• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,455 posts in this topic

I'd be just as happy with mid grade copies or even solid vg's. There's just something about collecting books with great covers and great stories as well. I just re-read "The Second Richest Duck", so I'm high on Barks. One more question....were there any significant WWII war covers by Barks?

I think Kelly or Buettner did the WWII themed covers in WDC&S (20, 22, 46, 58). I can't think of any war themed Barks covers in that title or the Four Colors.

Edited by Transplant

I have a question for you Barks experts. Does the fact that a book has more Bark's content make a difference in desirability?

I have always liked this Vacation Parade issue. Three stories by Barks (55 pages total) and one of them is 33 pages long.

bb

2473136685_5702080e7f_b.jpg

Holy cow!! Has anyone seen the prices on the Uncle Scrooges in the Heritage signature auction? They're all over $2100 already, even the 9.4 copies! :o

maybe a couple of folks that really want?

Really want would be the understatement of the century. And crazy. These books are not that rare in that grade (or at least won`t be, if these are top of census).

Maybe the same buyers of zilla4f`s SAs have decided to become Duck collectors? lol

Holy cow!! Has anyone seen the prices on the Uncle Scrooges in the Heritage signature auction? They're all over $2100 already, even the 9.4 copies! :o

maybe a couple of folks that really want?

Really want would be the understatement of the century. And crazy. These books are not that rare in that grade (or at least won`t be, if these are top of census).

Maybe the same buyers of zilla4f`s SAs have decided to become Duck collectors? lol

sometimes folks get caught up in the "now" too (thumbs u

I think Kelly or Buettner did the WWII themed covers in WDC&S (20, 22, 46, 58). I can't think of any war themed Barks covers in that title or the Four Colors.

The Gremlin covers could be considered a war time theme. I think they were part of the home front propaganda campaign to encourage better quality, greater productivity and less errors. I don't think they were really looking for spies or thought that they were wrecking planes. Below is my beat up copy of the cover which has some repair work.

bb

2474684672_6d95f9e3df_b.jpg

The Gremlin covers could be considered a war time theme. I think they were part of the home front propaganda campaign to encourage better quality, greater productivity and less errors. I don't think they were really looking for spies or thought that they were wrecking planes. Below is my beat up copy of the cover which has some repair work.

bb

WHOOOOOOO -- I didn't know this issue was on my want list until just now!

What a great Kelly cover! I see that there's a 2-page Gremlin Gus and the Widgets story by Kelly in the issue. Donald's not in it, is he? Were there any actual crossovers between the Gremlins and Donald or any other Disney character? Is this cover the only example?

Jack

I'd be just as happy with mid grade copies or even solid vg's. There's just something about collecting books with great covers and great stories as well. I just re-read "The Second Richest Duck", so I'm high on Barks. One more question....were there any significant WWII war covers by Barks?

The second richest duck, great story!!

bb

WHOOOOOOO -- I didn't know this issue was on my want list until just now!

What a great Kelly cover! I see that there's a 2-page Gremlin Gus and the Widgets story by Kelly in the issue. Donald's not in it, is he? Were there any actual crossovers between the Gremlins and Donald or any other Disney character? Is this cover the only example?

Jack

I can't answer any of your questions about the interior other than what you found in the GCD. All I have is a cover. I have several coverless issues between 11 and 47 but no 34. I also have a Vacation Parade 1 cover but I have a complete copy too. Does anyone have the interior for either of these comics? The cover of WDCS seldom refered back to the interior stories and Barks didn't do the covers until issue 95. I have another comic with the Wise Little Hen story which includes Donald. This may be a cross over but there are other stories like Mickey's Fire Brigade which I think included Donald. The story is mostly Text like several other early WDCS stories. Mickey and Donald were also on the cover of 33 and 41 (although MM is not in the Duck in Iron Pants story). The first crossover cover would be issue 3 with Donald and Pluto. I think since these characters started together, a crossover wouldn't be considered unusual in the early issues. But the Barks stories were consistent and generated a world separate from MM after Donalds' introduction as the featured character in the magazine.

bb

Were there any actual crossovers between the Gremlins and Donald or any other Disney character? Is this cover the only example?

Not until 2006 and not in the US yet. There's a 36 page story starring Donald and the Gremlins. I can't tell you exactly what the story line is, seeing my finnish is quite rusty ... but here's the plot summary:

"PAM-agentit Aku ja Touho suuntaavat Brittiläiseen lentotukikohtaan huippusalaisen järjestönsä operaation myötä, mutta äkillinen sokaiseva leimahdus heittää kaksikon ajassa vuosikymmeniä taaksepäin, kaksitasokoneiden aikaan - se on kuitenkin huolista pienin, sillä tukikohtaa riivaa yliluonnollinen ongelma, kun pikkuiset menninkäiset sabotoivat lentokoneita ja aiheuttavat muita onnettomuuksia."

Were there any actual crossovers between the Gremlins and Donald or any other Disney character? Is this cover the only example?

Not until 2006 and not in the US yet. There's a 36 page story starring Donald and the Gremlins. I can't tell you exactly what the story line is, seeing my finnish is quite rusty ... but here's the plot summary:

"PAM-agentit Aku ja Touho suuntaavat Brittiläiseen lentotukikohtaan huippusalaisen järjestönsä operaation myötä, mutta äkillinen sokaiseva leimahdus heittää kaksikon ajassa vuosikymmeniä taaksepäin, kaksitasokoneiden aikaan - se on kuitenkin huolista pienin, sillä tukikohtaa riivaa yliluonnollinen ongelma, kun pikkuiset menninkäiset sabotoivat lentokoneita ja aiheuttavat muita onnettomuuksia."

Aku and Touho the PAM agents direct to Brittiläinen to air base its top secret organisation with operation, but sudden blinding the flash will throw the pair at the time for decades backwards, time kaksitasokone -however, it is the smallest of the worries because the base possesses supernatural problem, when little menninkäinen they sabotage aeroplanes and cause others onnettomuuksia. [i ran out of attempts on that last word]

Almost less clear than in Finnish!

Aku is Donald, right?

Brittiläinen is England??

kaksitasokone??

menninkäinen must be Gremlins

onnettomuuksia must be problems or such

Jack

You must have found a better universal translator than I did. I tried before posting.

It jives with the other stuff I read: The story is Donald and Fethry are thrown back in time and must solve help british planes fly while disrupted by the Gremlins.

The story is part of a series called: Tamers of Nonhuman Threats. Donald and Fethry in turn fight against:

1) liquid space monsters

2) a shape-shifting alien crook

3) giant ghost rats

4) human-size bat-like creatures

5) a kraken monster

6) a scientist about to reveal information about paranormal creatures

7) an english castle ghost

8) the Gremlins discussed above

9) terrible devilbirds on another planet

Wow ... what adventures!!

I found a little better universal translator. With a LOT of tweaking it gave this somewhat understandable translation.

PAM-agents Donald and Fethry are heading into a British airbase for their organization's top secret operation. But a sudden blinding flash transports them decades back in time, into the age of biplanes - however that is one of their least worries, because the airbase is plagued by a supernatural phenomena: tiny Gremlins are sabotaging planes and causing accidents.

;)

I found a little better universal translator. With a LOT of tweaking it gave this somewhat understandable translation.

PAM-agents Donald and Fethry are heading into a British airbase for their organization's top secret operation. But a sudden blinding flash transports them decades back in time, into the age of biplanes - however that is one of their least worries, because the airbase is plagued by a supernatural phenomena: tiny Gremlins are sabotaging planes and causing accidents.

;)

Much better!

I got the same overall gist from my hacked-together (60 characters at a time) translation.

What's PAM?

Presumably nothing to do with cooking spray.

I had never heard of Fethry before -- had to look him up.

Jack

I had never heard of Fethry before -- had to look him up.

That's one of the strangest thing in Disney publishing: the US is a (thankfully) Fethry-free zone. He's ubiquitous in Europe but very little of him has been reproduced in the US. Don't feel like you've missed out on something great ... Donald is supposed to be the funny man to the story's straight man. Why we need yet another funny man in those stories is beyond me.

The Gremlin covers could be considered a war time theme. I think they were part of the home front propaganda campaign to encourage better quality, greater productivity and less errors. [...]

Interesting observation - I had never thought of WDC&S 34 as a WWII cover before. The closest to a Barks wartime cover would probably be Large Feature 7(?), "Pluto Saves the Ship", although he at most would have done the pencil draft for that.

Here is another patriotic cover I found recently (CGC 9.0):

wdcs22_0805.jpg

Don't feel like you've missed out on something great ... Donald is supposed to be the funny man to the story's straight man. Why we need yet another funny man in those stories is beyond me.
Because very few authors have given Donald respect. They often toss him aside at the first chance they get. He's relegated to background character status. Mickey and Donald have become stuffed animals, logo related imagery.

I'm too emotional about it, but I've always been very fond of Donald Duck. Even Scrooge stories are hard for me to appreciate sometimes as Rosa (whom I like) gives Donald the task of carrying Scrooge's luggage.

Don't feel like you've missed out on something great ... Donald is supposed to be the funny man to the story's straight man. Why we need yet another funny man in those stories is beyond me.
Because very few authors have given Donald respect. They often toss him aside at the first chance they get. He's relegated to background character status. Mickey and Donald have become stuffed animals, logo related imagery.

I'm too emotional about it, but I've always been very fond of Donald Duck. Even Scrooge stories are hard for me to appreciate sometimes as Rosa (whom I like) gives Donald the task of carrying Scrooge's luggage.

I agree to a point. Generally, while carrying that luggage it is Donald who will move the story forward by a) hitting a wall with the luggage and open a secret door, b) meeting a porter who will reveal important information for later, c) ingeniously offload that task by hiring an elephant and its driver who serves as a guide, or d) ... You get the fact that the variations are endless but Donald remains a central character. When he is crowded by Fethry in his own stories that's where I find this distracting. In a Scrooge story per se, Donald IS there to provide the slapstick.