• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

On 7/21/2021 at 8:23 AM, AJD said:

Could be Frank. It's also in Barrier's book 'Carl Barks and the art of the comic book'. (p.68 in my paperback copy.)

He also mentions that there are realistic humans in 'The magic hourglass'.

Totally forgot about that. Good deal! Now I have a reason to go reread that story. :) 

On 7/21/2021 at 7:22 AM, Badger said:

308.jpg

Really love the color of the bull. Barks was a master at using color and shading to comunicate and enhance moods.

I wonder if he actually did the color on these covers? I've never seen color proofs from these books and I wonder if he had the time to do that with all his other work.

On 7/21/2021 at 11:27 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I wonder if he actually did the color on these covers? I've never seen color proofs from these books and I wonder if he had the time to do that with all his other work.

That's an interesting question. I assumed he did it all. The pencil and ink pages I've seen do not look like anyone else has touched them and the colors, in the printed comics, match his choices in his paintings. If he did not do, or at least request, specific coloring I would think there would be times when he would have done new color ideas on his later interpretations. Aw, if only he was still alive. :( 

On 7/21/2021 at 9:46 AM, Badger said:

That's an interesting question. I assumed he did it all. The pencil and ink pages I've seen do not look like anyone else has touched them and the colors, in the printed comics, match his choices in his paintings. If he did not do, or at least request, specific coloring I would think there would be times when he would have done new color ideas on his later interpretations. Aw, if only he was still alive. :( 

Western was in the production business and typically the artist would hand in his black and white work and the production department would take it from there to complete the necessary steps to get the books ready for the printer. I'd find it hard to believe that Barks had time to do this considering he was writing, drawing and inking his own work which were three different jobs at other companies!! I know Barks worked with the editors at Western's Los Angeles office but the production facilities were in Racine Wisconsin. Picture below I took years ago when rolling through there on vacation.

It just seems more likely to me that his work would have sent to the production office to get moving. I'm sure someone knows.

Racine1.jpg.61367805a3e92ff6aefa224e381faf9c.jpg

Not only did he not do the color, I'm not even sure he did the pen and ink on that cover.

A lot of those FC covers were Buettner not Barks.   

You'll note the CGC label says Barks story and art (silent as to cover...).

On 7/21/2021 at 10:22 AM, Badger said:

Really love the color of the bull. Barks was a master at using color and shading to comunicate and enhance moods.

The dangers of waxing poetic.. ! :baiting::insane:

On 7/21/2021 at 12:14 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Western was in the production business and typically the artist would hand in his black and white work and the production department would take it from there to complete the necessary steps to get the books ready for the printer. I'd find it hard to believe that Barks had time to do this considering he was writing, drawing and inking his own work which were three different jobs at other companies!! I know Barks worked with the editors at Western's Los Angeles office but the production facilities were in Racine Wisconsin. Picture below I took years ago when rolling through there on vacation.

It just seems more likely to me that his work would have sent to the production office to get moving. I'm sure someone knows.

Racine1.jpg.61367805a3e92ff6aefa224e381faf9c.jpg

I yield to the wisdom of the boards! (worship):)

On 7/21/2021 at 1:32 PM, Bronty said:

Not only did he not do the color, I'm not even sure he did the pen and ink on that cover.

A lot of those FC covers were Buettner not Barks.   

You'll note the CGC label says Barks story and art (silent as to cover...).

So you're saying everyone got it right but me? What is this the grading contest?

On 7/21/2021 at 11:34 AM, Bronty said:

GCD has it as probably Buettner:

Dangerous Disguise(Table of Contents)

Donald Duck / cover / 1 page(report information)

Pencils
Carl Buettner ?
Inks
Carl Buettner ?
Colors
Western Publishing Production Shop
Letters
?

Yeah Buettner actually did some great covers on those Four Colors. His duck was really spot on for the covers; probably more so than Barks. But he probably couldn't spin a yarn like Uncle Carl or create the pathos in all those great stories.

On 7/21/2021 at 5:23 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Yeah Buettner actually did some great covers on those Four Colors. His duck was really spot on for the covers; probably more so than Barks. But he probably couldn't spin a yarn like Uncle Carl or create the pathos in all those great stories.

I saw this cartoon by Buettner recently and it reminded me of good girl art by Barks.

51327001416_c56b66b3d6_b.jpg

On 7/21/2021 at 6:01 PM, BB-Gun said:

I saw this cartoon by Buettner recently and it reminded me of good girl art by Barks.

51327001416_c56b66b3d6_b.jpg

Ha ha that's a great cartoon and yes it is reminiscent of some of Barks work in that vein! I'm assuming that is from the war years.

On 7/20/2021 at 5:37 PM, Yellow Kid said:

I have been looking at my ducks and enjoying the memories associated with most of them.  Dangerous Disguise (FC 308) has always been a favorite from the time I bought it at the drugstore and found Barks using real people in the story.  

Barks DD Four Color 308.jpg

I like this scene from the comic.  It makes me think of From Russia with Love or "39 Duck Steps".

1781191648_309c778b35_b.jpg

On 7/21/2021 at 4:23 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Since I started posting to this group I learned that a lot of the FC covers I love are not by Barks. Buettner did a great job.:applause:

On 7/21/2021 at 9:23 AM, AJD said:

Could be Frank. It's also in Barrier's book 'Carl Barks and the art of the comic book'. (p.68 in my paperback copy.)

He also mentions that there are realistic humans in 'The magic hourglass'.

I think the Arab raiders were human.  By the way, Magic Hourglass was one of the first comics that I read as a youth.  I loved it but cut up the cover to see how the animated cover worked.

51328515438_c622ee2725_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun