• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

Wiki:

Sports reporters later shortened the nickname to "Ducks", and by the 1930s a small white duck named "Puddles" was brought to sports events. Beginning in 1940, cartoon drawings of Puddles in student publications began to resemble Donald Duck. Walt Disney questioned the resemblance in 1947. Capitalizing on his friendship with a Disney cartoonist, Oregon Athletic Director Leo Harris met Disney in Los Angeles and reached an informal handshake agreement that granted the University of Oregon permission to use Donald as its sports mascot. The only record of that agreement was a photo showing Harris, Disney, and two others crouched around a live white duck.[3] Relying on the photo as evidence of Disney's wishes, the University in 1990 negotiated formal permission from Disney Enterprises to use the likeness of the Donald Duck character as a symbol for (and restricted to) Oregon sports.[2]

The mascot that appears in graphic art is more similar to Donald Duck than the actual mascot that appears at University functions, which has a rounder head and body than typical renditions of the Donald Duck character. A Nike-designed futuristic rubber-suit wearing duck, nicknamed "Duck Vader", "Mandrake", or "RoboDuck" by the student body, began appearing at athletic events in 2003,[3] though as of 2007 this mascot is no longer in use.

The freaky thing about Madam Triple X is that she appears to be a real human being, as opposed to the humanoid dogs that Barks typically used as "people".

Am I wrong or is this the famous story where after submission/publication, the editors told Barks to never draw humans in the strip again?

From OSPG #7 :)

"This story [FC 308] was distinguished by its use of human beings. Humans surfaced occasionally, (US No. 6, WDCS No. 158, FC No. 275 and Adventure Down Under in FC No. 159), but they never dominated a story. "It came about through a moment of foolishness on my part," recalls Barks. "I felt that I wanted to draw some human faces. I stuck them in that story and got slapped around about it. They didn't like it, and they told me not to do that again.""

I have not read many Barks/Disney/Duck comics. But I have read, reread, and re-reread the 1957 one-shot "Uncle Scrooge Goes To Disneyland. I did'nt much care for it the first time but aafter rereading it I have grown to love Barks's work! I can now talk and read this thread with increasing enjoyment everyday.

just wanted to share how I got into GA Ducks (Thumbs u

Wiki:

Sports reporters later shortened the nickname to "Ducks", and by the 1930s a small white duck named "Puddles" was brought to sports events. Beginning in 1940, cartoon drawings of Puddles in student publications began to resemble Donald Duck. Walt Disney questioned the resemblance in 1947. Capitalizing on his friendship with a Disney cartoonist, Oregon Athletic Director Leo Harris met Disney in Los Angeles and reached an informal handshake agreement that granted the University of Oregon permission to use Donald as its sports mascot. The only record of that agreement was a photo showing Harris, Disney, and two others crouched around a live white duck.[3] Relying on the photo as evidence of Disney's wishes, the University in 1990 negotiated formal permission from Disney Enterprises to use the likeness of the Donald Duck character as a symbol for (and restricted to) Oregon sports.[2]

The mascot that appears in graphic art is more similar to Donald Duck than the actual mascot that appears at University functions, which has a rounder head and body than typical renditions of the Donald Duck character. A Nike-designed futuristic rubber-suit wearing duck, nicknamed "Duck Vader", "Mandrake", or "RoboDuck" by the student body, began appearing at athletic events in 2003,[3] though as of 2007 this mascot is no longer in use.

All of the above is true, but from what I understand Leo Harris's meeting with Disney was set up via Barks. This is not confirmed, but that is the way I was told via a friend of mine who's friend is an assistant AD at U of O. The "Donald Duck" can be used still to this day, and is. All use is to be kept in Oregon and not on Merchandise sold outside of the State. I am not privy to the actuall "new agreement", but the ROBO Duck and other Ducks were brought in to replace the "Donald Duck" unitll the University Decided to go with the "O" as the symbol of the University. Basically Donald is Ok to be used in U of O functions, but not to raise funds, or more likely compete with Disney for merchandise related to Donald.

Could someone please explain this sale to me??

Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #21 CGC 7.0

$1200 for a FN/VF copy?!?!?!?!? :o

Not sure GPA has a 7.0 (8/05) 517.50 and a 6.5 (1/06) 253. Bidding war maybe? First CGC one in almost 2 years?

Edit: Could be a bad sign as I consider starting to go after the early Barks. OTOH, I've seen some semi-keys Barks sold lately without that lunacy.

Edited by Transplant

Could someone please explain this sale to me??

Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #21 CGC 7.0

$1200 for a FN/VF copy?!?!?!?!? :o

Not sure GPA has a 7.0 (8/05) 517.50 and a 6.5 (1/06) 253. Bidding war maybe? First CGC one in almost 2 years?

Edit: Could be a bad sign as I consider starting to go after the early Barks. OTOH, I've seen some semi-keys Barks sold lately without that lunacy.

The sub-100 WDC&S market has been crazy the last couple of years, for mid-grades as well as high grade, and the issues in the 40s and below have been REALLY crazy, in all grades.

I listed the #21 for sale because I have been consolidating my collection to focus on higher grades. I currently have no plans to sell any of my other early WDC&S unless I get to upgrade.

I listed the #21 for sale because I have been consolidating my collection to focus on higher grades. I currently have no plans to sell any of my other early WDC&S unless I get to upgrade.
It must have been a burden to have that dog in your collection. :baiting: But it must have been wonderful to pull multiples of GPA for it when you were able to get it gone. :luhv:

Congrats on a great sale! :applause: