• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

I'm going to try for a 8.5 or better run of bark books. Which will keep me busy for years to come. As of right now these two books set me back for while. So no new purchases for a bit.

Of course money talks also, so if someone offers me an offer I can't refuse. LOL.

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

There's been a noticeable spurt in the prices of high-grade books with Barks covers for which he didn't do the interior art. Not sure whether it's two bidder competing for highest graded copies, but those issues used to, I think, be considered clearly in the second rank and typically sold at a discount. For instance, I bought this some years ago for significantly less than I probably would have had to pay for an FC with Barks interior art in a lower grade. 

RADDF54D20141118_114834.jpeg

I agree, seems like the Higher graded barks books seems undervalued still. IMO. I do believe we will see a markup soon.
I believe it might have more to do with you can't find anything else for a good price at the moment in High Grade. Now people are looking toward non Marvel books now. Which is great for us, as people will learn more about barks and how collective and undervalued his work is.

The Price Guide states that five copies of the Complimentary Copy of WDCS #4 are known, making it the rarest duck book known.  The Price Guide lists it at about a 50% premium to a regular copy of WDCS #4.  Some people think it is worth less, some people think it is worth more, what do you think?  I thought it would be interesting to see what a you think as most of you are active collectors. 

WDCS #4 Complimentary Copy.jpg

1 hour ago, Yellow Kid said:

The Price Guide states that five copies of the Complimentary Copy of WDCS #4 are known, making it the rarest duck book known.  The Price Guide lists it at about a 50% premium to a regular copy of WDCS #4.  Some people think it is worth less, some people think it is worth more, what do you think?  I thought it would be interesting to see what a you think as most of you are active collectors. 

Now that is one rare duck! I would say it's worth more, how much more I really couldn't say. I wouldn't be surprised for double the price.

4 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Well I guess it would be up to the market Rich and finding the duck collector who had to have every known issue. Somehow I also think it would be worth more if so few copies are available. Too bad Erasmus Grier Fowler didn't hold onto his copy!

It all depends on timing, if all the big money players are involved and start a bidding war, sky's the limit... Especially with proper promotion of the rarity of such a book in like those fancy Heritage catalogues.

5 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Well, the CGC census has five copies, the highest being a 4.0. If they are all different copies (probably true given the low grades) then your raw copy makes it at least six. I don't doubt that it's rare, but one lesson from the internet age is that yesterday's "five copies only" can be a significant underestimate of the population.

Heritage seem to have sold one copy, back in 2011. That 2.5 sold for $1,314 and the nearest sales for a regular copy were $167 for a 2.0 in late 2010 and a couple of 1.8s that sold for $286 and $215 first quarter 2012. Based on that admittedly small data set, the premium seems to be a lot more than 50%.

I have always been drawn to rarity like a moth to a flame.  Because of that I have noticed that when a book is indicated as rare in the  Price Guide, it is quite common for the CGC Census to only list at most half of the population.  The easy explanation is that older collectors rarely submit their books for grading.  In the case of the WDCS #4 CC, I have one friend with a book in the Census and another friend who has a raw copy.  So now there are at least seven copies in the hobby and we both suspect there are more than that. It is still very rare and deserving of a nice premium.

On 5/30/2021 at 4:02 PM, Yellow Kid said:

I would pay a premium and it would go into my Duckburgium vault. :) 

On 5/30/2021 at 5:06 PM, Sqeggs said:

There's been a noticeable spurt in the prices of high-grade books with Barks covers for which he didn't do the interior art. Not sure whether it's two bidder competing for highest graded copies, but those issues used to, I think, be considered clearly in the second rank and typically sold at a discount. For instance, I bought this some years ago for significantly less than I probably would have had to pay for an FC with Barks interior art in a lower grade. 

RADDF54D20141118_114834.jpeg

When I sold my 9.4 about 10 years ago, it was the highest graded copy.  I think there is now 1 9.6.  Either way, I still regret not holding onto that one.  

39 minutes ago, Yellow Kid said:

As long as there are at least two serious bidders, it will be the kind of auction that sellers dream of, and I have no doubt that it will bring a record high price for that issue.  

:wishluck:

On 5/31/2021 at 5:10 PM, Yellow Kid said:

I have always been drawn to rarity like a moth to a flame.  Because of that I have noticed that when a book is indicated as rare in the  Price Guide, it is quite common for the CGC Census to only list at most half of the population.  The easy explanation is that older collectors rarely submit their books for grading.  In the case of the WDCS #4 CC, I have one friend with a book in the Census and another friend who has a raw copy.  So now there are at least seven copies in the hobby and we both suspect there are more than that. It is still very rare and deserving of a nice premium.

Me, too. I would love to have a copy and would be willing to chase one at auction, although probably not high enough to win it. 

7 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:
14 hours ago, dikran1 said:

Any predictions on the final hammer of the 9.6 FC178 on Heritage?

That's a real pretty copy. This thread had started off page 1 with a beautiful copy of FC 178 that I wanted to compare; but alas the link is gone.

It's the same book.  It's been locked up in a collection since 2002.

42 minutes ago, tth2 said:

It's the same book.  It's been locked up in a collection since 2002.

Flipper  :baiting:

On 6/1/2021 at 7:10 AM, Yellow Kid said:

The copy photographed by Gerber might be another one. It's a bit hard to tell from the picture in the book, but it looks like it might well be better than the census high 4.0