as it clearly feels they are building it up more and more each episode.

Main complaint though is I really wish they stuck with the idea of it all being in Stevens head much longer before giving him a massive exposition dump. I get people nearby will think he is crazy since they cannot see the beasts he battles, but it would have been nice for him to doubt the reality of that longer and struggle with all of this supernatural stuff not being something in his head. 

On 4/6/2022 at 4:16 AM, Bosco685 said:

Action-packed episode but still with enough mystery to keep you guessing.

Or as some would say "THE GREATEST MCU PRODUCTION EVER. THE MCU IS BACK, BABY!"

(:

I thought episode 2 was zzz

On 4/6/2022 at 9:39 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Episode 2 certainly made some unique...choices...for the character; a few of which I'm sure a good deal of comic fans are not going to like for a variety of reasons (I like the reasoning behind it though, so I'm fine with the change). I do like how it is shifting to focusing to time with Marc now though, and find the amount of 'costume' screen time decent as it clearly feels they are building it up more and more each episode.

Main complaint though is I really wish they stuck with the idea of it all being in Stevens head much longer before giving him a massive exposition dump. I get people nearby will think he is crazy since they cannot see the beasts he battles, but it would have been nice for him to doubt the reality of that longer and struggle with all of this supernatural stuff not being something in his head. 

While I get that complaint, I was also being really antsy about the whole thing. I wanted the costumed fisticuffs! And I feel this episode delivered on that in a really fun and interesting way. I read some Moonknight and this whole Steven thing was very new to me so it was like understanding the character through new eyes. I really liked this episode. I can't believe it was just short of an hour since it felt like it just flew by for me. I have not experienced that in a long time.

Mini rant time!

So, I'm starting to see one worry about the series start to manifest in the fandom. On the surface the show has handled mental illness fairly well, however the bar was pretty much set at a low expectation of "don't cause more harm by painting the mentally ill as crazy or evil" and they thus far has managed to do alright. This isn't a slight against the show writers, they have not done anything explicitly bad - however it is often important to talk about a potential that wasn't utilized, and the impact of not doing so actually subtly perpetuating misinformation or harm. 

The issue is discussion around Moon Knight, across all sites and in comic shops, continue to use schizophrenia as the go-to terminology for what he has as the show has not taken the time to clearly state what Steven suffers from. Memes being created around the show all default to using it to describe MK (due to what I believe is that simply they don't know better - which is 100% understandable, even some writers on the comics continue to fall back to using this term), and thus continue to perpetuate incorrect and sometimes harmful ideas about mental illness.

Yes, people with schizophrenia and dissociative disorders may experience some similar symptoms but lumping them together only causes further confusion, potential harm, and possibly stifle any new understanding of mental illness by the general public (a public that if informed can perhaps even recognize and help others in their lives that might have such disorder, because the treatments for schizophrenia and dissociative disorders are specific to the condition, it is essential to get an appropriate diagnosis and not mistake one for the other. Numbers wise, schizophrenia affects around 1% of Americans, and worldwide is equates to just over 21 million people, but dissociative disorders affect 2.4% of Americans) 

We have seen that if you present a complex new idea to viewers that they pick up on it quickly if it is laid out well, and often love sharing that they know this new information. An excellent example of this is the Ship of Theseus as presented in Wanda Vision! Now we have lots of the general public aware of this philosphical thought experiment - demonstrating the audience isn't stupid! If the show took some time to explicitly say what he suffers from in no uncertain terms, perhaps even Steven correcting someone else calling him schizo (the job firing scene would have been perfect for this!), we might start to see people adjusting their lexicon. Getting people on the right page with terminology is important to further discussion around any topic, I know because this comes up often in my life for a variety of things - including but not limited to mental illness. 

I also recognize they might explicitly spell it out in a future episode, but I feel this was something best to get out in the open from the start so that an audience new to MK can start to process and absorb early - especially when you are dealing with a character that is outright known to be THE go-to example of a mentally ill superhero.

Screenshot_20220407-070632_Reddit.thumb.jpg.a8d9e1a3e56577b94ec7f9b64b53b34e.jpg.5123862c659fd3c12ff2237d8771083a.jpg

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 4/6/2022 at 11:08 AM, D84 said:

Fair point. I took notice of that, as well, but still enjoyed the pilot a lot.

I will definitely get tired of that if it continues to happen often.

On 4/7/2022 at 12:44 PM, Bosco685 said:

Hawkeye Ep1 was actually good. As was Loki.

Both were great starts, and I don't think we've seen a outright 'bad' start to any of the MCU series. I feel Moon Knight hits a little different and comes across as 'better' simply due to it being a fresh new character that is free from heaps of MCU connections and expectations. 

On 4/7/2022 at 6:25 PM, Rodey said:

2nd episode was fun. Some cool Easter eggs. During the fight sequence there is an aerial view. On the top of the bus is WBN 32.

also when he finds the Storage unit. There is a QR code on the door before he opens it. I scanned it and goes to a marvel unlimited and you can read a free issue of WBN 33. Kinda cool

such a great little easter egg on top of that bus! i love this show so far. really different from any other marvel stuff and so well done. 

Like others, I enjoyed the second episode better than the first.  It's promising so I'll keep watching a while longer.  Oscar Isaac is turning out some interesting performances and Ethan Hawke (who I usually can't stand) is putting out a reasonably non-damaging performance.

On 4/6/2022 at 9:27 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I thought episode 2 was zzz

I have to agree here. I've wanted to like it soooo bad. It just falls flat EVERYWHERE. Other than feeling like a Venom rip off, it also astonished me how bad of an actor Isaac is in this show. It's just beneath him, and I can't stand it. Hopefully, it doesn't permanently damage his career.